I realize that the Passport is now on sale for $599 in the Canadian Shop BlackBerry store. However the US one is now $499, in addition, there are a variety of other deals that people seem to come up with. So I'm wondering, from fellow deal hunters and/or recent purchasers of the Passport. What is the best deal for Canadians?

The US Shop BlackBerry store is tempting, however, I'm not sure how they work with customs or other fees (as well as exchange and all that). Just generally trying to find the best deal. Any help is much appreciated
    11-23-14 01:35 PM
    I can't tell you about what the duty fees will be if you buy one from BlackBerry USA and it it shipped to Canada? I bought one for my cousin in Canada for 499 US yesterday and will bring it over when I go to visit him next week, even with the exchange rate, he is still saving some money.
    11-23-14 01:41 PM
    It's not worth buying from US considering the poor exchange rate and duty. Your best bet is just buy it from BlackBerry Shop CA.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 02:13 PM
    The exchange rate and duty charges you end up saving maybe 10$ for all the extra hassle, i looked into it a couple of weeks ago... i ended up buying from BlackBerry US and had it shipped to a friends house

That is the cheapest option, cost me 640$ US before the sales started

Posted via my game changer BlackBerry Passport
    11-23-14 02:19 PM
    I also looked into buying from the US. I've decided to wait and see if any retailers lower prices on Black Friday. If not I'll buy from shopblackberry.ca with my PayPal. PayPal has a 5% cash back promo on right now. Knocks $30 off....best deal I've seen so far

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 02:27 PM
    My plan is to order from the US site and send it to a post box in Buffalo, NY. If I do this using PayPal and Ebates I should get 10% cash back as well as 6 months no interest financing. The catch is I have to drive to Buffalo from Toronto (2hrs) and simply bring it back across the border. If all goes well it should end up $449 plus tax and gas. Best deal going IMO.

Sent from my Z10. Or was it my Q10? Either way, it was sent from an awesome phone.
    11-23-14 02:31 PM
    I'd say shopblackberry.ca 599 plus shipping and taxes 692. yea sucks. I think it should be 549 but hey
    11-23-14 02:55 PM
    there are no duties payable on this product. just hst as usual. you might have to customs clear - adds $25 possibly. exchange rate if you pay with cc will be ~$1.15. at $ 499 us that works out to $625 or so including shipping. maybe a bit less. Straight up you would save at least $ 68 cad buying from the us compared to $599 plus local shipping plus hst in Canada. Same phone. Save the money. Your only concern might be a return for refund but not warranty as far as I know. Perhaps someone could verify that (and double check my math)
    11-23-14 03:06 PM
    There is no duty. Customs clearance costs nothing if you walk it across the border yourself or have it shipped by USPS and Canada Post. You will have to pay 5% GST when you pick it up at the Post Office or it's delivered to you COD.

If you have it shipped by a courier such as FedEx or UPS, you will have to pay a customs entry fee, usually $25-45, depending on the carrier. Shipping cost will also be higher, but you will get it sooner.

I've had more and more items shipped by USPS in their flat rate boxes, and I've been quite pleased with the speed of delivery, especially given the cost savings. Most things arrive within a week.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    11-23-14 04:28 PM
    My plan is to order from the US site and send it to a post box in Buffalo, NY. If I do this using PayPal and Ebates I should get 10% cash back as well as 6 months no interest financing. The catch is I have to drive to Buffalo from Toronto (2hrs) and simply bring it back across the border. If all goes well it should end up $449 plus tax and gas. Best deal going IMO.

Sent from my Z10. Or was it my Q10? Either way, it was sent from an awesome phone.
    How do you earn Ebates on the ShopBlackBerry site?
    11-23-14 09:54 PM
    Wait for another coupon-gate event. I got mine shipped to canada for 607 cad everything in

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    11-23-14 10:16 PM
    I also looked into buying from the US. I've decided to wait and see if any retailers lower prices on Black Friday. If not I'll buy from shopblackberry.ca with my PayPal. PayPal has a 5% cash back promo on right now. Knocks $30 off....best deal I've seen so far

Posted via CB10
    The fine print on the PayPal Promo is going to bite you in the rear: Go to https://www.paypal-promo.com/cashbackcaapp/sfo?lang=en and read the bottom carefully. MAX $20.00 per purchase. (That's 5% of $400) and max $200 total per PayPal account AND, on top of that, it only counts from your SECOND purchase and on. Oh - and does not count for pre-orders (no Classic) and gift cards, etc.
    ryandh1 likes this.
    11-23-14 10:41 PM
    I just ordered one from amazon.com for 499+shipping+taxes/duty and with the exchange rate it came to 639 and change. If I had ordered it from shopblackberry.ca it would have been 694, so I saved about $55 dollars
    11-23-14 11:13 PM
    I bought mine from ShopBlackBerry US site, you would pay the 499 and taxes for your province in my case the 13% HST and 20 or so dollars shipping. When I had it shipped it was $12. Only thing is taxes are in US funds as well.

Hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 11:41 PM
    For those that buy from the US do you have any compatibility problems connecting to Canadian Carriers?

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 12:04 AM
    For those that buy from the US do you have any compatibility problems connecting to Canadian Carriers?

Posted via CB10
    All Passports are exactly the same.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 12:23 AM
    Thanks for the input everyone, this feedback will definitely help me going forward.

Seems like it's generally okay going either way. US route being a bit cheaper with some hassle. Canadian being a bit cheaper with less hassle.

At least the price difference isn't massive, so it's not like you're making a mistake either way.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 01:37 AM
    I just ordered a used (very good condition) Passport from Amazon.com for $454.99usd plus tax (US taxes I guess?) my order came to $493.66usd (incl free shipping within the US) which is $574.25cad with today's visa exchange rate (1.1633)

I'm a Canadian who lives 10 mins from the border just out of Vancouver. I use a shipping broker just across the line for packages all the time so its easy to go pick stuff up. I can get a tank of cheap gas and six pack of beer when I go across to bring home even more saving too Sometimes I have to pay gst pst when I bring stuff back, other times they just wave me through.. Worst case if I have to pay tax my total will be just over $600cad which is over $90 savings vs ordering from shopblackberry.ca ($694.38 with shipping & gst/pst). I know its a "used" phone but I've had a number of used phones in the past; and coming from the amazon warehouse I don't anticipate any unforseen quality issues.

This ships from amazon warehouse and they have a couple more of these used "very good condition" passports (black) left in stock for $454.99usd if anyone else is interested in some savings

Cheers!
    11-27-14 11:07 PM
    If you know any employee's at BlackBerry you can get it for $475 employee purchase plan. I just ordered one from my friend.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 11:43 PM