Scorned by the media and popular masses, yet empowered by knowing the device and software is superior to the competition.

The Apple devotees were smug back in the day because they knew their product was very good. They had reason to be, because they were right.

Here we are today with the media bashing Blackberry at every possible opportunity, yet reviews from users and informed experts alike all give the Passport as good a rating based on any criteria, as can be earned.

Is the new Blackberry now the go-to for the more "highly informed" prosumer?

Discuss amongst yourselves.....

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 08:30 PM
    No.

Posted from an ME173X
    Blacklatino, Rello and kadthekid like this.
    11-22-14 08:34 PM
    Yeah... no.

Passport on Wind
    Blacklatino likes this.
    11-22-14 08:34 PM
    We wished.
    Evindzer likes this.
    11-22-14 08:40 PM
    Time will tell, with the right stewardship it could happen. Maybe when the big two come back? ;-)

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    11-22-14 08:44 PM
    Sure.
    11-22-14 08:45 PM
    The superior product came first, the public materialistic success followed.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 09:09 PM
    Palm had quite the loyal use base, also, and the reviews of the Palm Pre were even better - it won Best of CES 2009. Could be the new Apple or the new Palm.
    11-22-14 11:11 PM
    Somber mood in this thread.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 01:56 AM
    Yawn

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    Blacklatino likes this.
    11-23-14 02:03 AM
    Can't compare...
    "Apple" and oranges...

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-23-14 04:04 AM
    Yeah I'm going to discuss it with myself.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 04:24 AM
    Being from the USA where the brand is all but dead here, I really like having a BlackBerry passport here now. Every time I pull the device out or set it on the table when in a cafe or restaurant, I always get a comment like "what the hell is that".

It's very cool to have a unique niche device here now when all I see is boring iPhone and Galaxy devices everywhere I go. I have went through the iPhone and Android phase and I am glad I came back to BlackBerry.

I am allot more productive now when the primary use for my device is email, messaging and social media and I could never live without the Hub again.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    11-23-14 04:44 AM
    As much as I like my BlackBerry I don't think they will have that kind of "status" anytime soon. The biggest difference in my opinion is in the way Apple present their products. In all those years Apple made a lot of great devices, but they could push it one step beyond that and make those products look just awesome, so along the way, they got some very dedicated customers.

The thing is, it takes more than just a great product to have that kind of success, and there are not that many companies out there that can achieve it. Not that I don't wish that BlackBerry would do well, it's just harder to pull this kind of thing of when BlackBerry seems to be focusing on specific market.

To sum it up I will be very surprised if this will happen to BlackBerry since not many other could do that, but I still wish they would.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 04:55 AM
    Maybe you can compare the new BlackBerry to Apple when they were in their very early stage. They are a young, dynamic and innovative business trying to gain market share as a niche player.

Comparing BlackBerry to Apple as they are today would be insane though. About the only similarity is that they both make phones.
    11-23-14 05:08 AM
    I'd rather not BB become "huge and successful".

I've never been a "follow the crowd" type and like owning a unique and awesome device, that few people have. As long as BB keeps pumping out the tech and great devices, and sweating it out, and makes some money to keep afloat and investors happy, Im all good.

Besides, when a company gets too large... they lose their edge and focus. It happened to BB once, and IMHO its starting to happen with Apple, albeit at a much slower pace.
    11-23-14 05:53 AM
    When Apple began its rise, (late 90s), PCS were boring beige boxes that all looked the same. Apple came out with the colorful iMac in a rainbow of colors and everyone it seems, wanted one and was willing to pay a few hundred more than for the beige box. And they followed with the iPod, iPhone and ipad. All of these products were re-imagined and beautifully designed, but none were new inventions.

For BlackBerry, I do not believe a comeback on that kind of scale is possible. Ideally, if BlackBerry was able to get to 10% market share and that market comprised mostly of financial, medical, government and military personnel who would need enhanced security, there would be a chance for BlackBerry to be coveted again.

Master Chen is pointing in the right direction. By saying that BlackBerry is not for everyone, he is saying, most people do not need the security or efficiency of a BlackBerry because the information they exchange is trivial and inconsequential and they have too much time on their hands to value efficiency . By implying that the NEED for a BlackBerry is above the pay grade or security clearance of most consumers, perhaps they can position it as a brand that SOME will aspire to.

Instead of being the device for the cool kids, it would be the device preferred by important, serious people. And since hipsters will always outnumber important people, an Apple-esque comeback for BlackBerry is highly unlikely.

Unless the kids start carrying them to be ironic.

Posted via CB10
    devin266, andy957, iamagod and 1 others like this.
    11-23-14 06:58 AM
    No.

Blackberry had its time in the sun as number one.

Unless the masses suddenly wake to the poor security of Apple and Android, Blackberry will be a distant third.

Posted via CB from my Z10
    11-23-14 07:07 AM
    No.

Unless the masses suddenly wake to the poor security of Apple and Android, Blackberry will be a distant third.

I think in corporate America it may be more sooner then later. With all the latest press about the hidden bugs in the IOS and Android platforms that are gathering folks personal and confidential information, don't think for one minute that the corporate IT folks aren't looking at Blackberry security.

I have already seen it here with a few of my corporate clients telling me that 'we never had those issues" with our Blackberries!!!!
    11-23-14 08:13 AM
    Difference is BlackBerry didn't need a bail out from a direct competitor to stay afloat for fear of antitrust issues. believe me microsoft would've loved to see them sink.
    BlackBerry on the other hand got money from investors who saw value in the company.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 08:16 AM
    No.

Ok for the record BlackBerry has never been number one...that was nokia. They just became the popular phone at the time.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 08:18 AM
    BlackBerry now has a platform ( QNX / BB10 / BES12 ) that has great potential.

If they will succeed in creating a whole ecosystem around this platform (based on security and "Internet of things" capabilities) - they have a chance of becoming the new Apple.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    11-23-14 08:32 AM
    No way can BlackBerry become like Apple. They only have one product, a phone. Today, you need breadth and depth to compete on a large scale. Even Microsoft is having trouble breaking through and they have a long track record and a nice phone (which I also use).

I like BlackBerry but if their phones ever gained any traction in the marketplace, all a rival would have to do is launch a keyboard-based device and then one of BlackBerry's strongest selling points goes away.

It is nice to have a unique and niche device except that developers will not create apps for niche users. Hopefully, someone (BlackBerry or third party) can develop a workaround to increase Google app compatibility. Many apps that require Google Play services will not run properly (if at all).

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 08:52 AM
    People have to realize that Apple had dismissed the guy who made the company successful to begin with. Their fall ended when he made his come back, as he was still really in tune with what consumers wanted. We can't say the same fir BlackBerry. Imagine bringing back Basilie and Lazaridis, they couldn't see past the keyboard and when the iPhone came out, they were too late with a response. Now they old news. Chen has revitalized the company but time will tell.

Posted via CB Z30
    devin266, MikeX74 and PonyCrazyKid like this.
    11-23-14 08:57 AM
    Nah.

Blackberry Passport SQW 100-1, 10.3.0.908
    11-23-14 08:59 AM
87 123 ...