I operate a one-man photo biz, and a main part of my service is providing instant onsite prints at events. The strength of my business is technology,...and fast tech at that. I recently learned a few months back of a technology called,...WiFi As WAN (WWAN),...I'm sure it has been around a few years. This is basically where one uses a WiFi internet source to be emulated as a WAN connection on your network,...thus enabling all PC's to connected to your router to gain internet access,..via the router,...via the internet WiFi source. Which in my case is my awesome BB Passport (AT&T). I couple this with a recently purchase Cradlepoint AER 1600 router (without the Wireless Modem),...as I wanted to test the viability of using "WWAN" as the modem,...via my BB Passport. The only drawback is the cost of the router,...it's expensive to say the least. But now that I have it online,...I would have paid twice for it. Note,...this isn't a pitch for Cradlepoint,...but more as another, "Hey! Look what I can do with my Blackberry Passport device"! Oh! And get this,...when I activate "hotspot" on my Passport,....I get to select 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz! Guess which one I'm using! What an awesomely engineered device!

So, what's the reason for this post? Well, as we become more and more focused on "Social Media",....having a viable internet source connection is paramount,...even for when providing services onsite. I no longer have a need for another "Hotspot" device,...or even onsite internet connection. As long as I have cellular connectivity,...the internet will be wherever I am with my Blackberry Passport at my side.

How's the connection throughput! Lets just say that webpages loads just as instant on my PP as they do at home! I am not disappointed at all.

That said,...and seeing no upgrade path from my Passport,...I may just have to buy another one to replace my current Passport in the event it fails.
    Last edited by JMDBERRY; 03-30-16 at 02:47 AM.
    03-30-16 02:33 AM
    Nice. I didn't know about this WWAN thing. Good to know.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 02:37 AM
    I operate a one-man photo biz, and a main part of my service is providing instant onsite prints at events. The strength of my business is technology,...and fast tech at that. I recently learned a few months back of a technology called,...WiFi As WAN (WWAN),...I'm sure it has been around a few years. This is basically where one uses a WiFi internet source to be emulated as a WAN connection on your network,...thus enabling all PC's to connected to your router to gain internet access,..via the router,...via the internet WiFi source. Which in my case is my awesome BB Passport (AT&T). I couple this with a recently purchase Cradlepoint AER 1600 router (without the Wireless Modem),...as I wanted to test the viability of using "WWAN" as the modem,...via my BB Passport. The only drawback is the cost of the router,...it's expensive to say the least. But now that I have it online,...I would have paid twice for it. Note,...this isn't a pitch for Cradlepoint,...but more as another, "Hey! Look what I can do with my Blackberry Passport device"! Oh! And get this,...when I activate "hotspot" on my Passport,....I get to select 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz! Guess which one I'm using! What an awesomely engineered device!

So, what's the reason for this post? Well, as we become more and more focused on "Social Media",....having a viable internet source connection is paramount,...even for when providing services onsite. I no longer have a need for another "Hotspot" device,...or even onsite internet connection. As long as I have cellular connectivity,...the internet will be wherever I am with my Blackberry Passport at my side.

How's the connection throughput! Lets just say that webpages loads just as instant on my PP as they do at home! I am not disappointed at all.

That said,...and seeing no upgrade path from my Passport,...I may just have to buy another one to replace my current Passport in the event it fails.
    So your router connects to your Hotspot and then it shares your hotspot with other devices... I assume these other devices are hardwired and don't have a way to connect to your Passport directly.

I might look into trying it out with our Cradlepoint.... as an alternate to if the cable modem and cellular modems all both lose connections.
    04-18-16 08:54 AM
    Yes, my router connects to my Hotspot,....via the WiFi As WAN connection. The router broadcasts a separate SSID one for 2.4Ghz and one for 5Ghz,...essentially the same SSID name assigned,...but identified by WhateverTheName.2G,....and "WhateverTheName.5G. The SSID of my Passport is still being broadcast,..."Blackberry"! However, my client PCs are hardwire by Ethernet to the Cradlepoint as well as wirelessly connected to the Cradlepoint via WiFi.

Note, the reason for this is so that Windows sees all devices on the same network in both a Public and Home connection. Windows needs a Home connection to share Folders and Files and my other software needs a public connection to allow my client PCs to access my server. All the same, all devices (PCs) are on the same network.

Note, you do not want to configure the Cradlepoint router and still connect to your phone's Hotspot! If you do,...and you have a wired Ethernet connection going and wireless connection as well,...most likely, you will have connections on two different networks! Plus, this would defeat the purpose of the Cradlepoint router,....which is quiet expensive! (...nearly $500).

I've also configured my camera's wireless transmitter to connect to the Cradlepoint router's SSID.

Hth
    JMD

Posted via CB10
    anon(8050899) likes this.
    04-18-16 02:29 PM
    So your router connects to your Hotspot and then it shares your hotspot with other devices... I assume these other devices are hardwired and don't have a way to connect to your Passport directly.

I might look into trying it out with our Cradlepoint.... as an alternate to if the cable modem and cellular modems all both lose connections.
    To be honest, that is the main purpose of Cradlepoint routers. They offer a Cellular modem that has a carrier specific SIM card. This modem connects to the Cradlepoint via an internal USB port. The unit appears as one unit. In the event cable internet goes out,...the Failsafe modes switches to the Cellular modem. Your cable modem,...which is connected to your router as normal (via Ethernet) won't have service,...but your cellular modem will,...so will your cellphone. The good part is that,...it's easy to configure!

As previously stated,...I didn't get the cellular modem!,...the WiFi as WAN (WWAN) has stupid fast download/upload via the Passport's 5Ghz radio! Heck,...even the 2.4Ghz is fast.

Again,...Hth

JMD

Posted via CB10
    anon(8050899) likes this.
    04-18-16 02:39 PM
    I didn't understand everything, but it sounds pretty cool. Someone tries a thing out with the Passport and hits unexpected success. Fine!

Posted via CB10
    04-18-16 03:48 PM
    I didn't understand everything, but it sounds pretty cool. Someone tries a thing out with the Passport and hits unexpected success. Fine!

Posted via CB10
    Basically, the Cradlepoint router has the ability to use a WiFi source as a modem,...in this case,...my Passport is the WiFi source!

Posted via CB10
    04-18-16 04:41 PM