Hi all,

Unfortunately Whatsapp here in Jamaica is the defacto IM option. I will occasionally use BBM with my wife who has a Q10 (when I remember) but am in several groups with my staff and friends and family from the UK & even Colombia who use whatsapp.

I love my BBPPSE and am seriously considering buying a cheap android phone JUST to have whatsapp? Traveling with 2 phones will be a B**ch and because it's tel # based, this will be a pain to do as well.

For those BlackBerry owners who absolutely have to use/have Whatsapp, how do you plan to deal with this problem come year end?

Regards David

Passport Silver Edition 10.3.2.2836
    07-01-16 07:12 AM
    Yeah I think so.. Have 2 phones isn't a bad idea actually, u can separate ur work life and personal life, thats what I do hehehe...
    If no whatsapp anymore I'll change phone to either iphone or another android and keep my passport SE as a backup phone...

Posted via CB10
    07-01-16 07:23 AM
    No I wont. There are alternatives to the app.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-16 07:26 AM
    No. I will not buy another phone just for Whatsapp, unless the phone is better than the Passport.

Just install Cobalt's Google Play Store ontobyour Passport, download the Android Whatsapp, and Bob's your uncle!

Problem solved!

Note:
    Using the Android Whatsapp version will allow you to (1) send and receive messages, (2) receive pictures and files, but (3) you cannot send pictures and files.

Still, so long as you're contactable via Whatsapp, that's the most important thing.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-01-16 07:34 AM
    I will be getting a second phone but not because of Whatsapp.

Am currently using my Lenovo tablet for apps, am desiring this access in a more portable format.

Still like my Passport for communicating though. PKB can't be beat. Call quality is outstanding.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-16 11:32 AM
    Yes I'll change phones, I can live without a good facebook app and a good gps but not a crippled WhatsApp, by that time the priv will be dirt cheap and the other BlackBerry offerings running Android should be out. I will miss the bb10 goodies.

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-01-16 11:49 AM
    No. Tried to switch and came straight back to buy another Passport. Don't use what's app and don't really have associates or friends that use it so not important for me. Of course this is my opinion, others may use the app.
    07-01-16 12:23 PM
    2017 - the age of the Priv

Posted via CB10
    07-01-16 01:00 PM
    I will get an ipod tuoch and hot it up to WiFi and hotspots...viola!!!! No need to carry two phones just because of whatspp

Posted via CB10
    07-01-16 01:33 PM
    Just got a great deal on EE uk sim only contract 20GB free calls and text for �19.99(previously got 6GB for �23.99), so I am going to use iPad whatsapp and hook it up to my Passport with tethering sorted, or just go back to using BBM and ask friends to download if they don't want then fine.

Posted via my magical Passport with BB10 none of Droid rubbish!
    07-01-16 02:10 PM
    In my case, I own both a Passport and a PRIV. I've switched a couple of times to the PRIV but have ended up returning to my Passport, as I prefer the more fluid UI and communications of BB10. However, BlackBerry's take on Android has been growing on me, so when the time comes, I don't need to invest on a new phone, just switch my SIM (I keep the PRIV up to date and with mirror data and apps as my Passport).

I haven't yet tried MM as my PRIV is an unlocked branded AT&T. I hope an autoloader is released for such devices soon enough, as that will most likely improve the Android experience. My Passport will then become a tablet-like device for viewing documents, answering emails, browsing and a bit of gaming. I have on it the hard shell with a stand, so for meetings it is more comfortable to use than my laptop.

My first thought was to dump WhatsApp altogether, unfortunately too many work and personal contacts use it, so I feel compelled to keep it.

Posted with my powerful and masterful  Passport!
    07-01-16 02:53 PM
    Just download the Android version, should work at minimum for all of 2017. On the Whatsapp page explaining this they said support for Android 2.3 and lower is dropping, so really should work for awhile with BB's runtime, at least for messages.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-16 03:00 PM
    Use the android version, otherwise pick up a cheap moto g...

Posted via CB10
    07-02-16 09:21 AM
    Just buy a Priv or any of the upcoming Android BlackBerries.. You should be able to use your whatsapp on BB10 until the hamburg comes out..

