Hello,

I am hoping that someone here might have some information that I'm having difficulty tracking down. Does anyone know which LTE bands the Passport will operate on? I'm looking for a phone with LTE bands 3 and 4 (1800 and 1700 MHz) and I'm really hoping that the Passport will be capable of this. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    08-15-14 12:48 PM
    One model of the Passport went through the FCC, and these are the frequencies they documented: LTE 700c/700b/800/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600

Band numbers are 13, 17, 20, 5, 8, 4, 3, 2, 1, 7
    Last edited by raino; 08-15-14 at 01:13 PM.
    Thrac Dark likes this.
    08-15-14 12:52 PM
    Hi Raino,

Thank you for the very speedy reply. That sounds as though it will cover the required bands. If I were to purchase the Passport directly from Blackberry here in Canada would that most likely be the model that includes both bands/all the ones you have listed? My apologies if this is a dumb question, I am new to smartphones. I know that different US carriers offer phones with different bands but I'm not familiar with how it works when purchased directly from Blackberry.
    Nick Spagnolo likes this.
    08-15-14 01:17 PM
    I didn't see a single dumb question. As a prospective buyer/someone who's interested, you have every right to know.

This model looks to be made for the Americas, but we don't definitively know yet as there's been no announcement. Heck, just going through the FCC doesn't even necessarily mean it's going to be released...

So if this model comes to be released and sold by BB, it would work on any LTE networks that use the bands listed above. And the phones sold by BlackBerry (via its ShopBlackBerry online storefront) are factory unlocked too, so you can put in any SIM and go on your way.
    93Aero likes this.
    08-15-14 01:29 PM
    It has been a very frustrating search. My strong preference is for a Blackberry, with an iPhone a distant second, simply because I will not get an Android. I had been looking at the Z30 but my understanding is that it operates on bands 4, 5, and 7. Many phones sold in North America do not appear to offer band 3/1800 MHz but I don't want to get a phone that won't work in the other country, which only operates on band 3.

I very much hope that it will be released...and soon! (Yes, me and hopefully at least ten million other people.) Am I correct in understanding that the current rumours have the Passport being released to market sometime around the middle to end of September? That is one of the primary reasons why I would like to buy directly from Blackberry, so that it will be unlocked and popping another SIM into it will be possible.

I'm going to really push my luck here and ask whether you, or anyone, would have an idea of what the Passport might sell for upon release, either based on rumours or educated guesses based on previous models?
    08-15-14 01:46 PM
    One model of the Passport went through the FCC, and these are the frequencies they documented: LTE 700c/700b/800/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600

Band numbers are 13, 17, 20, 5, 8, 4, 3, 2, 1, 7
    Do these frequencies include CDMA bands to work on Sprint's and Verizon's network?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 02:33 PM
    It has been a very frustrating search. My strong preference is for a Blackberry, with an iPhone a distant second, simply because I will not get an Android. I had been looking at the Z30 but my understanding is that it operates on bands 4, 5, and 7. Many phones sold in North America do not appear to offer band 3/1800 MHz but I don't want to get a phone that won't work in the other country, which only operates on band 3.
    Right. The STA100-5 Z30 is 4, 5, and 7. I think this is pretty standard for North American GSM phone models...except for the iPhone. They usually don't have rest of the world (ROW) LTE bands, unless there's an overlap (like band 7, which is one of the bands in "global" usage.)

I'm not sure when the Passport will be released, or what the price will be. I don't keep up with those rumors too much, but at least we know that one FCC cleared version of the Passport meets your needs, and that's a start.

Do these frequencies include CDMA bands to work on Sprint's and Verizon's network?
    LTE is independent of GSM and CDMA. And this model didn't have CDMA. However...it does have band 13, which compels Verizon to allow it on their band 13 LTE network. Other than that, not all that useful on Verizon. And no Sprint LTE bands are present either...not that it matters because Sprint has the say on which phones can be used on its networks; no band 13-like compulsion.
    08-15-14 04:16 PM
    So theoretically speaking, if Sprint released the Passport and some time down the line I decided to switch to AT&T or T-Mobile I could just pop in a sim card and switch it's frequency and it will work?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 07:11 PM
    So theoretically speaking, if Sprint released the Passport and some time down the line I decided to switch to AT&T or T-Mobile I could just pop in a sim card and switch it's frequency and it will work?
    If the Sprint Passport had AT&T and TMO's bands then you could switch to these two networks by popping in the respective SIM.

