Good Day Everyone. I have my Passport for just about 1 yr and 4 mths. Its been working beautifully and has helped me do so much on the road with my business (I'm self-employed). However, I recently saw the Screen Lift problem that others experienced. So I did some research on how to rectify it. I disassembled the phone and removed the tape on the top and replaced it with new tape ( the type recommended for mobile phones). I put everything back together and placed a clamp on the top of the screen to hold it while charging.

When I turned it on, that's when my problem started. Everything works great. The Screen Lift is gone, but keys A to G on the 2nd row and Z to Spacebar on the 3rd row no longer function. The entire keypad still works as a track pad, but no luck with those keys. I took it apart and saw that the part on the Motherboard where the cable slots in, is missing one of the gold contact. Now, I have to do alot of Voice Dictation to get texts, emails, bbm and whatsapp sent out ( this works pretty good, even with my Trinidadian Accent, but still not perfect and sometimes takes abit longer.)

Does anyone know if this part can be replaced from the Motherboard?
    Your assistance/advice is welcomed. Its not on warranty. I bought it online and its not available from any suppliers here in Trinidad and Tobago.
    04-09-16 05:20 PM
    Take your phone along to decent mobile repair shop where assistance and technical expertise can be given also burial services should you need it. ⚰

Posted via CB10
    Nick Spagnolo and nige828 like this.
    04-09-16 06:48 PM
    +1 on the mobile repair shop. Hopefully something can be done and best of luck!
    nige828 likes this.
    04-10-16 12:13 AM
    This is the risk we run when we attempt a home repair. Sounds like you accidentally damaged the motherboard.
    nige828 likes this.
    04-10-16 10:43 AM
    This is the risk we run when we attempt a home repair. Sounds like you accidentally damaged the motherboard.
    The phones of today are not like the phones of yesterday, looking back on the phones of yesterday repairing them yourself was easily done
    Today's phones are totally different case.

Posted via CB10
    nige828 likes this.
    04-10-16 10:51 AM
    If all fails just get a Leap for cheap. Great phone for a good price.
    nige828 likes this.
    04-10-16 11:52 AM
    Yeah, I know I damaged it. I took it to 2 different mobile repair shops to fix the Screen Lift before I attempted it. They both were surprised that Blackberry still made Handsets. One guy even tried to sell me a refurbished S5. End result is they both didn't want to attempt to repair it because it was the first time they saw a Passport.
    So, I know its gonna cost some money, I already accepted that. What I'm trying to do is find out if that part can be removed(possibly with a heat gun) and another one re soldered onto the Motherboard. I've repaired my own phones from the 7130 to 8310 to 9000, 9900, Z10 and a couple Lumias and iPhones too. I'm not a pro, but I try to work my way carefully. Unfortunately I screwed up this time(and boy does it hurt) trying to do the repair too quickly. If the part can be removed, I'll get a used phone on ebay and swap it. If it isn't, then I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get a new one.
    04-10-16 09:53 PM
    I would look for a soldering expert and show the repair that is needed. Repair people will be too stupid and pig headed to listen to you and have no knowledge of these phones or how to do a good solder. You are probably more skilled than they (depending on where you are).

Posted via CB10
    nige828 likes this.
    04-10-16 10:05 PM
    Here's a list of all the commercially available parts, which sadly does not include what you need...

BlackBerry Passport Replacement Parts - ETrade Supply

That being said I DO like the broken phone idea, I think there IS some hope there, just need to make sure you get one with that part working which is a crap shoot. Getting a non working passport probably means water damage and that could mean that part shorted too, OR it might be fine.
    nige828 likes this.
    04-11-16 09:12 AM
    All of the components on the mainboard will probably be standard, not necessarily "passport" components - just generic electronic components. This is most likely a standard connector type. Look in RS or similar outlet for the connector.

You need a *good* electronics repair shop, one that understands what soldering is, knows what "reballing" means, and knows how to do it. Lots of "mobile repair" shops just know how to take the back off with a star driver and swap out the battery and motherboard. Not that I'm disdainful of mobile repair shops, but there is no actual craft or skill in opening up a phone and swapping the battery out. Actual electronics repair is something that a lot of them don't do. "Oh, yeah your phone is broken - we don't know how to fix it, we'll just sell you another one that we have a stack of spare boards for" </rant>

Posted via CB10
    nige828 likes this.
    04-11-16 09:45 AM
    Perhaps a portable keyboard and mouse might save you time and money. Works fantastic with bb10 products.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 12:01 PM
    PKCABLE, Thanks for the suggestion. I'm already a member or this site and they have great quality items, but not what I need.
    04-11-16 05:00 PM
    So this screen lift issue if just for Passport SE or it happens in OG as well?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 05:08 PM
    Find a blacklisted passport cheap swap mainboard and your good

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 05:12 PM
    So, here is the update. I looked around and searched for a used Passport for parts. Price was reasonable. However, after another colleague experienced the same screen lift issue. I basically changed my mind about trying to get the keypad and mainboard repaired.

End result, I purchased a Priv. Am I a happy camper. NO! Really hoping it will grow on me. I did alot of research and read alot of reviews of the Priv before the purchase was made. But this phone really disappoints me. I've been loyal to BB since '08 and I hope they don't kill BB10. Passport was the best device for me and keeping abreast of everything with my business. That's my opinion. My wife caved and I had to get her an S7 Edge.

Is it the end of the world? Nope, but I really really hope that Blackberry can do much better and perform to their true potential that we all know they can.

Thanks fellow Crackberry colleagues for your suggestions, I really appreciate them all. Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna sit and try to learn about Android (that hurts just saying it).
    Jrox74 likes this.
    05-09-16 04:45 PM