Just got my PP two days ago, I new to PKB's, having some awkwardness holding the phone while using thumbs to type. Feels like phone will fall.
    Should I be using thumbnails to click keys of thumbtips,sides?
    My thumbs feel too long and cramped bent trying to hit keys near edges.

Thx

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 11:04 PM
    You should be holding it however works for you....they're your hands and only you know how they feel lol. Honestly, I think you're overthinking it. Just type.
    11-20-14 11:08 PM
    Personally, I hold it with my ring fingers while I type. Gives me just the right amount of support while simultaneously giving bringing it up enough that my thumbs don't feel cramped and awkward trying to type.
    11-21-14 01:22 AM
    I've held one at a store. You should be placing fingers near back middle part of phone with thumbs standing on top of the keys. You want to hold at the center of gravity basically.

Posted via CB10
    cgallaer likes this.
    11-21-14 01:35 AM
    I place it on my pinky finger when I type, I find it comfortable and gives me enough room to move my thumb so I can reach the back and eneter buttons

Posted from my flawless and amazing BlackBerry Passport. #LebanonBB
    Evindzer likes this.
    11-21-14 01:39 AM
    You should be holding it however works for you....they're your hands and only you know how they feel lol
    The question is: shouldn't they make a device in a size and a shape somehow made for typical human hands? This means made so that such questions [1] do not appear again and again? These questions lead to a presumption: the size and shape of the passport, I could also say the ergonomics, are a problem for many people. It is never good if you just have to learn idiotic things, how to hold, how to press buttons and so on. RIM will make experiences with this.

[1] How to hold while talking? How to hold while typing? How to carry in a pocket? Which pocket to use? - There have been several threads now about such topics.
    11-21-14 01:54 AM
    I hold the passport with two hands and type with my "BlackBerry Thumbs", I have big hands and this works well for me.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    Evindzer likes this.
    11-21-14 04:07 AM
    I place it on my pinky finger when I type...
    This. Pinky fingers provide a base for the phone to stand on, followed by your ring fingers adding stability behind the keyboard. Middle and index fingers are splayed out behind the screen. Thumbs do the typing.
    Evindzer likes this.
    11-21-14 07:44 AM
    This. Pinky fingers provide a base for the phone to stand on, followed by your ring fingers adding stability behind the keyboard. Middle and index fingers are splayed out behind the screen. Thumbs do the typing.
    What he said.

Plus for extra stability sometimes I will extend my left index finger to the top left corner to further brace the device.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 08:02 AM
    What he said.

Plus for extra stability sometimes I will extend my left index finger to the top left corner to further brace the device.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I think this is how I feel most stable. I think the trick is to keep a descent distance for the thumbs to be away from the keys...just the tips resting on keyboard surface lightly. Otherwise the angle gets too extreme for my joints.

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 11:26 AM
    I caught the part where OP indicated that he is using his "nails" to type...that may be causing the ergonomic issue. Use the tip of your thumb...not the nail
    11-21-14 11:49 AM
    I hold it with my right hand and left pinky at the base, ring and middle fingers hold the back. While for some odd reason I like to use both pointer fingers to hold the sides on top lol

What is that?! That my friend is my BlackBerry Passport.
    Evindzer likes this.
    11-21-14 12:07 PM
    Well I'll tell you how I hold mine as I type this.

Ok so right index finger hugs the top end
    Left index is pressed against the left side bezel
    Right pinky sits underneath the phone.
    Thumbs obviously do the job of typing.

Idk now I'm seeing that I don't hold it the same way Everytime I go to type. Just have to find a comfortable position for yourself. Give yourself some time. You'll get used to the keyboard. It took me two weeks to get almost as fast as my q10.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT on T-MO
    11-21-14 12:31 PM
    Don't hold it upright when typing. For instance, don't walk and type at the same time.
    If you use it by having it having it tilt to you by about 30 degrees from it facing the sky then you can hold the passport much more easily without the top-heavy problem when you type.
    This will mean that you have to generally look down at your passport. So you won't be able to do other things at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 06:11 AM
    Don't hold it upright when typing. For instance, don't walk and type at the same time.
    If you use it by having it having it tilt to you by about 30 degrees from it facing the sky then you can hold the passport much more easily without the top-heavy problem when you type.
    This will mean that you have to generally look down at your passport. So you won't be able to do other things at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    I can't type fine while walking. Just as well as the q10. Again, it's not as portable as the q10 but definitely walkable

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT on T-MO
    Evindzer likes this.
    11-22-14 06:45 AM
    You should be holding it however works for you....they're your hands and only you know how they feel lol. Honestly, I think you're overthinking it. Just type.
    Just wanted to add...have the screen facing you. Tends to help.

Ok, thanks
    Evindzer likes this.
    11-22-14 11:40 AM
    Just wanted to add...have the screen facing you. Tends to help.
    Also, you should hold the device so that the keyboard is at the bottom.
    Evindzer likes this.
    11-22-14 12:43 PM
    I own one, and this is how I hold mine.

I've held one at a store. You should be placing fingers near back middle part of phone with thumbs standing on top of the keys. You want to hold at the center of gravity basically.

Posted via CB10

Blackberry Passport SQW 100-1, 10.3.0.908
    11-22-14 03:18 PM
    The question is: shouldn't they make a device in a size and a shape somehow made for typical human hands? This means made so that such questions [1] do not appear again and again? These questions lead to a presumption: the size and shape of the passport, I could also say the ergonomics, are a problem for many people. It is never good if you just have to learn idiotic things, how to hold, how to press buttons and so on. RIM will make experiences with this.

[1] How to hold while talking? How to hold while typing? How to carry in a pocket? Which pocket to use? - There have been several threads now about such topics.
    Sorry, but I have very small hands for a male and I have no problem holding the passport, I can almost reach all the keys with one hand too. Do I have a smaller device than everyone else?

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 04:51 PM
    with the leather flip case on, i find it helps to grip the front leather case between your left hands thumb and lower first finger, and use the thumbs of both hands to type with
    11-22-14 04:53 PM
    I rest the Passport on my two baby pinkies on the bottom while the other the six fingers hold the back and I type with thumbs , seems easy enough for me so far.

Via My amazing BBPassport
    11-22-14 05:54 PM
    I bought a polyurethane protector. I then took a Dremel to the bottom half and ground it rough. It is now much easier for me to hold the phone without it slipping.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 12:26 AM
    I caught the part where OP indicated that he is using his "nails" to type...that may be causing the ergonomic issue. Use the tip of your thumb...not the nail
    Probably not practical for some people but as a guy I've found that the shorter my nails the easier it is to type...if you have longer nails I've always thought that would making typing on a small phone keyboard uncomfortable--even typing on a PC keyboard is going to be awkward if your nails are really long too

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 02:47 PM

They did make one of those, it was called the Z10, and we all know how well that sold.

Ergonomics are important, I agree, but the questions being posed are more due to its size then rather the ergonomics. I hold my PP the same way I've held every phone. Pinkys resting at the bottom, thumbs on the KB, and the 3 others splayed across the back. No problem with ergonomics here.
    11-23-14 03:11 PM
    I also rest it on my pinky find it works great. I was worried about the keyboard layout but it works. I hope they put the four rows on the passport 2. The touch sensitive keyboard is amazing.
    PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 03:47 PM
29 12