The BlackBerry Passport Bailed out this Tech Journalist when his iPhone 6 Failed Him

The BlackBerry Passport has been proving itself to be beyond reliable, as users the world over have been discovering – from the regional IT manager who needed to conduct critical business on a business trip to the travelling exec of manufacturing company who now leaves his laptop at home.

Whether it’s on business trips or at huge trade shows, the BlackBerry Passport is the tool you want with you wherever you go. That’s what this well-known tech journalist discovered.

(Check out those customer testimonials, then read about the University Professor, Consulting Group President, Tech Journalist, Software Manager, Chief Medical Information Officer, Product Engineer, Clinical Research Organization President, Insurance Salesperson, Program Coordinator/ Screenwriter and Nonprofit Founder – all satisfied owners of the BlackBerry Passport. Then vote for who you think had the quote that best reflects what you love about the BlackBerry Passport!)

BlackBerry Passport to the Rescue

Anyone following our review roundups on INSIDE BlackBerry (read them all HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE) should be familiar with PhoneDog’s Cam Bunton, who has gone above and beyond in his coverage of the BlackBerry Passport –check out his 13 video playlist HERE, which includes his 30-day BlackBerry Passport ‘challenge’.

With all of that quality time with the BlackBerry Passport under his belt, it should come as no surprise that Bunton took it with him to Mobile World Congress earlier this month, detailed in a blog post and video (check the end for the video).

He writes, “With every trip abroad for PhoneDog comes the battle to decide what I’m going to take with me . . . I have to admit, I went out with the aim of just using two of my phones on a daily basis. But that didn’t happen.”

I spoke with Bunton over the phone, and he told me what happened: the network coverage was ironically not so great for him at MWC, and it rendered his iPhone 6 useless on the show floor.

The iPhone 6 “didn’t want to play nice with the networks in Barcelona for some reason, so I switched my main SIM into the BlackBerry Passport.”

How did the BlackBerry Passport fare?

“It was awesome,” he writes. Besides the strong wireless reception, Bunton praised the Passport’s other robust productivity features. “For replying to emails and setting up meetings on the move, I loved having the keyboard and the insane battery life.” (There’s also the landline-like call clarity, too.)

Meanwhile, Bunton had actually brought two cases for his iPhone 6 sporting extra battery power – “I couldn’t risk my device dying halfway through a day” – that he ended up not needing (see the chart at the bottom of this blog to compare smartphone runtimes).

Bunton’s problems connecting over Wi-Fi with his iPhone is common enough (with iOS 8) that it’s gotten a nickname, “WiFried.” The issue still hasn’t been fixed as of iOS 8.2, apparently, either, as these Google search results readily show:

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 09:47 PM
    Good write up, I think it would happen more if people just gave it a chance.
    moody, maddie1128 and Blacklatino like this.
    03-31-15 09:48 PM
    The BlackBerry Passport Bailed out this Tech Journalist when his iPhone 6 Failed Him

You're fairly new here I see. Please read the forum rules on posting.

http://forums.mobilenations.com/rule...uidelines.html

While we are rather lenient on this one...

Link to Mobile Nations Stories Only - Please link all related stories to the appropriate Mobile Nations blog. For example, if you are talking about a new Android device that just came out... Link to the story on the Android Central blog, instead of some other site. Chances are we wrote it first, better, and deserve a little love. In addition, do not copy and paste stories in their entirety. Writers (from all sites) work hard, and deserve proper credit. We reserve the right to remove links to posts or close threads linking to articles similar to those published.

You should AT THE VERY LEAST be adding your own thoughts and comments on what you're posting and adding a link to the source. Copying and pasting and adding nothing to convo, not even a source link is not being very nice. In this case, Inside BlackBerry.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/03/...-6-failed-him/
    03-31-15 09:50 PM
    You're fairly new here I see. Please read the forum rules on posting.
    Can I be as bold to ask why,
    03-31-15 09:52 PM
    Can I be as bold to ask why,
    Well, his join date states that he signed up in late February of this year, and thus far he only has 7 posts. So... I think Bla1ze is safe to say he's new here.

On topic, good to read legitimate use cases in the wild, but I wonder how likely the average smartphone user would be in the same situation (my "primary" phone doesn't work so let me switch to my "second," equally expensive smartphone to get better reception). The same thing is all of us here on CrackBerry know the value of BlackBerry hardware, but unfortunately the masses just don't care anymore.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 10:02 PM
    I am new to the forums, Sorry for not posting a comment or being in tune with the forum rules and regulations.. I was very excited when I saw the article I wanted to share a positive article about the Passport. You are right it's a great device and deserves to have more people realizing it's place in the Smartphone arena..

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 10:02 PM
    I am new to the forums, Sorry for not posting a comment or being in tune with the forum rules and regulations.. I was very excited when I saw the article I wanted to share a positive article about the Passport. You are right it's a great device and deserves to have more people realizing it's place in the Smartphone arena..

Posted via CB10
    Understood and no worries.
    03-31-15 10:06 PM
    What happened to the iPhone 6? Sorry but I think I missed something. :/

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 01:05 AM
    What happened to the iPhone 6? Sorry but I think I missed something. :/

Posted via CB10
    He went back and started using his iPhone 6 and lived happy ever after.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-01-15 07:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    To be fair you did add "Posted via CB10" in the OP

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-01-15 07:47 AM
    Love to read stories like this.
    04-01-15 02:29 PM
    Nice and i used the iPhone 6 but be honest BlackBerry OS is more uniform and better to use. I also bought last month an Android tablet and bring it back and was thinking to buy a iPad but I hate iTunes. Still ios in my eyes is number 2 os behind BlackBerry 10 but I know from friends there are some bugs in ios 8.2
    04-01-15 03:26 PM
    It is a feel good story, but ultimately means nothing. So BlackBerry Passport is only good for bailing out other device momentarily, in other words, a backup phone? That is not much to cheer about.
    04-02-15 12:49 PM
    Yes the Tech Journalist may have gone back to his iPhone but the fact of the matter is people are starting to write about the Passport and Blackberry. Anyone that uses the passport as a daily driver knows it is so much more than a temporary fix.
    But to be mentioned as a replacement for the iPhone weather temp or permanent certainly says a lot not only for Blackberry but the Passport as well. Today I saw several more articles about not only the Passport but the Leap as well.. Hopefully all the buzz will keep going and the rest will realize what we Blackberry users already know.. Blackberry is still alive and a solid hardware build but also a more productive OS..

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 01:21 PM
    The article could of gone totally differently.

iPhone fails, Passport unable to fill in the shoes for a petty day or two whilst iPhone recharges and gains confidence.

Nice to see the Passport getting a nod from non Blackberry "fans"
    04-02-15 02:43 PM
    PhoneDog has been a friend to BlackBerry through the years. I've always liked reading/watching their reviews. I miss Aaron Baker, though. Cam has also done a nice job with TmoNews since Dave left.
    04-02-15 04:45 PM