Hello there, I am mobile developer, who tired from android/ios. Is it possible to use bb passport in 2017 and develop apps for this platform(will anyone use bb applications)?
    ratfinkstooley and Avenzuno like this.
    02-19-17 07:33 AM
    Well let me put it this way......"can I give you my name and credit-card number? Lol. I am one voice but I'm sure there are many who don't want to leave. Again if the app is good and needed you should enjoy support.
    Right off the hop, if you for instance decided to create a WhatsApp alternative you would make a lot of dough. Just saying that is the highest priority in BB10 at this point.
    02-19-17 07:54 AM
    Hello there, I am mobile developer, who tired from android/ios. Is it possible to use bb passport in 2017 and develop apps for this platform(will anyone use bb applications)?
    To be honest OS 10 is becoming just a corporate operating system. But on the other hand if you would like to develop an APP for OS 10 it would never hurt. There is a group of users that will be very happy. Just remember the numbers will be very small compared to Android. One last thought you may want to see how your app goes for OS 10 then roll it out for droid.
    02-19-17 07:55 AM
    Well let me put it this way......"can I give you my name and credit-card number? Lol. I am one voice but I'm sure there are many who don't want to leave. Again if the app is good and needed you should enjoy support.
    Right off the hop, if you for instance decided to create a WhatsApp alternative you would make a lot of dough. Just saying that is the highest priority in BB10 at this point.
    When this guy says whatsapp alternative he means a native whatsapp client that utilises whatsapp api...

He doesnt mean create another bbm.

Posted via my BlackBerry two way pager
    02-19-17 08:05 AM
    Just for your information BlackBerry 10 market share is 0.04 %, for you to consider

CB Mod
    02-19-17 08:47 AM
    When this guy says whatsapp alternative he means a native whatsapp client that utilises whatsapp api...

He doesnt mean create another bbm.

Posted via my BlackBerry two way pager
    That's correct, sorry for the lack of info. WhatsApp is set to be discontinued in June so people will be jumping ship if they can't have it or use it. This would mean a lot to the BB10 community.
    In the words of The new highly respected president of the United States of America, " it would be HUGE!!!"

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 08:50 AM
    Wow App Slavery? You are kidding right?
    02-19-17 09:16 AM
    Wow App Slavery? You are kidding right?
    Flip side to that is OS slavery right? Ha ha! Take your pick.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 10:40 AM
    Hello,

Yes I would buy apps for sure.

Best regards

Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.2163/CB10
    cuser1 and kristofszucs like this.
    02-19-17 10:57 AM
    WhatsApp does not have a public API, so reverse engineering the app to create a 3rd party alternative would be illegal.

OP, to answer your question, I wouldn't waste your time.
    02-19-17 11:02 AM
    You should look at the SDK. You'll find it hasn't been updated in a very long time.
    02-19-17 11:06 AM
    You can develop for the os and there are people who would buy the apps but it's a very limited user base at this point.

If you're developing for anything other than a hobby I wouldn't bother. You're not going to get rich developing for bb10.

That being said, I'd love to see more development and would absolutely support you.

Posted via CB10
    The_Passporter likes this.
    02-19-17 11:21 AM
    The best use of your time and effort would be to go to a crowded public space and look for someone using a BB10 device. After a couple of hours, you will get a sense of what your potential user base is. Statistically, you will have to look at 250 smartphones to find one of your potential customers. Then, perhaps you can ask them if they would buy one of your apps. Of those that tell you they will, optimistically, only one out of ten would actually do it.
    02-19-17 11:41 AM
    If you can make an app that allows me to sync with my Smartwatch (mainly my Samsung Gear s2 classic) ...SHUT up and take my money!!!! LOL

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 08:48 PM
    To answer your questions, check out just some of the content out there confirming that BB10 is still relevant and has a dedicated user base

Hope this helps! I know, I for one am a die-hard and there are a lot more out there.
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    02-19-17 09:08 PM
    Build an app people want/need and BB10 users will come.

Edit: Just don't hope to become rich. You need to understand the user base is SMALL!

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.3.2163  pin:2C09CE92
    02-19-17 09:17 PM
    Build an app people want/need and BB10 users will come.

Edit: Just don't hope to become rich. You need to understand the user base is SMALL!
    Small is relative. While the marketshare for BB10 is small, I think the last year (quarter?) still showed them moving over 200k phones. Add to that existing users, that's several hundred thousand users at least. Is that a small market not worth addressing? What if you could even sell to 10% of the users for $1? That could be a decent income in some countries.

