I have discovered that I've purchased a Passport that was listed as unlocked, to find that it should have been listed "unlock code provided".

I'm on AT&T and they've done nothing to update the OS, nor will they, ever (healthy speculation). Because AT&T won't work to provide updates, my fear is that the new Passport I've purchased, even when unlocked, will still be stalled by whichever carrier, to which, it was originally locked.

I'm not into side loading, auto-loaders, etc. I'm not a phone technician, and I don't really have time to spend possibly bricking the phone.

So, my question is this: in the collective experience, is the Passport that is "unlockable" going to suffer from whichever carrier it is originally locked to, even after its unlocked?

I don't want to disqualify the phone from being returned to the seller, and the seller's policy states no modification/alteration from how the package was received.

So, I'm appealing to the users here to share their experience. This is a double-post, of sorts, I realize; however, I could not amend the title to state the question I have, more accurately.

Thanks for your input!
    02-28-17 04:34 AM
    First I think you could spend some time reading in this forum about all the problems people have had with the update 10.3.3.

Second the update does not provide you with any new features, only security certifications that really will not serve you any benefit. You can update you browser using multicert.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59999147

Third, I wish I wasn't getting the update notification cause I am scared to do the update with all the problems I've seen on this forum. The update notification keep popping up and I can't turn it off!!! Errr!!!! Usually it wouldn't be such a big deal but in this case BlackBerry isn't going to rush to fix anything they've messed up for us few strays still lingering on BB10.

Enjoy your device on 10.3.2 I say and don't worry. I love how my Passport works on this version.
    10.3.3 didn't offer any benefit and we only get one more update but I doubt that will offer any new features either. Maybe it will kill WhatsApp like 10.3.3 killed Facebook.....

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 06:36 AM
    So, my question is this: in the collective experience, is the Passport that is "unlockable" going to suffer from whichever carrier it is originally locked to, even after its unlocked?
    Yes, carrier unlocked basically means you're free to use another SIM in it if you wish, but that device will ALWAYS be bound to the carrier it was originally issued to in a multitude of ways.
    02-28-17 06:37 AM
    Yes, carrier unlocked basically means you're free to use another SIM in it if you wish, but that device will ALWAYS be bound to the carrier it was originally issued to in a multitude of ways.
    Hence why I HATE carrier unlocked devices.
    02-28-17 07:08 AM
    Hi, all. Thanks, very much for the input. As I said, the phone from ebay was listed in a clever way, and I'm glad I appealed to those with more experience than I.
    02-28-17 09:05 AM
    Yes I have the exact same experience String. Bought my passport on Ebay the same way. Just swapped out my AT&T iPhone Sim Card to use on it. Currently running 10.3.2.2836. Just a few apps I can't run. Unfortunately Viber, CoC, and Uber would be nice.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 10:45 AM
    Hi, all. Thanks, very much for the input. As I said, the phone from ebay was listed in a clever way, and I'm glad I appealed to those with more experience than I.
    If the carrier you are now with, sells the same variant of the device you have, you will get updates from your new carrier - provided they have an update to give you, of course.
    Last edited by conite; 02-28-17 at 11:18 AM.
    02-28-17 10:48 AM
    According to my passport box, it appears that mine was originally from the UK somewhere. So will have to wait and see if they push out the 10.3.3 update.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 11:16 AM
    Yes I have the exact same experience String. Bought my passport on Ebay the same way. Just swapped out my AT&T iPhone Sim Card to use on it. Currently running 10.3.2.2836. Just a few apps I can't run. Unfortunately Viber, CoC, and Uber would be nice.

Posted via CB10
    CoC works for me, can't really speak for viber or uber
    02-28-17 12:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    CoC works for me, can't really speak for viber or uber
    02-28-17 12:16 PM
    All, is it revealed, anywhere in the codes on the Passport box, whether or not a phone is Factory-Unlocked?

These are the codes fro the box. I'd imagine that the Pin, IMEI, etc., would be too unique to the phone to hold such info. But that's a guess.

Anyone see something, from the below, that may tell?

From the box:
    PRD-59182-037
    Model: RGY181LW

Made in Mexico 6
    For BlackBerry Canada
    02-28-17 12:46 PM
    Fab, are you running10.3.3? Because I am still on a 10.3.2 build. Downloaded CoC when I got the passport last week but couldn't Do any battles or raids. Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 03:24 PM
    I have not broken the tape on the box the phone came in. It's a backup device, and the way the seller's policy is stated, if I open the box, it's not returnable.
    I'm on 10.3.2.858 on my current Passport, and AT&T will have no further updates.

I'm not thrilled about the wording from the ebay seller, and likely, he or she frequents these haunts. I've sent questions to clarify if his return policy disallows opening the box (which I believe - no matter how ridiculous it sounds - it does).

