At some point BB decided to start producing iBerries and BlackSungs rather than BB devices. OK, masses want easy touch screen phones to spent loads of time on social media, playing games and youtube, wasting time on Snapchat, etc. Any phone company that wants revenues rolling must provide for that market. But what made Blackberry the top company in the past ? Making devices that are top secure, high quality of materials, excellent for communication and data management, i.e. devices for busy professionals. By trying to imitate iPhones and Android devices Blackberry may eventually disappear. A smart decision would be to create a BB line of devices that are designed for professionals. BB Passport would be an excellent starting point. Perfect it. Get the latest technology and processing power. Keep BB OS ecosystem and make it better. Use the best materials (steel, high-end plastics, leather). Look at the iPhone and Android apps used by professionals and make these Apps available for BB OS. Keep the communication skills of BB Passport. Keep the form (just like Porsche is trying to do in order to preserve it's identity). Make it desirable, expensive, durable, beautiful. Keep supporting it and developing for it. I am sure there is a market segment that would stay loyal to such a device for a long time. Vertu phones are beautiful and expensive but compared to BB Passport they have virtually no functionality. Unfortunately, I suspect BB Passport and Classic may be abandoned and BB may keep pressing with it's new android phones. Good luck and good bye in that case.
    05-03-16 03:10 PM
    BlackBerry 2010 called and says this sounds like a good strategy.
    05-03-16 03:17 PM
    Nothing in this hasn't been said in some form on CB in the past.

As much as you don't like it, the vast majority of the phone buying public spend "loads of time" on social media, the Internet and playing games as opposed to harping on and on about "productivity". Employees are people too. BlackBerry's myopic failure to notice this in and around the first iPhone launch is why they are where they are today.

On top of that, they don't have the clout to convince people to provide apps for a moribund platform, as evidenced by the at best laughable major app library for BB10.

You do say that their current strategy will make them disappear, but if they produce this white elephant phone, then they'll still disappear, except diversifying from devices is not the same as Chapter 11.
    05-03-16 03:17 PM
    The OP was talking about the 0.1% who want a niche product. You keep writing about the 99.5%.
    05-03-16 11:55 PM
    The OP was talking about the 0.1% who want a niche product. You keep writing about the 99.5%.
    If the only people who might consider buying it are within the margin of error, it's best not to bother.
    05-03-16 11:59 PM
    Like it or not, you have to deal with it. The App gap is there. We all see it. Few of us choose to ignore but most of us choose to jump ship. The way they narrow the App gap is to switch to Android. If you choose to stay, you have to live with Android. I choose to stay, but I still stick to BlackBerry 10. We don't have to let the complaint out here, cuz they won't listen.

Posted via my beloved Passport solid black edition
    05-04-16 12:47 AM
    And then the OP proceeds to list all of the technological feature that the 0.1% will want for their niche including the professional apps and services.

It's like walking into a supermarket and saying "Who needs all this stuff? Just build a smaller store with a good choice of the basic organic produce, meats, and lactose-free dairy. Plus breakfast cereal for adults, a good selection of coffee, and a little bakery that makes scones. Otherwise, I don't need 99% of that other things in here."
    05-04-16 01:11 AM
    Well not going to rant, no BB10 no Blackberry.
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    05-04-16 01:52 AM
    Let it go and move on with life or you can buy BlackBerry company and set them in the right way. That would really do us BlackBerry fans a favor XD. Voicing out your thoughts in billions of lines won't change anything. JC just didn't bother anyway. You will end up getting hurt more and more. Find something that would appreciate the person you are and will never abandoned you. BlackBerry 10 was special to me, you and all of us but its dead now. Life goes on. I wish you all the best

Posted via CB10
    05-04-16 02:16 AM
    Hahahahaha. Very original piece. I love the grocery comparison. Also verrry funny. Hahaha.

Posted via CB10
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    05-04-16 02:54 AM
    If we make enough noise, it might yet happen. Maybe Chen sees that the the Passport still sells and he makes another batch. Then he decides to do a follow up with a full touchscreen.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-16 04:08 AM
    Bb10 is not dead. If hand sets are profitable more can be done. Until that happens it's sort of frozen but not dead. Ever see return of the Jedi?

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    05-04-16 06:53 AM
    I can't believe that this post only started 15 hours ago...

