Hey guys,

Just got my Passport with a nice Stilgut flip case, love it so far. Still a huge learning curve for the keyboard as I came from a Z30 which I broke in a fit of rage....

Anyways. I signed up for Rogers device protection for 10.99 monthly. The cost to replace is 200.

BlackBerry is charging 5.25 monthly for 129 deductible.

They both claim to cover accidents as well.

Seems like I should cancel the Rogers plan and switch to BlackBerry while I have time as I would love to support BlackBerry vs the carrier.

I just extended my phone contract for 2 years so I definitely want protection until I can upgrades.

Any input? Is there something I'm missing on it that would put more value in the Rogers being more expensive?

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 02:29 PM
    They both cover accidents but there is a deductible on each, right? I wouldn't carry both insurances
    05-24-15 06:43 PM
    That's right.

What I found so far, is that Blackberry Care will not cover a lost or stolen device...

So the rogers plan essentially gives me the option to replace my device if I "lose" it.... but BB Care only covers damages/malfunctions etc.

I am thinking I will switch to Blackberry Care. Because even though they don't cover the lost/stolen phone... the deductible is 70 dollars cheaper.

And on top of that, even if you are only making a damage claim and have to return the device, the deductible for Rogers does not change.

I think I figured this out, but if anyone has any comments about their experience with either it would be helpful for me and others.
    05-24-15 06:52 PM
    The Rogers device plan is such a rip-off at almost $11 per month! Wow! And a $200 deductible?

So in a year if you break your phone you'll have paid upwards $320 to replace it... but if you took BlackBerry care at $6 and $120 you'll pay less than $200 to replace it.

Why is this even a question? I guess the real difference will be how quickly you will be able to get a replacement device. But BlackBerry is usually quick with their turnaround when you go through them direct but I'm not sure who handles this extended warranty thing
    05-24-15 08:10 PM
    You have to think Rogers device protection will offer you a replacement phone, but under the 1st year it goes to blackberry for repair not to the Rogers insurance plan repair center, if you have a claim they will tell you to send it to BlackBerry so your paying $11/month for the 1st year for the warranty that comes standard with any device but if you don't get the insurance your on your own after the first year. So your basically paying $264 for an extended 1 year warranty, unless it's lost/stolen. BlackBerry device plan will be somewhat the same without a lost or stolen phone. It is a catch 22. Just went through it. Good luck hope this helps

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 09:01 PM
    I've had a Q10 replaced by Rogers insurance - Asurian. Excellent fast service and replaced with a new device. Within the first year Rogers will replace or fix depending on the issue. This is handled by Rogers and not BlackBerry and I've had excellent service over the years with this too. With all the issues with Digital Rivers sending out refurbs and providing crappy service I'm not sure I would trust BlackBerry. Maybe their carrier will handle it better than Digital River but only time will tell.
    05-24-15 09:22 PM