Has anyone contemplated making this switch? The hub is IMO the most desirable transparent operating feature of the Passport. Solid build quality and battery life are other important aspects.

It is frustrating to be unable to pair my Passport SE with android devices, such as a Suunto Ambit3. I like wide but it has its drawbacks with video.

I don't want to abandon BlackBerry and have used their devices since the first smartphones. The better camera on the Priv is entriguing.

Is anyone else, Passport users, thinking of this?

Posted via CB10
    Machsta14 likes this.
    01-04-16 07:12 AM
    Yes!
    First week little disappointment
    Second week. Ok
    Third week. Good

Posted via Priv...
    01-04-16 07:35 AM
    I have both the Priv and passport SE, both have good points and some some not so good

Priv..better camera, love the curved edge, more apps

Worse, keyboard not as good, some of build seems flimsy compared to Passport.

If I had to only have one phone, 3 weeks ago I would have said the Priv
    Now I have Google Playstore, Google maps etc etc on Passport via Colbalt I would keep the Passport but it's very close

Which ever way you go, they both very good

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and kertong like this.
    01-04-16 08:07 AM
    I won't even hesitate to switch. The pros far outweigh the cons. This is a bb enthusiast site so most advice you get will tell you not to being that the Priv is android powered.

I had the z10 and the Passport and for me.. The Priv is the winner overall.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv�
    01-04-16 08:11 AM
    Has anyone contemplated making this switch?
    "Has _anyone?_" Surely, yes. Have _I_? Not even for a minute. It's a personal thing, but I've no desire to share my life with Google.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    acovey likes this.
    01-04-16 08:20 AM
    Prior to the Priv coming out, I had the Passport SE and decided to switch to the Note 5. Deciding factors to me in the switch were the far superior camera, better display, and much more advanced app integration. I used the cobalt method of running Google play on the SE, but it wasn't pretty and apps often were hampered even still.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with the switch. If I had the choice, I would definitely pick the Priv over the Passport. There's no guarantee that BB10 will be updated again, and at least you know that BlackBerry will support the Priv going forward on the software side.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    01-04-16 08:30 AM
    To me, it's mainly about the physical keyboard. If you need accurate email and text and depend on it as a professional, then you require a physical keyboard. There is no virtual keyboard that can deliver that, period.

Given the above, the Priv is a failure. It has a far inferior physical keyboard, so bad that it is inferior to its own virtual keyboard. Huge design flaw and a sort of embarrassing miscalculation given that the major design of the device is the slider physical keyboard...

Posted via CB10
    xueyaotianxia and Killjoyhere like this.
    01-04-16 09:25 AM
    I plan on making the switch from my SE to the Priv but I'll wait a couple of more months to see if the price drops. I really don't feel like I missing much with my SE so there isn't a rush to get the Priv. In addition to waiting for a price drop, I'm hoping the quality control issues get sorted out.
    01-04-16 11:08 AM
    Thanks for all the advice. I love the Passport SE keyboard. So I may hang in there with it for a a while longer and put up with my occasional frustrations. But connectivity is increasingly important so I think the eventual migration to blackberry android is unavoidable.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 08:39 PM
    To me, it's mainly about the physical keyboard. If you need accurate email and text and depend on it as a professional, then you require a physical keyboard. There is no virtual keyboard that can deliver that, period.

Given the above, the Priv is a failure. It has a far inferior physical keyboard, so bad that it is inferior to its own virtual keyboard. Huge design flaw and a sort of embarrassing miscalculation given that the major design of the device is the slider physical keyboard...

Posted via CB10
    I agree. I found the keyboard on the Priv to be subpar as compared to earlier BB devices.
    01-04-16 10:28 PM
    I am in the same boat OP. I will share my own logic and see if it helps.

The Passport is a great device. The amazing union of form and function makes for an awesome experience and it really feels like I am carrying around a mini-computer.

The Priv is something of my dream device. My all time favorite device was the old Torch (had a 9800 and 9810 but the 9800 was the one that got more use, simply because I had it much longer). The 'slider' design just makes sense to me. Whenever I am typing, I want that physical keyboard. But sometimes, I don't need to type in order to use my device. To check the weather, for instance, or make a phone call, or even to read an email message before replying. For these 'other' tasks, I love having my keyboard tucked away. For some people, they feel the Slider is a more fragile design, but I tend to disagree. A physical keyboard is actually many 'moving parts' that can wear with time as they collect dust and debris and/or moisture but the Slider design, actually protects the keyboard. This is a win in my books. And I never had a problem with the slide mechanism on my old Torch and I beat the heck out of it. (Never had a problem with the keyboard either - it was cramped but, as with anything you use regularly, you got used to it.)