Posted via CB10
    05-04-16 07:01 AM
    Seriously, STOP ! it's just a smartphone... there are tons of great phones out there. just buy the one and be happy. Go read some books, go out with girls, watch a movie, anything is better than ranting on a BlackBerry forum.....
    05-04-16 07:31 AM
    You're right that the identity of BB going forward is different. The question Chen and team are probably asking is this: would you rather lose old the identity, or lose the company altogether.
    05-04-16 07:57 AM
    If we make enough noise, it might yet happen. Maybe Chen sees that the the Passport still sells and he makes another batch. Then he decides to do a follow up with a full touchscreen.

Posted via CB10
    If there are still parts in production. The Classic is too old to restart production, the Passport is about the same vintage.
    05-04-16 10:58 AM
    I think it's more than just people wanting to play games, watch videos and use social media. I think we're seeing the conclusion of a social shift going back nearly a decade.

I'm sure everyone remembers the 2008 market crash that devastated economies worldwide. I think that was the beginning of the end not necessarily for Blackberry but for the popularity of business people in general (and their toys). I remember before the market crash, all sorts of non-business people got Blackberries because, believe it or not , they were cool. Yes BB was at one point cool. It was a powerful status symbol.

But the market crash changed all that. The have-nots started to have huge and building resentment for the haves and, fair or not, BB was kinda lumped into that resentment. Occupy movements started popping up everywhere, young people started having changing attitudes (read wholesale rejection) towards the old order. Chucking the ol' Business BlackBerry was probably the first and easiest to go.

And who could argue? On the one hand Apple had a grassroots but trendy appeal to the young masses (remember at the time Apple was a plucky also ran) and then Android with their free-source platform widened the appeal that cool gadgets don't have to be super expensive.

It's ironic to see a Star Wars reference up above but to most people BB represented the oppressive empire while Apple and Android represented rebellion and freedom from the shackles of oppression.

Well that resentment can still be felt as BB is slowly dying and too few people willing to forgive and forget.

In truth BB failed to reinvent itself and change people's perceptions. Businesses haven't stopped existing but they've stopped using one of the symbols of the old ways: the Blackberry. They've switched to Apple and Android as a way to appeal to the younger crowd that they need to sell to and support from.

I think that's where the battle was lost. Consumers was one piece of the pie that BB lost and to some that's fair, but losing the business piece of the pie was the killer blow.

This is why it is a pretty good idea for BB to retreat into the relatively anonymous world of software where nobody really knows or cares that it's BlackBerry. And then maybe one day, maybe with a new name, come out with new devices again. Right now the resistance is still strong...that's why so many people still have such negative attitudes towards BlackBerry.
    05-04-16 12:04 PM
    Seriously, STOP ! it's just a smartphone... there are tons of great phones out there. just buy the one and be happy. Go read some books, go out with girls, watch a movie, anything is better than ranting on a BlackBerry forum.....
    Without BB10, how do you expect any of us to get girls?
    05-04-16 02:00 PM
    Get the latest iPhone and you're good to go.

Don't get me wrong. I love bb10. Still my one and only device. I'm just giving u an alternative that actually works with girls

Posted via CB10
    05-04-16 03:55 PM
    Bb10 is not dead. If hand sets are profitable more can be done. Until that happens it's sort of frozen but not dead. Ever see return of the Jedi?

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    Frozen and let to die. If they keep producing androids, logic is no more updates for BB10. When will they keep up? The next 5 years where Google have patented almost every things human brain could think of? Good as dead to me.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-16 04:03 PM
    I'm only here to win a phone, but in my defense, it will be a BB10 phone

Posted via CB10
    MAbH11 likes this.
    05-04-16 05:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    Making noise does not make profit for BB. Perhaps a better strategy is to buy 5 BB and use them all. then buy 5 more and hand them out to family.
    MAbH11 likes this.
    05-04-16 07:00 PM
    Ha ha, without BB phone, you still get the girls j/k.

All the girls like the boys with the latest iPhone.
    05-04-16 07:11 PM
    But what made Blackberry the top company in the past ?
    There was no iPhone and there was no Android. They had a great product but they were the best by default in a way. They failed to change. They failed to see the change and then they failed to react. Everything else is meaningless!
    Troy Tiscareno and rt2567 like this.
    05-04-16 07:22 PM
    Love BB10 on my Passport SE as well as my previous Q10. Hopefully support/updates will continue for some time and the OS does not get abandoned like my (still functional) PlayBook!
    05-04-16 07:30 PM
74 123