Just a random thought.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 06:14 PM
    I would say no to that. An OTA update puts enough heat degrading the battery and to wipe the device and start fresh after every update seems very unrealistic. Most of us have tons of various information on our devices and this just would not be practical.

The only time I'd recommend something like this is if there is a real issue with the device that may stem from a bad file or app. Otherwise, this seems unnecessary and extra time wasted for no reason.

I still have a Z10 from launch which has been updated OTA countless times and runs like a champ. It has only gotten better with each update. Guess this would be situational, but definitely not recommended for a perfectly working device.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 06:38 PM
    Just not quite clear. You do an OTA upgrade, then you wipe your phone. And you do what then..? Another OTA upgrade? In other words after you have wiped what do you do?

Posted via Z30 or Red Passport.
    04-27-15 06:46 PM
    Just not quite clear. You do an OTA upgrade, then you wipe your phone. And you do what then..? Another OTA upgrade? In other words after you have wiped what do you do?

Was thinking this as well. I had updated my old Z30 OTA and bought a new one on sale... ended up wiping the old one just to OTA back to 10.3.1. Maybe the OP is just referring to having a clean slate. As I wrote, doesn't seem very practical but maybe not quite understanding the OP.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 07:08 PM
    I have the Z30 and i was having problems (lagging and freezing). So i wipe it and install the OS from link and now i dont have problems.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 07:39 PM
    I have the Z30 and i was having problems (lagging and freezing). So i wipe it and install the OS from link and now i dont have problems.

Posted via CB10
    If there is an issue with your device most recommend reloading the OS if unable to resolve without wiping as you did, but if the device is working as it should it doesn't make much sense to update OTA then wipe then start from scratch having to update again OTA. Think there is some confusion on what exactly the OP was asking possibly.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 08:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Very wise move and this can happen in machines that cost $10,000 . Sometimes the OS has to be reloaded.
    04-27-15 08:58 PM
    I would only recommend performing a security wipe (or a device software reload) after an update if there are issues that regular troubleshooting methods are unable to resolve. It's a little excessive to be wiping and reloading your phone all of the time.
    bhrgvr likes this.
    04-27-15 09:12 PM

Well... I was referring to leaks and OTA upgrades. You get an OTA and post that, is it fine to wipe the device and start fresh?

What about loading up leaks? Do we do a security wipe or leave it?

Will we experience unexpected behaviour if we don't do a wipe on leaked OS?

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 01:14 AM
    No but it definitely is a good thing to do if you feel the OS is acting too odd to be normal. I've done it twice at least over 2+ years.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 01:18 AM
    Well... I was referring to leaks and OTA upgrades. You get an OTA and post that, is it fine to wipe the device and start fresh?

Posted via CB10
    Wipe only if needed. If not don't do it. There's no point.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 01:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    Security wipe reverses your phone to the original state so if you do it after the OTA you will have to update your phone again.

It depends. On certain leaks, there are more people reporting problems using blitz than autoloader. On certain leaks, there are fewer people with problems caused by using blitz.

I would say that if you jump OS very far (eg from 10.2 to 10.3) then a wipe is recommended. All I can say is that you have lower chance of having a problems if you wipe your device BEFORE you update or use an autoloader than not.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport - 10.3.1.2576
    bhrgvr likes this.
    04-28-15 01:59 AM
    It is not a good practice unless you have nothing important thing to do for the next 2 to 3 hours...

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 03:53 AM
    I would say no to that. An OTA update puts enough heat degrading the battery and to wipe the device and start fresh after every update seems very unrealistic. Most of us have tons of various information on our devices and this just would not be practical.

The only time I'd recommend something like this is if there is a real issue with the device that may stem from a bad file or app. Otherwise, this seems unnecessary and extra time wasted for no reason.

I still have a Z10 from launch which has been updated OTA countless times and runs like a champ. It has only gotten better with each update. Guess this would be situational, but definitely not recommended for a perfectly working device.

Posted via CB10
    I did a manual update using sachesi and the 2708 update. It updated without a hitch and I did not do a clean install! even with clean installs, when u really kneed to start fresh is an option if corruption has occured but in most cases is not necessary! Also sometimes doing a clean install and using bblink to restore settings may also corrupt the installation! I did a update over existing os and everything is fine!

 Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.1.2708 Rogers Wireless
    bhrgvr likes this.
    04-28-15 05:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    An OTA upgrade does not change any of your settings and retains all your data. The OS has been tested and is stable and has no issues (99%).
    A leak can not be installed OTA and needs an autoloader to install. A leak is destructive ( meaning it destroys /writes over) of everything on your phone. They are inherently, mostly, instable. And that is why more often than not, you need to wipe your phone and start fresh.
    So it depends what you use your phone for. If it is a critical apparatus of work, then I would advise against it. If it is mainly used for calls and emails. Then you could install leaks and find out what is the latest and the best out of forthcoming official releases.
    Leaks come out regularly often, whilst official leaks are about 6 to 8 months intervals.

bhrgvr likes this.
    04-28-15 07:38 AM