I'm jumping away from my Verizon Q10 and headed towards a Passport. I will likely go with ATT for my carrier, but I'm wondering if I should just pay full price for the phone or just do the subsidized/contract price, instead. The larger, upfront cost isn't an issue and I would likely purchase it from Amazon or some other online place, instead of paying over $100 more for the ATT full retail price ($649-699). I think I saw it for $550 on Amazon for an unlocked phone. I never travel overseas or anything, so unlocked doesn't really benefit me. I guess I'm more interested in how I go about obtaining OS updates, since I wouldn't be using an ATT-branded device. Will I be able to just get those updates installed through Link? Or, will I still be able to get them through ATT since I would be using their network? I've always used the carrier-supplied OS updates, even though they're really slow at releasing them. I just didn't want the hassle of trying to sideload anything, since I have better things to do with my time. LOL

Any input for me? TIA!
    06-02-15 10:58 AM
    I'm jumping away from my Verizon Q10 and headed towards a Passport. I will likely go with ATT for my carrier, but I'm wondering if I should just pay full price for the phone or just do the subsidized/contract price, instead. The larger, upfront cost isn't an issue and I would likely purchase it from Amazon or some other online place, instead of paying over $100 more for the ATT full retail price ($649-699). I think I saw it for $550 on Amazon for an unlocked phone. I never travel overseas or anything, so unlocked doesn't really benefit me. I guess I'm more interested in how I go about obtaining OS updates, since I wouldn't be using an ATT-branded device. Will I be able to just get those updates installed through Link? Or, will I still be able to get them through ATT since I would be using their network? I've always used the carrier-supplied OS updates, even though they're really slow at releasing them. I just didn't want the hassle of trying to sideload anything, since I have better things to do with my time. LOL

Any input for me? TIA!
    As for OS updates. AT&T will push updates for their version. I have my unlocked Passports from shopblackberry and receive updates directly from BlackBerry now.

Do you prefer one over the other? In my opinion, it makes more sense to purchase the original outright. It's usually on sale here and there for no more than $499. I received a black one for $449 in Sept after I was refunded some coupon code from shopblackberry and the red was on sale in Nov for $499.

On top of that, depending on how much data you use, you will receive a discount if you bring your own device to AT&T. I am receiving their smallest discount which is $15/month and had the original on AT&T for almost 9 months so that's an additional $135 off so far just for bringing my own device.

Do you plan on getting insurance. You would have the warranty from BlackBerry for the original, but wouldn't cover a cracked screen and such. Think insurance through BlackBerry is $4.99/month. Cheaper than AT&T, but does not cover lost or stolen devices.

I personally wouldn't pay full retail for the AT&T version or pay extra a month on top of the lost discount for bringing your own device... it's just not worth almost $700 to me.

Just some quick thoughts to digest :-)

Edit: Welcome to the club... I left an unlimited data plan on Verizon for the Passport and the most logical carrier is AT&T if you want decent coverage.

Posted via CB10
    SpamHammer and zoomzoom71 like this.
    06-02-15 11:08 AM
    I went through the same debate & ended up buying through Amazon. I wanted the original Passport & didn't want to wait for carrier updates. I'll be switching from Verizon this coming weekend & will finally get to use the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    zoomzoom71 likes this.
    06-02-15 01:32 PM
    I like avoiding the carrier phones if possible...I want updates directly from Blackberry. That's a big deal to me.

Sent from Tapatalk
    zoomzoom71 likes this.
    06-02-15 01:52 PM
    The unlocked international version is the better deal of the two. It can be had for $220 less than the AT&T version when you have a coupon.

That being said, I think the AT&T version is the better device of the two. It's the one I tested before purchase and the keypad is a bit better (it's not as stiff and the space bar isn't as recessed I think), plus the screen being recessed around the edges looks nicer in my opinion, and wireless charging is a nice bonus. Is all that worth $200+ more? I don't think so, but others may.

In addition to that, finding accessories and skins for the AT&T version is harder than locating them for the unlocked version, and that was a motivating factor to me.

On the other hand, getting it for little or no money down is a very nice consideration if money's tight. A lot of people aren't used to paying $450-$670 up front for a phone and budgeting $200 for a phone is a lot easier for many people.