The catch: The Priv runs software in its infancy stage with a few bugs to sort out yet and it's an expensive phone considering I paid a pretty penny for the Passport just over a year ago. However, the software is only going to get better and the price is only going to get cheaper. Meanwhile, the Passport is still a wonderful device. It might actually begin to degrade as some of the Android apps I use occasionally become updated beyond what the runtime on BB10 can handle (Spotify would be the biggest one and it currently runs perfectly). So, it makes sense to me to keep enjoying the Passport while it is still in its Prime and hold off on my impulse to buy the Priv. It's just going to get better and the price is going to come down. Meaning it will be a much better value in the future than it is now. And my Passport gets more love in the meantime.

Typed with love on my Passport.
    anon(9155131) and sesp9 like this.
    01-04-16 11:17 PM
    I have both the Priv and passport SE, both have good points and some some not so good

Priv..better camera, love the curved edge, more apps

Worse, keyboard not as good, some of build seems flimsy compared to Passport.

If I had to only have one phone, 3 weeks ago I would have said the Priv
    Now I have Google Playstore, Google maps etc etc on Passport via Colbalt I would keep the Passport but it's very close

Which ever way you go, they both very good

Posted via CB10
    I appreciate the available work arounds. However, as an ex-Passport user (now Priv), I eventually found the workarounds are simply that - workarounds. The Playstore (both Google and Cobalt) versions were crashing badly with every other Google app update. Also, the BB10 Android runtime (4.0) was not being updated. Gradually over the course of 1.5 years, my paid Google apps were being updated to Android 6.0+, and becoming increasingly unstable on the Android 4.0 runtime, and increasingly intolerable as a result (I came from Android when the Passport became available). My experience doesn't apply for those who aren't highly vested/dependent on Android apps.

The previous post (#11) makes a great point in that the Priv, while the software is in its infancy is getting better with each update. I'd agree, if you're not in a rush, enjoy your Passport for the next 6-12 months then move over to the Priv. If you go with the Priv now, there would be some growing pains for ex BB10 users.

As an ex Android user myself, the move back to Android (Priv) from the Passport was completely seemless to me.
    01-04-16 11:46 PM
    I've switch to priv and never looked back
    01-04-16 11:49 PM
    The Priv is great hardware BUT some ***** put Android in it, what's with that?
    01-04-16 11:50 PM
    Dear Friends! Last month I decided to buy BB Priv device (I want to replace my iPhone 6s Plus) for daily work and use at home, on the road and in office.
    For me the main things I need are convenience in typing (I use MS Office a lot, about 10 hours a day), Adobe Acrobat, etc., and also autonomy. I am working in the sphere of science, so I work with a lot of researches and databases. I need to read them, analyze, systematize. And I am also doing a lot of administrative work, that is why I always have hundreds emails every day and I should response on them very quickly, so I really work online. I also have a lot of calls and sms every day from my colleagues. I use Facebook and LinkedIn, Viber and Skype for work.
    Now I am using my BlackBerry Priv during 2,5 weeks and I am absolutely not satisfied with this device.
    1) It is much slower than my previous Galaxy Note 5 and Iphone 6s Plus!
    2) BlackBerry Hub is not the same as in BB10 (much slower and less productive, after 5 days I have deleted it);
    3) Less screen space than on Note 5 or 6s plus;
    4) Physical keyboard for me is not so comfortable as on my previous Passport Black.
    5) Three annoying things:
    - slider mechanism is awful (I mean the top panel shakes about the lower)
    - in 20 minutes of use Priv becomes very hot!
    - battery life (sometimes it is 7 hours and sometimes it is 2,5 hours).
    That is why I will try to sell Priv and I do not really know what to buy. I have three varients:
    1) To buy tool phone (I mean for calls, sms, mms, bbm, viber, whatsup, skype, mail) - BlackBerry P9983 or BlackBerry Classic and the second device for all the other work (I mean MS Office, videos, web), for example, Ipad Pro or Surface 3 or Vaio S11 2016 model (something not very heavy and with integrated LTE).
    2) To buy fast Android device with bigger screen to make all the work on it (Note 5, Huawei Mate 8, Sony Z6 Ultra (maybe Sony will show it on the 5th of January)).
    3) To buy BlackBerry PP SE
    Thank You!
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    01-05-16 01:02 AM
    Dear Friends! Last month I decided to buy BB Priv device (I want to replace my iPhone 6s Plus) for daily work and use at home, on the road and in office.
    For me the main things I need are convenience in typing (I use MS Office a lot, about 10 hours a day), Adobe Acrobat, etc., and also autonomy. I am working in the sphere of science, so I work with a lot of researches and databases. I need to read them, analyze, systematize. And I am also doing a lot of administrative work, that is why I always have hundreds emails every day and I should response on them very quickly, so I really work online. I also have a lot of calls and sms every day from my colleagues. I use Facebook and LinkedIn, Viber and Skype for work.
    Now I am using my BlackBerry Priv during 2,5 weeks and I am absolutely not satisfied with this device.
    2) BlackBerry Hub is not the same as in BB10 (much slower and less productive, after 5 days I have deleted it);
    4) Physical keyboard for me is not so comfortable as on my previous Passport Black.
    That is why I will try to sell Priv and I do not really know what to buy. I have three varients:
    1) To buy tool phone (I mean for calls, sms, mms, bbm, viber, whatsup, skype, mail) - BlackBerry P9983 or BlackBerry Classic and the second device for all the other work (I mean MS Office, videos, web), for example, Ipad Pro or Surface 3 or Vaio S11 2016 model (something not very heavy and with integrated LTE).
    2) To buy fast Android device with bigger screen to make all the work on it (Note 5, Huawei Mate 8, Sony Z6 Ultra (maybe Sony will show it on the 5th of January)).
    Thank You!
    BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition is definitely a better choice.

