I keep seeing this comment about the PP being a 'niche' device, for 'professionals', managers, IT-admins and CEO's. For reading 'spreadsheets' and looking at PDF's.
    I am sure it is a perfect device for work professionals, but reading twitter and personal reviews and seeing reactions to the PP around the web, I am quite sure that to many, many 'non-professionals' and 'ordinary' mobile user out there, this a long sought after 'perfect' device.
    Most people use their phone for communication, be it Facebook, twitter and messaging and regular phone calls and obviously watching images, web content and videos. And as we all know, the PP handles these tasks perfectly, BUT because of the screen with a much more satisfying experience!
    Even regarding the 'old school' keyboard I am quite sure a lot of users out there really miss the ability to type on a physical keyboard as opposed to 'dead' glass. But they wouldn't admit to that even on their death bed! Who wants to be 'old', right?
    I am even leaving battery life and build quality out of this post...

I really think Blackberry has a definite all-appeal device here with the big square screen and the touch sensitive keyboard, not just a 'niche' product. I'm just saying....
    10-21-14 09:07 AM
    I completely agree. Passport has a lot of appeal.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 09:15 AM
    I am not a professional user, just a newly graduate (from u waterloo!) who loves BlackBerry. Love the screen size and certainly battery life. I don't do spreadsheets or a crazy amount of emails, but love to browse and the general feel of the phone. Though I think build quality can certainly be improved, such as that weird spot on the back cover of the phone, and problems with dead pixels and/or dust under the glass.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    10-21-14 09:16 AM
    I agree. It's certainly a very professional device, but not limited to professional use. Who doesn't like solid hardware that gets the job done for whatever purpose?
    10-21-14 09:21 AM
    But unfortunately it doesn't matter how great a device BlackBerry makes, most android/iphone use will never consider it even though they find the device pretty good as well, because they think BlackBerry is a dying company and a thing of the past.

I had co workers laugh at me when I told them I was getting a new BlackBerry, one even told me to just flush my money down the toilet rather than getting a new BlackBerry. They all thought it was a nice device after checking it out, but obviously none of them will consider it

10-21-14 09:34 AM
    I think the "for professionals" designation is mostly used to explain (or excuse) limited marketing to consumers and limited availability of apps.
    10-21-14 09:36 AM
    The only problem with BlackBerry is the marketing. The advertising is no where near where it should be. Car phone warehouse. In UK who sells it hasnt even got a poster on their window. How on the earth people will know about this product

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 09:41 AM
    BB need to drop all those derogatory terms. Its keeping people away because they think BlackBerry is just for businessmen. Rather go with, "mobile professional"(pimped from Mashable). That term encompasses consumers, pro-sumers, businessmen, housewives, etc.

BlackBerry for mobile professionals.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    10-21-14 09:42 AM
    I totally agree. I think the screen ratio/shape also makes people think that the device is geared toward communication vs media consumption. IMO, it is a good mix of the two. Even if you watch videos with the letterbox effect instead of zooming in, it is still an enjoyable viewing experience.

Posted via BBCB10PP
    10-21-14 09:43 AM
    But unfortunately it doesn't matter how great a device BlackBerry makes, most android/iphone use will never consider it even though they find the device pretty good as well, because they think BlackBerry is a dying company and a thing of the past.

I had co workers laugh at me when I told them I was getting a new BlackBerry, one even told me to just flush my money down the toilet rather than getting a new BlackBerry. They all thought it was a nice device after checking it out, but obviously none of them will consider it

Not necessarily. I see this perception changing with a lot of people at the moment. Three people I know just bought a BlackBerry device and they were on different systems before. One is considering to buy a new BlackBerry and several others are pretty positive towards them and especially their new devices.
    10-21-14 09:53 AM
    I guess I would describe myself as straddling the line between a consumer user and a professional user. I use the Passport quite a bit for reading PDFS, searching for and journals, patents, etc. That are part of my daily work tasks. Also use it to keep tabs on my work calendar. Unfortunately my employer does not provide any type of mobile device support since almost all of our work is supposed to be desktop based. I can't even check work email without using an RSA token, that downloads a NAC application that makes sure the computer I'm using is an approved computer (which does not work on a mobile device). So basically I always need my work-issued laptop.

Of course I also use the device for "consumer" tasks such as BBM messaging, calling and video chatting with my wife and family, reading mind-numbing internet junk, checking up on the awesome lives of all my Facebook friends, taking slow-mo videos of my cats, Google searching how to fix a faulty (insert any part of a house), and wasting plenty of time on CrackBerry.

I imagine the above describes plenty of Passport users.

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-21-14 09:54 AM
    Sliverfern, I'm a android user myself but Passport really make me come back to BlackBerry. So much so that I check out the CEO John Chen and what BlackBerry have being doing this period of time.

Targeting pro for BlackBerry is a small step back to the smartphones maket as they have suffer badly last few years trying to compete with iPhone or android.

I feel BlackBerry have make a right decision and hope that they don't rush but make quality handset to make a come back.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 09:54 AM
    Or maybe is because those users, and also many BlackBerry users, don't like keyboards anymore! BTW, I am one of them. Most post say very positive things about Passport, so I'm sure is a great device...just not for me. I'm waiting patiently to upgrade my Z30, which is great with 10.3.1. You guys that like keyboard enjoy your Passport
    10-21-14 10:11 AM
    Passport is actually my first keyboard BlackBerry. I used storm 2 9860 and z10, I have to say I like both touch and keyboard equally. Good thing about the passport is that the keyboard doesn't take away from the screen

10-21-14 10:14 AM
    While I agree with your point, I think many commenters here have missed the point. The Passport was not intended to be a mass-market device. As Chen has repeatedly said, they're now targeting the enterprise market; it would mean instead of spending on advertising or store presence, they would rather pitch in to the corporates directly and aim for direct bulk orders.