Posted via CB10
    zoomzoom71 likes this.
    06-02-15 03:56 PM
    Great responses, folks. Yeah, the upfront expense is no issue for me, since I have it readily available and can use the expense on my business taxes.
    06-02-15 04:16 PM
    Look for a full price unlocked model that you want.
    Then, either with a new credit card, Amazon Sore Card, or PayPal credit (ShopBlackberry had this me thinks) purchase it. These modes of payment do not incur any interest charges (as long as it is paid off by the 6month or 12 month deadline.)
    If you do not pay it off in that time, they will charge you all the interest for those 6 or 12 months.
    if you can work it out that way. Better. An unlocked phone is much more valuable and useful than one which is locked to a carrier.
    zoomzoom71 likes this.
    06-02-15 05:18 PM
    I went with subsidizing for a few reasons. First, I wanted the ability to walk into a store for one on one help if needed. Second, even though it will cost me more. Even if I bought the one on amazon, which is cheaper overall. I would have charged it and it would have cost me the same or even more in the long run. Third, I actually like the design of the At&t variant. The rounded edges are comfy and the recessed glass looks as it may possibly avoid glass lifting. Fourth, I may go with the carrier insurance on this one. For convenience and piece of mind.

The only two things in my opinion that are big for others, is having the original form factor. It is beautiful and elegant. The other would be for the pushed updates from BlackBerry. Personally, with the exception of the Classic. All of my smartphones have been carrier specific and I've never cared about how fast I got my update. In some cases, I've been happy that I had to wait. There have been times when updates have been pushed that were not quite ready for prime time. iOS 8.1 anyone?

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new Passport. Either way, your getting a wonderful device.

Oh, one last thing. The more the average consumer buys carrier specific. The more it shows them that Blackberry is still very much alive and kicking.

Posted via CB10
    zoomzoom71 likes this.
    06-02-15 05:29 PM
    I bought mine off Amazon in "Like New" Condition and it was flawless. I am currently updating an OTA update using Cricket
    zoomzoom71 and leglace1 like this.
    06-02-15 05:35 PM
    Oh, one last thing. The more the average consumer buys carrier specific. The more it shows them that Blackberry is still very much alive and kicking.

That's a really good point. I'm sure they know which devices are being used on their network, though. Thanks for your input.
    06-02-15 05:41 PM
    I purchased from Shopblackberry on sale and with a discount code. It was right at $400 OTD. I used it on TMO-USA for a bit, but coverage was terrible inside buildings. Switched to Cricket (they use ATT towers, but speed capped), and have been pleased. I have 5 lines with unlimited talk/text and a total of 22.5 GB/month for $130. Even with my employer discount, ATT can't come close to price.

Without question or hesitation I would buy unlocked from Shopblackberry or Amazon.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.
    zoomzoom71 likes this.
    06-02-15 05:58 PM
    att is now charging the etf fee to unlock your phone. You can have unlocked here though.

How to Unlock BlackBerry PASSPORT Unlock Code entry instructions!� - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    zoomzoom71 likes this.
    06-02-15 06:33 PM
    I did what you are contemplating. Was w/ Big Red and a Q, bought a PP on Amazon and went to AT&T. No regrets. Lower monthly rate, and updates come in fast.

BleedBlk-
    zoomzoom71 likes this.
    06-02-15 06:36 PM
    Others have already mentioned it. So I'll merely reiterate it, buy unlocked from BlackBerry or Amazon. The OS updates will come to your device FIRST versus carrier devices. And the resale value of officially unlocked is much higher...
    zoomzoom71 likes this.
    06-02-15 07:03 PM
    Switched to Cricket (they use ATT towers, but speed capped), and have been pleased. I have 5 lines with unlimited talk/text and a total of 22.5 GB/month for $130. Even with my employer discount, ATT can't come close to price.
    That's interesting about Cricket. I would've never considered a prepay plan, and I always thought they were more expensive. I've always done post-pay. 2.5GB is way more than I currently use on my Q10. I barely pass 1GB in a billing cycle. So, is Cricket reliable? I guess if it's owned by and uses the ATT network, that's about as good as it gets, huh?
    06-02-15 09:04 PM
    So, is Cricket reliable?
    I haven't been without a signal, even deep inside some thick concrete and steel buildings that TMO cannot get through the door and Big Red gets lost on the way.

The one issue to consider is data speed. For LTE it's capped at 8 Gb/s. It is noticeably slower than the fastest signal I had at TMO, but fast enough for me, and much more reliable.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.
    zoomzoom71 likes this.
    06-02-15 09:16 PM
    I haven't been without a signal, even deep inside some thick concrete and steel buildings that TMO cannot get through the door and Big Red gets lost on the way.

The one issue to consider is data speed. For LTE it's capped at 8 Gb/s. It is noticeably slower than the fastest signal I had at TMO, but fast enough for me, and much more reliable.

