With the release of BlackBerry Blend, it seems geared towards the Passport currently.

I'm curious, with what BlackBerry Blend offers, would one use the BlackBerry LESS during the work day, i.e. if you're sitting at your computer?

I work in IT and I'd probably do more via BlackBerry Blend since I'm almost connected to my desktop for 11 hours a day. Hence the question...
    09-28-14 08:55 AM
    That's the impression I get from blend although I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Your phone could remain in your pocket or on the charger while you reply to sms, bbm, email all from your desktop. Calendar, contacts and storage on your phone are also available and manageable from blend. The desktop notifications in windows 8 look good too. only reason you'd pick up your phone is for a particular app or to make/answer a phone call.

Then when you finally leave your desk everything is secure on your phone, no trace on your desktop. If your desktop is on and on line though then configured folders are still accessible from your blackberry. (that feature was present before but still is)

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 09:04 AM
    ...anyone else?
    09-28-14 11:02 AM
    ...anyone else?
    I'm still waiting until Wednesday for mine but I know I'll rarely be pulling it out of my pocket when I'm at my desk or with my laptop, it's going to be awesome not having to drudge it out just to answer! Definitely going to kill office productivity for many! ;P

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052
    09-28-14 12:15 PM
    That's the impression I get from blend although I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Your phone could remain in your pocket or on the charger while you reply to sms, bbm, email all from your desktop. Calendar, contacts and storage on your phone are also available and manageable from blend. The desktop notifications in windows 8 look good too. only reason you'd pick up your phone is for a particular app or to make/answer a phone call.

Then when you finally leave your desk everything is secure on your phone, no trace on your desktop. If your desktop is on and on line though then configured folders are still accessible from your blackberry. (that feature was present before but still is)

Posted via CB10
    This is pretty much spot on. Blend is outstanding on my Surface Pro. Still working with it on my iPad. The iPad app doesn't seem to run in the background so you have to start the app if you want to check your messages on the phone. Would like to see it where it gives you a notification like facebook app does. Overall great system though.

Passport on AT&T
    09-28-14 12:21 PM
    Most of my day consist of being on the computer with that said I am constantly using blend because I do not have to go back and forth to look at my phone and monitor. This puts my productivity beyond what life was before the passport/blend. I love blend , I used to have a feature like this when the PlayBook was out but they patched it.
    thatplaybookguy likes this.
    09-28-14 12:23 PM
    Anyone think blend could ultimately do conditional call forwarding? It would be amazing if the device could forward cell calls to a specific desktop phone based upon a blend set-up/ connection and allow for extended unified messaging.

I seem to remember RIM having some voip tech besides BlackBerry specific calling. It would be cool if it would provide a soft phone where you could direct an incoming call to cell or desktop.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 12:53 PM
    I am loving Blend, and yes I use my BlackBerry far less at work now. I like the shift in thinking to "my BlackBerry has all my messaging and calendar needs in it and I can push that information to whatever screen I use."

I would like to see BBM video (voice too by extension) supported by blend for video chat at work, I don't really see the need to have calls go through blend as currently you can call forward to a different number if needed, but also if I did forward it to my pc I'd use my bluetooth headset to answer the call... which I can do from my blackberry in the first place so it seems redundant to me.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 03:04 PM
    It works very well for sms,bbm and file manager for me, email and calendar I don't have use for in blend as I use outlook with exchange 2013 on my work pc, as soon as they update it to enable call forwarding via the pc it will be rock solid,

I was impressed with how fast it is considering back in the blackberry bridge days it was painful, blend is super fast to navigate and access data.

Blackberry hit the nail on the head with this one, it's taking a long time but well worth it.

I have not tested it on android tab or ipad, I do have it installed on my dell venue 11 tablet and is very useful.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 03:15 PM
    Tested on my iPad Air and works fine. Only nuisance I found was when you switch app from blend to something else and switch back you need to reconnect. Having said that I can't see why anyone would bother with the iPad app when the passport is so awesome!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 04:16 PM
    It works very well for sms,bbm and file manager for me, email and calendar I don't have use for in blend as I use outlook with exchange 2013 on my work pc, as soon as they update it to enable call forwarding via the pc it will be rock solid,

I was impressed with how fast it is considering back in the blackberry bridge days it was painful, blend is super fast to navigate and access data.

Blackberry hit the nail on the head with this one, it's taking a long time but well worth it.

I have not tested it on android tab or ipad, I do have it installed on my dell venue 11 tablet and is very useful.

Posted via CB10
    Follow up question for you. You mentioned you don't use the email / calendar feature in blend because you use outlook 2013, is this purely because you like outlook or is there some important thing you can do in outlook that you cannot do on your BlackBerry thus cannot do through blend.