All replies are very much appreciated. 👍 I've asked to which carrier was the phone locked, and got no reply. Soooooo... I'll ask again for clarity. Just don't want to flush $200 down the 🚽 drain.

Worst case scenario is it will be tied to an unknown carrier and I'm not sure what kind of software updates it will receive.
    PhilTasco likes this.
    02-28-17 06:06 PM
    Update: I'm being told that the Passport I purchased is an International Version for which RIM, themselves, provide. And that there is no carrier/network is involved whatsoever. If so, why the unlock code?

AM I OVERCOMPLICATING THIS?? Ha. I have to ask myself... 😃

Anyone ever heard of an International Version that needs to be unlocked?
    02-28-17 06:56 PM
    Did you do a screenshot of the ad? Let's look at the exact wording, if its in English.
    02-28-17 07:52 PM
    Not sure what you mean by Ad, Denise.
    I finally called their support number. Here is what I was told.
    "The phone was designed for use in Europe. In Europe, all BlackBerry phones come with an unlock code from RIM."
    At least someone answered my questions. I have another, coming from B&H, tomorrow. I have more faith that their phone will be as-advertised, Factory Unlocked.

Any European brethren willing to weigh in? Worst case: I return it and I'm out 15% re-stocking fee.

The glam of missing the Passport sale, I suppose. :-/
    02-28-17 08:16 PM
    OK. Now I'm really confused.
    Hope I don't get too many groaners for my questions. 😃

Just picked up a second Passport from a large and reputable vendor. On the website it states the phone is:

"...Carrier-unlocked and may be used with any GSM carrier that uses a frequency or band that this device supports. A SIM card and service plan must be purchased separately. This device's frequencies can be found in the product Specifications under Cellular Network. Your carrier's available frequencies may be found in the links below."

The second phone did not come with an unlock code. Holla! I called their customer service and the fellow there said this. "If you buy a branded phone, it's tied to their network. You have an un-branded phone."

It actually looks to have a mfg date of 161214 (Dec 14, 2016?)

Yikes. I know I'm wearing out my CB brethren, but please bear with me and share your thoughts on this. Oh, the fellow I spoke to said they bought them straight from BlackBerry.

Info, tips, appreciated.

It's likely I'll return (with a 15% restock fee, ouch) or sell the first one, with the unlock code provided.

Thanks! 😀

String
    03-01-17 05:33 PM
    i'm not sure what the other ways are that a phone is tied to a carrier, but a carrier unlocked phone will work on any network, and you should not concern yourself with OTA updates, as an autoloader is the best practice for updates anyhow..

Posted via CBX
    03-01-17 08:22 PM
    Not sure what you mean by Ad, Denise.
    I finally called their support number. Here is what I was told.
    "The phone was designed for use in Europe. In Europe, all BlackBerry phones come with an unlock code from RIM."
    At least someone answered my questions. I have another, coming from B&H, tomorrow. I have more faith that their phone will be as-advertised, Factory Unlocked.

Any European brethren willing to weigh in? Worst case: I return it and I'm out 15% re-stocking fee.

The glam of missing the Passport sale, I suppose. :-/
    He meant the eBay listing title of the seller from whom you bought the device.
    Here is my understanding with eBay purchase:

Seller may put up conditions for return as some sellers offer 14 or 30 days return if you don't like the item, no question asked. This is return due to buyer preference and not due to a fault from the seller. Thus the restocking fee may be applied and item must be in original condition or as specified by seller.

If the listing said 'unlocked' the phone must be unlocked fresh out of the box. If it comes out locked, then regardless of whether an unlock code is provided, the phone is not unlocked as listed. This will be under not as described item. An unlocked code provided with the locked phone while listed as unlocked would also be evidence for mislead listing and/or false listing (I am not sure of the exact term used by eBay for such situation, but eBay does cover this).

BTW, my Passport is UK version and was factory unlocked, so it came unlocked in a sealed box and of course without any code. Traders here have been selling hundreds of the AZERTY version in the last couple of months without the need for any unlock code. The explanation that EU version came with unlock code is BS.

You can see on the label if your Passport version is for EU region or not.

You may also consider checking eBay policy for return, item not as described, and so on.

Posted from my  Passport
    03-02-17 05:08 AM
    Thanks for that clarity. The box states it is usable in Europe and, if used in France, will work on non-harmonized frequencies.
    Def locked.
    Def advertised as UnLocked.

Again, much appreciated.
    03-02-17 05:46 AM
    Update: the Second backup phone is truly unlocked, sealed in the box. No unlock code, no BS. And, the vendor from whom I bought it, clarified a 1 year BlackBerry warranty. The ebay unit is likely to go back.

If someone might be interested in the other phone (I've never opened the box) send a note.

Many thanks for the clarifications and input!

String
    03-02-17 09:30 PM