Excellent info! I'll give them a serious look.
    06-02-15 09:51 PM
    Even if I bought the one on amazon, which is cheaper overall. I would have charged it and it would have cost me the same or even more in the long run.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure how this was worked out? AT&T wants close to $700. If you bought on contract for two years for +$200, the original would still be less.

As I wrote, many don't realize that if you purchase unlocked from shopblackberry then AT&T will discount at minimum $15/month depending on your plan. So 24 months X $15/month discount = $360 off over the two year contract time.

I, personally, couldn't commit to a contract for that long anyway and have a lot more bargaining chips not being locked in.

Anyway, my point being the original is usually purchased around here at $499. Take the $360 that AT&T gives you back for purchasing the original and you'd have paid $139 for the original and could probably sell for more since it's unlocked. This is with the minimum discount.

If you have a higher tier data plan AT&T will give $25/month discount bringing the original over two years to the point that AT&T just paid you over $100 for bringing your own Passport at $499.

My point is that using a carrier subsidy will cost less at first, but as most here realize, you pay more in the long run by purchasing subsidized devices through carriers.

If you went with their monthly payments the original would obviously be less.

I can understand some of the other points you make if that's your personal preference, but purchasing unlocked has update and resale advantages if that matters; and in the long run of the general two year contract will cost less. If not, enjoy your device either way!

Just putting out real numbers for those on the fence. For most things in life it usually costs less to pay up front!

Was just debating this with a friend and my opinion was if you cannot afford to purchase the device outright, you should look at a different device.

He is waiting for the S6 Active and still has to pay off his S4/5? Active. So he'll be paying that off and starting another payment plan for the S6 Active when it's released.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 10:27 PM
    I'm not sure how this was worked out? AT&T wants close to $700. If you bought on contract for two years for +$200, the original would still be less.

As I wrote, many don't realize that if you purchase unlocked from shopblackberry then AT&T will discount at minimum $15/month depending on your plan. So 24 months X $15/month discount = $360 off over the two year contract time.

I, personally, couldn't commit to a contract for that long anyway and have a lot more bargaining chips not being locked in.

Anyway, my point being the original is usually purchased around here at $499. Take the $360 that AT&T gives you back for purchasing the original and you'd have paid $139 for the original and could probably sell for more since it's unlocked. This is with the minimum discount.

If you have a higher tier data plan AT&T will give $25/month discount bringing the original over two years to the point that AT&T just paid you over $100 for bringing your own Passport at $499.

My point is that using a carrier subsidy will cost less at first, but as most here realize, you pay more in the long run by purchasing subsidized devices through carriers.

If you went with their monthly payments the original would obviously be less.

I can understand some of the other points you make if that's your personal preference, but purchasing unlocked has update and resale advantages if that matters; and in the long run of the general two year contract will cost less. If not, enjoy your device either way!

Just putting out real numbers for those on the fence. For most things in life it usually costs less to pay up front!
    I agree with what you are saying. When I decided to buy my Passport, my original intent was to try the att version and then just return it and possibly order the one online. However, I kind of like this version and simply stuck with it. I went with the next program and decided to pay monthly. It may not sound practical, but it's what I'm ok with.

Having the updates pushed later again, not an issue. Besides, my unlocked Classic takes care of that. As for resale, In almost 20 years of mobile phone use. I've never sold any mobile device.

Finally, this one may **** people off. I'll get over it. I work in commission based sales. I get totally pissed when I put in a hard days work and get negated because of a fickle customer (and it happens way too often). Or one that wants to test our products and then just order online. If the service and product was good. I don't want to screw with someone's commission that they've earned in my eyes. This is just my personal view. Not criticizing anyone here. It's just how I feel. I bought my Classic from amazon because it wasn't available in store and I really knew that I wanted it. The Passport was a different story.

Either way, you are right. You do get the original Passport now at a decent price and you have a nice choice of color. Finally, You can add the protection plan from Blackberry. That's pretty awesome.

Anyway, may you enjoy your Passport. It really is a sweet Blackberry. Regardless of which version

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 10:58 PM
    [QUOTE]

The one issue to consider is data speed. For LTE it's capped at 8 Gbps[/I QUOTE]

I think you mean 8Mbps. :-)

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 10:58 PM
    I agree with what you are saying. When I decided to buy my Passport, my original intent was to try the att version and then just return it and possibly order the one online. However, I kind of like this version and simply stuck with it. I went with the next program and decided to pay monthly. It may not sound practical, but it's what I'm ok with.

Having the updates pushed later again, not an issue. Besides, my unlocked Classic takes care of that. As for resale, In almost 20 years of mobile phone use. I've never sold any mobile device.