Posted via CB10 from Passport SQW100-4/10.3.2.2876
    01-05-16 02:29 AM
    Thank You!
    Your best bet from what you typed would probably be choice 2, Classic or P'9983 along with IPad or Surface. Blend will make it all come together.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 03:57 AM
    Dear bigjman, what do You think, which one is better: p9983 or classic?
    01-05-16 06:33 AM
    If you like a physical keyboard then skip the Priv. The keyboard sucks.

If you can get by without the physical keyboard there are better Android options (better quality for same or much lower price) available.

Either way I can't see Priv being a good option unless you by into the security thing and have confidence that BlackBerry will be around to update the security patches for a couple years.

If the Priv had a keyboard that was big enough to type on (without relying on the auto correct stuff that turn the kb into another virtual keyboard) I'd have overlooked the other shortcomings and gotten it because I've wanted a slider since the 9810. Don't know what BlackBerry was thinking with that keyboard.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2876 / T-Mobile USA
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    01-05-16 07:12 AM
    If you like a physical keyboard then skip the Priv. The keyboard sucks.

If you can get by without the physical keyboard there are better Android options (better quality for same or much lower price) available.

Either way I can't see Priv being a good option unless you by into the security thing and have confidence that BlackBerry will be around to update the security patches for a couple years.

If the Priv had a keyboard that was big enough to type on (without relying on the auto correct stuff that turn the kb into another virtual keyboard) I'd have overlooked the other shortcomings and gotten it because I've wanted a slider since the 9810. Don't know what BlackBerry was thinking with that keyboard.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2876 / T-Mobile USA
    I was disappointed by the keyboard, it's not up to BlackBerry standards from even the Classic or Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    01-05-16 07:53 AM
    Where the keyboard better?: p9983 or classic.
    01-05-16 09:01 AM
    Where the keyboard better?: p9983 or classic.
    The Passport SE has the best keyboard by FAR. If the keyboard and accurate professional-looking typing are important, then there is no question about which device is best.

Posted via CB10
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    01-05-16 09:43 AM
    Luckily there's not a single app that I need that won't work on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    tfitzpat03 likes this.
    01-05-16 09:57 AM
    Luckily there's not a single app that I need that won't work on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Same with me--for now, anyway!
    01-05-16 10:03 AM
    I don't recommend it, personally I prefer bb10 and the priv keyboard feels cheap compared to other BlackBerry devices

Pearl-Curve-Q10-Soon will be a Passport
    01-05-16 10:15 AM
97 123 ...