BlackBerry is not going enterprise-exclusive or neglecting the consumer market, but they're not their primary target demographic for business.
    10-21-14 10:30 AM
    Might as well go a bit deeper into the consumer market with a bit of extra advertising now it's so popular anyways.

10-21-14 10:34 AM
    Well, if you call a person who wants a phone with a beautiful large screen, great battery life, and a great keyboard a "professional".....then, yea, it's really only for "professionals".
    AnimalPak200 and toc610 like this.
    10-21-14 11:10 AM
    Totally agree...I use my Passport for both personal and work. I use Blackberry Balance and have my separate work profile. I use it to reply to work emails, BBM, check my calendar for upcoming meetings etc... But I use it just as much for personal as well. Check FB, read news on Twitter, take pictures and videos of my son, post vacation videos I created using StoryMaker and post them on Youtube etc. I use Blackberry Blend all the time at work, but mainly so I can reply to my wife or parents using my laptop. BBM on a PC is awesome. Especially when I needed to send my dad a file just the other day...I just dragged it from my desktop into Blackberry Blend, then quickly BBM'd it to him. To me, the passport is a perfect device for all things! Not just work, not just play....it does everything I need every day, no matter where I am or what I'm doing...the office, home, vacation, or just around town.
    10-21-14 11:20 AM
    I do think the device is positioned more towards the professional by design, because while for some it may be perfectly fine for viewing YouTube videos, playing games, and posting to Facebook and Instagram, that's not where its biggest strengths lie; it is not meant (or marketed) to be a direct competitor to an iPhone or flagship Android device. It's marketed as the ultimate tool to enhance productivity, organization and efficiency in your professional life, and just happens to be quite adept at the fun stuff too, for those who will use it 24/7 instead of just 8-5. And I'm just fine with that, since it aligns perfectly with what BlackBerry's vision has always been, and why they dominated the space for so long.
    10-21-14 11:35 AM
    I just received the Passport I ordered Sept 30th from Amazon, it's a gift for my wife. As soon as I opened the box it was love at first sight!! This is one amazing phone, not just for professionals as my wife doesn't work, she's a stay at home wife. She wanted this beast so I got it for her. The reaction around the office is quite amazing. The younger people in their 20's think it's "cool" yes a Blackberry is "cool" once again to young people. The the older people here at work (me included) simply think it's amazing...and I've only played with it for a few hours...when I get home I have to give it to my wife. I still love my Z30, but the Passport is just so different and special , I want one too!!!
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-21-14 02:10 PM
    I just received the Passport I ordered Sept 30th from Amazon, it's a gift for my wife. As soon as I opened the box it was love at first sight!! This is one amazing phone, not just for professionals as my wife doesn't work, she's a stay at home wife. She wanted this beast so I got it for her. The reaction around the office is quite amazing. The younger people in their 20's think it's "cool" yes a Blackberry is "cool" once again to young people. The the older people here at work (me included) simply think it's amazing...and I've only played with it for a few hours...when I get home I have to give it to my wife. I still love my Z30, but the Passport is just so different and special , I want one too!!!
    I just today finally received my Passport, after my wife "stole" the first one I ordered on launch day. She's a Pharmacist in the emergency department of a hospital and used to search for and read drug info on her tiny Q10 (tried a Z10, but the virtual keyboard didn't work for the non-standard terms and drug names),.. she really doesn't love technology at all, but she uses and abuses it to do what she needs to do. The size was never a concern as she either carries a purse, or has her lab coat on. The Passport is possibly the perfect mobile device for her, much more so than for myself... when she was so interested in the first one I ordered (after she got passed the "you paid how much???" stage), I didn't even hesitate setting it up for her. Although, if I would have known it was going to take over three weeks to get another one for myself, I may not have been as nice about it... lol

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-21-14 05:23 PM
    Just got mine here in Hong Kong only three days after it was made available. Wasn't expecting it to be so easy. When I got home I told my wife I had something big to show her..my passport. She immediately said wow..I love that screen and keyboard. She's been using a NOKIA 920 (me also as spare phone) and has been away from the classic BlackBerry keyboard for a few years. The NOKIA is smooth and stable but not the BlackBerry experience, though much better than our brief experience with all the android hubbub.

Anyways..the wife loves it..but her closest chance to getting it might be my retiring z30 that served like a soldier for the past year plus. Z30 was great. BlackBerry Passport upped the bar for itself... for the rest of the DROID and Apple gangs.

For all the hype about it being for professionals...sure I work harder and better with my BlackBerry devices than I ever could on the other gaming platforms, but with the Android apps on the BB10 platform, I also have not missed one app I though I couldn't live without...as I open up candy crush!

Well done John Chen and team..and please look into the weak marketing of BlackBerry in Asia Pacific, there are billions of ears in here who would appreciate the quality and stability of the BlackBerry reinvented. They won't hear or experience that potential without a lot more effort across the region.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 06:19 PM
    I have a job at a corporately managed facility, but I'm definitely not some mobile professional.

I just like to text, email, browse the web and use Twitter... and the Passport is just the best for me for these things.
    10-21-14 06:37 PM
    Yes it's for the professionals...and everybody else who can afford it...

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 06:43 PM
    If you have the $$, you will appreciate the passportm professional or the Joe Blows. Ya the apps ( numbers and quality) are still in need of improvement and maybe thats why BB is targeting professionals first but I agree that marketing strategy was not that smart
    10-21-14 06:55 PM
35 12