Finally, this one may **** people off. I'll get over it. I work in commission based sales. I get totally pissed when I put in a hard days work and get negated because of a fickle customer (and it happens way too often). Or one that wants to test our products and then just order online. If the service and product was good. I don't want to screw with someone's commission that they've earned in my eyes. This is just my personal view. Not criticizing anyone here. It's just how I feel. I bought my Classic from amazon because it wasn't available in store and I really knew that I wanted it. The Passport was a different story.

Either way, you are right. You do get the original Passport now at a decent price and you have a nice choice of color. Finally, You can add the protection plan from Blackberry. That's pretty awesome.

Anyway, may you enjoy your Passport. It really is a sweet Blackberry. Regardless of which version

Posted via CB10
    I was just questioning the pricing. Definitely enjoy the hell out of the Passport. It is awesome. I went with my mom to get her an AT&T version Passport for $200 on a contract. They had both the Classic and Passport on display and was impressed with the Classic as well.

For me, I'm good with my Passport from shopblackberry. I can understand your sales pitch as well. We called ahead and told them not to open the box until we get there then asked for the nano-sim to set her up and activate when I wanted to; but we still purchased from them.

I did test run the Classic though. Trying to wait for the blue one. If the Q5 goes on sale beforehand I'm just getting that instead for half the price.

Anyway, enjoy the Passport. I like the feel of the AT&T version better, but the aesthetics of the original better. All personal preference. Enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 01:46 AM
    [QUOTE=SpamHammer;11687618]

The one issue to consider is data speed. For LTE it's capped at 8 Gbps[/I QUOTE]

I think you mean 8Mbps. :-)

Posted via CB10
    What are typical speeds that aren't capped? 8Mbps isn't terribly slow and may be fine for my usage. I'm not a big media user and I have an iPad (data w/ VZW) for that anyway. And, when I do use a lot of data, I'm on wifi.
    06-03-15 06:45 AM
    I was just questioning the pricing. Definitely enjoy the hell out of the Passport. It is awesome. I went with my mom to get her an AT&T version Passport for $200 on a contract. They had both the Classic and Passport on display and was impressed with the Classic as well.

For me, I'm good with my Passport from shopblackberry. I can understand your sales pitch as well. We called ahead and told them not to open the box until we get there then asked for the nano-sim to set her up and activate when I wanted to; but we still purchased from them.

I did test run the Classic though. Trying to wait for the blue one. If the Q5 goes on sale beforehand I'm just getting that instead for half the price.

Anyway, enjoy the Passport. I like the feel of the AT&T version better, but the aesthetics of the original better. All personal preference. Enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    Ah, it's the nature of the beast. We are all at heart "Crackberry Addicts" . I totally love my Classic, for it has that perfect in hand balance and is very pocket friendly. It's a great on the go phone. On the flip side, the Passport provides me with a great reading experience. Whether it be social, email or news. At 47 and 35+ years wearing glasses. This is a blessing.

My wife likes to make fun of me and she shakes her head when she sees me with two smartphones. This actually goes back to when I was trying out the HTC One X and still could not let go of my 9930.

Good chat.
    06-03-15 06:45 AM
    [QUOTE=zoomzoom71;11688127]

What are typical speeds that aren't capped? 8Mbps isn't terribly slow and may be fine for my usage. I'm not a big media user and I have an iPad (data w/ VZW) for that anyway. And, when I do use a lot of data, I'm on wifi.

On AT&T in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, LTE is averaging between 17-40Mbps. It's significantly faster than Cricket's cap.

However, 8Mbps is more than fine for browsing, media streaming, and everything else.

I switched back to T-Mobile over the weekend to get their truly unlimited package on a shared plan with my brother. For $50 each we get unlimited everything. Our AT&T DSL was out due to the storms here in Texas, so I had to tether all weekend and I was getting 8Mbps down and 2Mbps up on T-Mobile's non-LTE "4G" (because my phone before my Passport arrived did not have LTE).

So, 8Mbps was definitely fast enough even for desktop use, and actually faster than the house's Internet connection I normally get when the roommates are home and using it.

I just checked my LTE on the Passport and about 30 minutes north of Dallas I am getting 10.5Mbps down and almost 6Mbps up. Some people in Dallas/Fort Worth have clocked over 100Mbps download speeds on T-Mobile!
    zoomzoom71 likes this.
    06-03-15 12:17 PM

Any input for me? TIA!
    You want the unlocked one. ATT won't allow call blocking Apps on the ATT Passport...trust me, I own an ATT one. If you do get the ATT version...get it unlocked if that type of app is important to you.

ρō�┬Єđ bұ mұ Ů�� ρÚ�ρōЯ┬.
    06-14-15 08:46 PM
27 12