But, with Sprint there's another issue: phones that can't be unlocked, like their Q10, for example. Sprint has committed to carrying unlockable phones in 2015.
    08-15-14 07:44 PM
    If the Sprint Passport had AT&T and TMO's bands then you could switch to these two networks by popping in the respective SIM.

But, with Sprint there's another issue: phones that can't be unlocked, like their Q10, for example. Sprint has committed to carrying unlockable phones in 2015.
    I asked this because I thought only one Passport model went through the FCC with all the supported frequencies you listed. So that would mean it's one device for every carrier, meaning we have the flexibility to use it with anyone, right?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 08:07 PM
    I asked this because I thought only one Passport model went through the FCC with all the supported frequencies you listed. So that would mean it's one device for every carrier, meaning we have the flexibility to use it with anyone, right?
    Verizon won't carry this model that went through the FCC. Not without CDMA bands they won't (until 2016.) And it won't work on Sprint either because there are no Sprint bands in this phone--CDMA or LTE. Your only hope of using this on a non-GSM carrier is on Verizon because of the presence of band 13. If Sprint and Verizon carry the Passport, they will get dedicated variants.

GSM networks though--this model should be useable on the major GSM/HSPA+/LTE North American networks. And a lot of other countries' networks as well.
    08-15-14 08:30 PM
    It's no surprise Sprint won't carry it. I am beginning to doubt any US carriers will offer it. Maybe it's time to emigrate.
    08-16-14 10:11 PM
    Even if this Passport model includes Verizon's LTE band, Verizon won't activate it on their network. They only allow devices they sold themselves (models with Verizon branding, generally) on their network. Apple doesn't allow Verizon to put their name/logo on iPhones, but the fact remains that if Verizon didn't oepriginally sell that particular unit you won't be able to use it on Verizon - compatible technology or not.
    08-16-14 10:22 PM
    Even if this Passport model includes Verizon's LTE band, Verizon won't activate it on their network. They only allow devices they sold themselves (models with Verizon branding, generally) on their network. Apple doesn't allow Verizon to put their name/logo on iPhones, but the fact remains that if Verizon didn't oepriginally sell that particular unit you won't be able to use it on Verizon - compatible technology or not.
    This is not completely true. They're required to activate any LTE band 13 devices. Now this doesn't mean the in-store reps know about this requirement, and maybe tell you to go take a hike, but it wouldn't be the first time a wireless company store has clueless employees.
    08-16-14 10:39 PM
    Will it support TD-LTE??

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 12:02 AM
    Will it support TD-LTE??
    This specific model--no. But there may be others that do.
    08-18-14 07:56 AM
    Sprints model will have 3 LTE bands in it. Band 25, Band 26, and Band 41. 1900, 800 and 2600. In which for Sprint band 41 covers from 2500-2600 mhz. Plus yes the usual 3G cdma frequencies and the usual world bands in the phone.
    08-18-14 09:35 AM
    Sprints model will have 3 LTE bands in it. Band 25, Band 26, and Band 41. 1900, 800 and 2600. In which for Sprint band 41 covers from 2500-2600 mhz. Plus yes the usual 3G cdma frequencies and the usual world bands in the phone.
    And if this phone can be unlocked (unlike previous Sprint phones,) it can be used on Chinese LTE networks. They use TD band 41 too.
    08-18-14 09:47 AM
    Sprint already has agreements in the Asia/Pac and South America for TDD-LTE Roaming, bilateral at that and don't forget who Sprint's parent company is, Softbank.
    08-18-14 09:54 AM
    Just for clarity:

China LTE != Japan LTE.

Softbank = Japanese.
    08-18-14 01:31 PM
    I am still hopeful that sprint will carry either the passport or the classic. But it is pretty sad when consumers have to take wild guess's at whether or not a phone will be available from a certain carrier(US).

You would think that having customers jumping ship due to the non availability of a phone would give carriers some pause for thought.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 06:59 PM