Is anyone who owns or has owned both SE and Classic able to comment on pros and cons on keyboards on each device? I'm thinking to upgrade my Classic to SE. Any opinions would really appreciate.

Posted via Classic
    08-11-15 03:12 AM
    I don't own a SE, however you first encounter both devices use a completely different layout. As already stated in another thread, the Classic gives you the well known 4-row BlackBerry keyboard. The shape of the keys is taller and the keyboard has a pretty strong, clicky tactile feedback.

All Passport variants use a hybrid keyboard which consists of a touch-sensitive 3-row physical keyboard, accompanied by a consistent virtual row. Things like numbers and special characters are also entered on a virtual keyboard.
    The original Passport has lower profile shaped keys and, in my experience, has a softer click to them. From what I have read, the new Silver Edition keyboard is even softer, yet offers a more refined click a a reduced travel distance between pressing the key and actually registering the keystroke. The shape also seems to be different again.

Just like the beaten-to-death discussion "Virtual keyboards vs. physical keyboards" you'll find fans on both sides for the new hybrid keyboard of the Passport as well as supporters who still find the traditional BlackBerry keyboard more efficient. After all it depends on your own style of typing which kind of keyboard you prefer. It is hard to say which one is the best per se, a completely individual thing.

Edit:
    It is also worth noting the Passport has wider keys, making them easier to use if you got bigger thumbs. Also typing on the Classic is IMHO more tiring for your thumbs as it is on the Classic, however travel times between the keys can be IMHO more exhausting on the Passport due to the added wide.
    Last edited by Taigatrommel; 08-11-15 at 06:24 AM.
    ma678 likes this.
    08-11-15 06:12 AM
    the SE keys are different as they are coated in a soft-touch material that adds to the typing comfort and likely helps with the gestures. The Classic keys are durable hard with no comprise.

With the SE you may find value in the swipe to delete and swipe up to add word features.

You will get used to the different layout but for some time you will press the "z" many times thinking it is "shift".. rest assured.

Posted via CB10
    ma678 likes this.
    08-11-15 10:15 AM
    I have both.

The thing is, I think the Classic's keyboard feel is inconsistent. My Classic keyboard feels perfect to type on, but others might find theirs too clicky or mushy.

The SE definitely has lighter feeling buttons to press, and the physical shape of them is obviously different than the Classic's and even regular Passport's.

Posted via CB10
    ma678 likes this.
    08-11-15 10:16 AM
    I have both.

The thing is, I think the Classic's keyboard feel is inconsistent. My Classic keyboard feels perfect to type on, but others might find theirs too clicky or mushy.

The SE definitely has lighter feeling buttons to press, and the physical shape of them is obviously different than the Classic's and even regular Passport's.

Posted via CB10
    In addition to keyboards, how about answer/end virtual keys on SE compared to physical buttons on Classic? Is it the same gesture as what we use on Z or Q series?

Thanks.

Posted via Classic
    08-11-15 11:11 AM
    In addition to keyboards, how about answer/end virtual keys on SE compared to physical buttons on Classic? Is it the same gesture as what we use on Z or Q series?

Thanks.

Posted via Classic
    It is the same sliding gesture, however you don't have to move the slider all the way to the edge of the screen, rather than about 1/2 of it.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 01:11 PM

Thanks.

Posted via Classic

No, it's like ... If someone is calling you swipe the dot to the green side on the left, or red side to decline on the right, just like the Z10 and Z30 and Q10.

Then to end a call, you press the long End rectangle "button" on the screen like regular Passports.

Love the SE but I love hanging up calls with the real end key on my Classic!
    08-11-15 01:11 PM

Love the SE but I love hanging up calls with the real end key on my Classic!
    Exactly why I have chosen Classic after Z30 and Q10. I prefer physical buttons for answer and end calls.

Posted via Classic
    08-11-15 06:56 PM