Just would like to ask how long does it take to fully charge your passport say from 10% to 100%? Does it take 3 hours?
    10-05-14 09:20 AM
    Just to add, what charger is used (forget what comes in the box 1.8?)
    10-05-14 09:24 AM
    I use the PlayBook charger or the aka BlackBerry Premium Charger.

It chargers in around 2 hours, and that is because of the higher amperage. the device does get hella hot, but it works nicely
    10-05-14 09:52 AM
    I would be curious about this too. Does having such a huge battery mean it takes forever to charge? or can it be refilled quickly? enquiring minds want to know!
    10-05-14 09:54 AM
    I have a variety of third party USB chargers around, and even those outlets with integrated USB ports. I've found that whereas they would charge the Z30 quite fast... the Passport's charging curve seems a little slower. But when I use the trusty old Playbook charger, the Passport charges quite quickly (considering the battery size).

Here's a screen shot of the device manager showing the Passport charged overnight using the Playbook charger.

Charging time of passport-img_20141005_112125.png

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 10:22 AM
    The Passport has to take longer to charge than the Z30.

The Passport battery is nearly 20% bigger than the Z30!

It takes over 2 hours to fully charge with the PlayBook charger.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 10:46 AM
    On my Passport, with original charger (1.3 Amps) it takes about 2 hours to charge from 10 to 100%. Charger gets hot, passport only a bit. Hope this helps.
    10-05-14 12:28 PM
    It takes just under two hrs for a full charge.
    10-05-14 12:37 PM
    It will take a long time even with the PB charger. The size of the battery is almost double of that of the Z10.
    I usually charge my PP monster at home. I would leave it in a corner to charge and fire up BlackBerry Blend.

Using Z30 and Z10
    10-05-14 01:32 PM
    Has anyone used a slow charger say at 500mA? I would charge overnight so speed is not a problem I just need it to be done by the time I wake up in 8 hours. I would rather charge slower whenever possible for better battery health
    timeride likes this.
    10-05-14 01:40 PM
    Can anyone confirm that using the PlayBook charger will not damage the battery? I used to use it on my Z30 all the time but the Telus rep was so against it when I told him. Apparently the voltage difference is bad for the battery?

I don't see why charging it quicker would harm battery life but just wanna make sure. But with the official OEM charger it takes about 3 hours to fully charge

Posted on my snappy new passport!!
    10-05-14 01:44 PM
    It's the amp rating that affects the charge rate and too many amps causes heat which no battery likes.

That being said, the 1.8 Playbook charger has been my goto for my Z10, very fast. The one caveat is that I can cheaply change that battery, and I have 3x now.

With the Passport I plan on using the OEM charger, just like StutterSteps approach. Over the long term the battery that experiences less heat will win out.
    10-05-14 02:54 PM
    Yup... higher amp charger causes heating (or may cause).... heat is an enemy of battery health...
    If battery is cool.. then no issues... but its recommended that you use Oem charger whenever possible.

Posted via CB10... and my awesome Z10
    10-05-14 03:17 PM
    That's not how it works (there's been many threads about this). The amp rating on a charger is only the maximum (sustained) current it will be able to provide without it (the charger) overheating and failing. The charger does not push a higher current, instead it is up to the device to draw the current it needs. Unless there is a design flaw in the device, it should not draw more current than it requires or is safe for the battery. The only thing you will get by using a low rated charger such as 500ma is a burnt charger.

These things aren't exactly liquid filled accumulators with offgassing and requiring periodic fluid topups... lol

So... as long as the voltage rating is within USB spec (5V), the use of a higher current rated charger shouldn't cause any issues.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 03:21 PM