No need to buy another Phone just because of a messaging app, no matter how important it is.. You should make the switch to an android BlackBerry because you will see lots of important apps flying away from BB10.. Today its FB & Whatsapp, tomorrow its something else.. Although these two pretty much killed it for a lot of people
    07-02-16 08:20 PM
    As if facebook an what's crap are a driving factor in the mobile phone market. Sounds ridiculous to me.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-16 08:54 PM
    I love my BBPPSE and am seriously considering buying a cheap android phone JUST to have whatsapp? Traveling with 2 phones will be a B**ch and because it's tel # based, this will be a pain to do as well.
    Then a grab a high-end Android device, which will be much more functional than your Passport since it can have BBM and WhatsApp.
    07-03-16 12:10 AM
    As if facebook an what's crap are a driving factor in the mobile phone market. Sounds ridiculous to me.

Posted via CB10
    Well the point of mobile is communications. Facebook and Whatsapp are popular widespread communication platforms. Why would anyone want a device that could not encompass all of the forms of mobile communication available as per the user's daily needs? That's the controlling factor of phones today. You want the best communicator available.

Anyway a lot of people are kind of missing the thread's opening premise. This thread is for people who need Whatsapp and what they will do when support on our 'Berries end, not for people who say "I don't use Whatsapp and don't care for it".

For my input, I heavily depend on Whatsapp and I MUST be able to send pictures and files so the Android-version plan for 2017 wouldn't be able to fly with me. I am hanging on to my Q10 until the Rome comes out (hopefully) this year. If it really is slated for Feb 2017 release, after wiping my sweating forehead with my towel I might dive in for a Samsung or worst come to worst I will have to make do with the Android-version Whatsapp for the foreseeable future as not to buy a stop-over phone for just a couple of months till that February.
    What may become of my Q10, I may sell it (for peanuts most likely 'cause let's face it lol) or I may hang on to it as a reminder of the OS that time forgot (and to play with from time to time as to never forget your first kiss haha).
    07-03-16 12:59 AM
    No I wont. There are alternatives to the app.

Posted via CB10
    Only if you get ALL the other people who use it with you to switch. Good luck with that. Perhaps you can get a decent productivity device to help you out
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-03-16 02:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Narrow minds on a narrow wage
    07-03-16 02:31 AM
    Nope.
    I have just switched BACK to the Passport from the Priv and screw Whatsapp. If people want me, they can use BBM, Messenger or just text or email me.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-16 03:17 AM
    The importance given to Whatsapp as the primary means of communication in particular circles cannot be understated. Next year I'll be traveling in India for a while. Whatsapp is pretty much a way of life over there. Here in the SF Bay where I grew up, I don't see any of my friends or peers having used it or referenced it in the last few years while entire societies have come to rely on it elsewhere.

I joined the party late. Just retired my legendary Nokia N900 from daily use for the Passport SE, which is now one week old, and after adding the Cobalt mods it's an incredible platform. However, the map on Uber doesn't show up, the game emulators won't map physical keys, etc. There will always be problems trying to run Android things on BB10, and the support for runtime 4.3 will end one day soon. In that essence I am inclined to agree with the BB10 purists.

All of you who don't like Android, you can run but you can't hide. If you want to use the services of the modern era, you need to get one of the damn things and sell your soul to the devil. I've come to terms with my servitude to Skynet.

I will be purchasing the OnePlus 3 pretty soon. Gonna need that Uber and Whatsapp... Looks to be the best Android deal in years - 6 gigs of RAM, and it's got true USB-C charging. Also, foldable OLEDs are going to be released for production and the public in the next two years. We can expect to see "foldphones " pretty soon.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-16 03:40 AM
    No

Posted via CB10
    07-03-16 06:14 AM
    Only if you get ALL the other people who use it with you to switch. Good luck with that. Perhaps you can get a decent productivity device to help you out
    I think he is trying to say to use the Android version of WhatsApp on the passport.

07-03-16 06:31 AM
    Narrow minds on a narrow wage
    WhatsApp and Facebook are very important for people in many markets. It's also difficult to get people to use others as well.

07-03-16 06:33 AM
    Buying a device for a single app, sounds kind of silly doesn't it?
    xtremeled and Jrox74 like this.
    07-03-16 06:40 AM
65 123