So I'm curious... was the friend expressing any kind of impression?
    As Thunderbuck mentioned. We can almost assume that the Passport in itself is a marketing strategy by BlackBerry. People also tend to remember the "unusual" things before they remember the one that looks like all the others
    09-14-14 02:30 PM
    What OP says is possible, IF ANYONE EVER ACTUALLY SEES ONE. This is the problem in the U.S. Just two days ago, I was showing something to one of my clients, and she stopped me and said, "Wait, is that a touch screen Blackberry? When did they come out with that? I've never heard of it."

This was a Real Estate agent, someone who USED to use a Blackberry and works with a whole ton of people who USED to use Blackberry. The Z10 has been available in the U.S. since March of 2013, it's now September of 2014, and she had NO idea that this was even a thing. Never heard of it, and hasn't ever seen anyone else using it. See the problem? After all this time, a PRIME MARKET for Blackberry users (real estate agents, who were some of the first people to get Blackberry phones outside of enterprise users) has totally abandoned it, and knows nothing about the newer versions.

For the record, I do Real Estate Marketing, so I'm dealing with RE agents all the time. I've converted a few of them BACK to Blackberry by demonstrating BB10, but other than those ones that I converted, NONE of them use a Blackberry, old or new. (in fact, I get mocked for being a BB user, until I show them how much better my phone is than theirs.)

So, the Passport could be the greatest phone that Blackberry ever makes, but if no one knows about it, it's never going to go anywhere. I have to wonder what the plan is to get non-enterprise business users (like Real Estate Agents, who were a HUGE market) back in the game.
    CubeDweller likes this.
    09-14-14 05:37 PM
    @Hypnoboy,

How exactly are you showing that Bb10 is better?

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    09-14-14 07:04 PM
    Supa_Fly1. There are several threads in CB that discuss things that BB10 does that other OS's do not. And thongs it does better.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 07:12 PM
    Supa_Fly1. There are several threads in CB that discuss things that BB10 does that other OS's do not. And thongs it does better.

Posted via CB10
    I'm aware of that and those threads mostly are in a general conversation. Since his post specifically mentions about the appeal of Bb10 to him and those in a particular industry something ALL those threads seen to ignore, it's relevant to this thread. My reply to his/her before you interjected would've been hoe did those converted would you think see the benefit of BB10 and how would the Passport appeal to that industry when we're lacking custom applications already hoarding their attention.

This also goes hand in hand not just with the Passport nor just with BB10 but also the countless recent posts on BlackBerry's social mediums stating a bigger push for corporate or enterprise focused applications are needed and currently lacking in your platform: I see only Citrix and Sap having a presence which is paltry by comparison to iOS.

This device will require it since its main focus is at appeasing those in the enterprise space and requires the larger screen.

So my question although simple and seemingly generic has a lot more weight to it and fits into the he dialog and current focus of this thread. Would be juice if you let the person I've quoted directly to answer for themselves instead of policing a very valid question. Look beyond what's asked once in a while to see Its relevance.

Too much policing versus contribution lately in these threads.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    09-14-14 10:58 PM
    What OP says is possible, IF ANYONE EVER ACTUALLY SEES ONE. This is the problem in the U.S. Just two days ago, I was showing something to one of my clients, and she stopped me and said, "Wait, is that a touch screen Blackberry? When did they come out with that? I've never heard of it."

This was a Real Estate agent, someone who USED to use a Blackberry and works with a whole ton of people who USED to use Blackberry. The Z10 has been available in the U.S. since March of 2013, it's now September of 2014, and she had NO idea that this was even a thing. Never heard of it, and hasn't ever seen anyone else using it. See the problem? After all this time, a PRIME MARKET for Blackberry users (real estate agents, who were some of the first people to get Blackberry phones outside of enterprise users) has totally abandoned it, and knows nothing about the newer versions.

For the record, I do Real Estate Marketing, so I'm dealing with RE agents all the time. I've converted a few of them BACK to Blackberry by demonstrating BB10, but other than those ones that I converted, NONE of them use a Blackberry, old or new. (in fact, I get mocked for being a BB user, until I show them how much better my phone is than theirs.)

So, the Passport could be the greatest phone that Blackberry ever makes, but if no one knows about it, it's never going to go anywhere. I have to wonder what the plan is to get non-enterprise business users (like Real Estate Agents, who were a HUGE market) back in the game.
    BlackBerry is starting from maybe even less than zero when it comes to the US market, and making a big push with the Passport entails a high degree of risk.

The markets where the Passport is launching are smaller and more receptive. If the phone does well in Canada, the UK, and the Emirates region, BlackBerry gets valuable information on how likely the phone is to be a success in the US.

If they try to enter the US market before having this kind of "live market test", they have to build hundreds of thousands of devices that may not sell.
    09-15-14 10:24 AM
    I don't come around here as often as I used to, but frankly, I'd never even heard of the Passport until literally just now. Yet I know all about the Android One, the Note 4, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, etc., etc.

I know it's sometimes hard to hear beyond the echo chamber -- and CB is notorious for being one of the most internally resonant echo chambers out there -- but the sad fact is that this device is completely off the mainstream tech radar here in the U.S.
    09-15-14 03:20 PM
    I couldn't have said it better myself and this exactly sums up what I've been thinking! I love that it's actually DIFFERENT than every single other phone released in the past 6 years!

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052
    09-15-14 05:31 PM
    When I get my passport, I will be more productive. Getting sick of these narrow screens. I have to put my reading glasses on just to look at emails. It'll be awesome to be able to make the font larger and reduce all the moving it about with my finger to read it. The same applies to pdf's. I feel that the UK is potentially a very lucrative market for BlackBerry, they just need to advertise and also rekindle carrier support which has been waning in recent months. Time to rebuild bridges Mr Chen.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    09-16-14 12:14 AM
34 12