This is a legitimate question as I am trying using blend instead of outlook 2013 and am wondering if there is some functionality I am forgetting about that I am going to miss, I currently use my BlackBerry to handle all of my appointments (but they are on my exchange email so obviously sync to outlook)

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Northernlady01 likes this.
    09-28-14 04:20 PM
    Blend is actually amazing... it's what we've been waiting on for years. The fact I can BBM, send emails and texts from my tablet or pc is a huge USP for me!

The only thing that would make it better, is if it didn't need to be on the same wifi network, and would continue to work over the cloud. The reason I say this, is because many corporations don't allow the use of phones on their wifi system, even though they're connected through BES, thus making blend redundant for some corporate employees.

Posted via my Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1052
    09-28-14 04:44 PM
    Using blend with the passport on my iMac with Mavericks, the software and desktop interface works great. I was using BBM while working on a hot project this morning, worked like a charm. Blend, my passport and iMac are now a complete business workflow solution and I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my awesome passport on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    09-28-14 04:52 PM
    Yes have mine set up on my ipad and my pc both working fine.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    09-28-14 05:01 PM
    Follow up question for you. You mentioned you don't use the email / calendar feature in blend because you use outlook 2013, is this purely because you like outlook or is there some important thing you can do in outlook that you cannot do on your BlackBerry thus cannot do through blend.

This is a legitimate question as I am trying using blend instead of outlook 2013 and am wondering if there is some functionality I am forgetting about that I am going to miss, I currently use my BlackBerry to handle all of my appointments (but they are on my exchange email so obviously sync to outlook)

Mainly because I need to see other staff members calendars therefore using outlook is easier as staying in one app, however on my tablet I use it.

Ps you can still access blend over 4G I believe, I had my wifi turned off and the phone still connected, I'll double check that tho

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 06:11 PM
    Mainly because I need to see other staff members calendars therefore using outlook is easier as staying in one app, however on my tablet I use it.

Ps you can still access blend over 4G I believe, I had my wifi turned off and the phone still connected, I'll double check that tho

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, I hadn't considered shared calendars in outlook. Lucky I only have 3 direct reports who's calendars I need to view so I will still have to use outlook at sometime

09-28-14 06:51 PM
    I have installed BlackBerry Blend on my iPad. Installed no problem, I see my devices and the select my Z30. Won't connect at all.

This should be a straight forward process, but it just times out and no connection established.

Am I missing something here?

Cheers!

Posted via CB10 with Z30 BB 10.3.0
    09-28-14 07:17 PM
    I have installed BlackBerry Blend on my iPad. Installed no problem, I see my devices and the select my Z30. Won't connect at all.

This should be a straight forward process, but it just times out and no connection established.

Am I missing something here?

Cheers!

Posted via CB10 with Z30 BB 10.3.0
    Your just missing one thing....... A passport!
    Blend works only with the passport currently...
    09-28-14 07:37 PM
    Blend works with wifi, USB, or your cellular connection (it's a setting you have to enable) so even if you forgot your phone at home or in your car, as long as it's powered on with a connection you could access texts, BBM, and email.

Blend is great for us users but the real power is for Enterprise. This is a way for BlackBerry to capitalize on a secure way for home users to access their work email and documents without having to VPN and risk theft of information or security issues.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 07:49 PM
    OK thanks. I miss understood that if you had 10.3 installed, it would work already. Thanks again !!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 08:10 PM
    And the P'9983

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 09:02 PM
    And the P'9983

Posted via CB10
    And soon to be Classic
    We're also expecting to see it with all devices on 10.3.1 official, but we'll see how that one pans out

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052
    09-28-14 09:54 PM
    And the P'9983

Posted via CB10
    Oh yeah... Forgot about that one!
    09-28-14 09:55 PM
    Blend is actually amazing... it's what we've been waiting on for years. The fact I can BBM, send emails and texts from my tablet or pc is a huge USP for me!

The only thing that would make it better, is if it didn't need to be on the same wifi network, and would continue to work over the cloud. The reason I say this, is because many corporations don't allow the use of phones on their wifi system, even though they're connected through BES, thus making blend redundant for some corporate employees.

Posted via my Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1052
    It doesn't need to be on the same wifi network, if you enable access over cellular then it works great over the air.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 05:41 AM
    I've read all the posts in this thread but there is one thing I'm not clear on, if I connect my soon to be purchased Passport (once ATT starts selling it) to my work computer via USB will I be able to use Blend even though I don't get cell service in my office? I know work won't let me connect to the wifi (shhh..don't tell them I did get the password). Thanks.
    09-29-14 06:11 AM
35 12