Niche markets can be sustainable if you're not interested in fame or marketshare. Sometimes it's worth playing in the small pond rather than the big ocean. If you were to develop for Android, how would you get noticed in the sea of 1000's of apps released every month or even week?

For any app developer on any OS, Ï wouldn't quit your day job until you actually strike it big. It's a tough way to make a living.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-19-17 10:03 PM
    Small is relative. While the marketshare for BB10 is small, I think the last year (quarter?) still showed them moving over 200k phones. Add to that existing users, that's several hundred thousand users at least. Is that a small market not worth addressing? What if you could even sell to 10% of the users for $1? That could be a decent income in some countries.

Niche markets can be sustainable if you're not interested in fame or marketshare. Sometimes it's worth playing in the small pond rather than the big ocean. If you were to develop for Android, how would you get noticed in the sea of 1000's of apps released every month or even week?

For any app developer on any OS, Ï wouldn't quit your day job until you actually strike it big. It's a tough way to make a living.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Didn't I just say the same thing in simpler terms? Lol

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.3.2163  pin:2C09CE92
    02-19-17 10:06 PM
    What kind of apps did you make for Android and iOS? BB10 users can run many Android apps, so it's possible you could easily just port your apps over with very little "development" cost. Check out BlackBerry Developers - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

But the real key, are they apps that people want or need. Or are they copy cat apps that are there are thousands of... many of which are free? If you had something new, that the remaining BB10 users need and can't get in BBW or Google Play... think you could make some money. But most of what people want or need or Big Brand apps....
    02-20-17 09:38 AM
    Those are some nicely-produced videos. Thanks, Euro-Matt Damon, Jr.!

I'll bet fewer than 10% of Passport users have ever purchased an app, much less your specific app. In answer to your question, several hundred thousand users who don't think much about apps - because they bought a Passport - is not a market worth addressing.
    02-20-17 10:01 AM
    The SDK is strange. It's relatively hard to get a debug token. Another moment is connecting your phone. Windows PC works sometimes, but linux PC won't. I haven't tried Mac, but something makes me think that it looks like linux.
    02-20-17 10:13 AM
    We blackberry 10 followers should support the OP keenness to develop the app in order to encourage such developers churning out ways to keep BlackBerry world alive and kicking and developers getting some money out of it.

Especially, if developers find a way to keep defunct or yet to get defunct app alive on BlackBerry world. Then that would be a great contribution to keep we folks happy to use those apps.

Other than Nemory, if new determined & dedicated bunch of developers come out of the way and do something to keep fb, instagram, what's app etc alive on BlackBerry world which would work like native app then that would be called a great contribution to BlackBerry love and love for BlackBerry 10!!!

I am with your idea to develop new apps for BlackBerry 10!!!

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    02-20-17 10:50 AM
    Webos had the homebrew developer side.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    02-20-17 12:18 PM
    We blackberry 10 followers should support the OP keenness to develop the app in order to encourage such developers churning out ways to keep BlackBerry world alive and kicking and developers getting some money out of it.

Especially, if developers find a way to keep defunct or yet to get defunct app alive on BlackBerry world. Then that would be a great contribution to keep we folks happy to use those apps.

Other than Nemory, if new determined & dedicated bunch of developers come out of the way and do something to keep fb, instagram, what's app etc alive on BlackBerry world which would work like native app then that would be called a great contribution to BlackBerry love and love for BlackBerry 10!!!

I am with your idea to develop new apps for BlackBerry 10!!!

Posted via CB10
    It's one thing for a group or an individual developers to create their own apps for the BB10 platform.... Backup Utility, Bunny Ears on pictures App, or some Flappy Critter Game.

It's another thing for a developer to try and reverse engineer someone else's App so that it will work on another platform. Most of the changes that Big Developers are making.... are to try and protect their customers and their data. And it simply isn't going to work like it once did... say for WebOS.

The real problem for BB10.... is the age of the phones, other than the Passport they are all 2013 hardware sets. And the age of the Android Runtime used Jelly Bean was released in July of 2012. At some point the apps simple aren't going to run or work correctly or do the things the real app does. Most BB10 users know that, and most users where in a position to upgrade over this last year... and have done so. I doubt there is much of a consumer BB10 user base left at this point.
    02-20-17 02:01 PM
    Latest stats say that Android users download all the same apps and have their core set of apps. A huge percentage of apps in the Google Play Store have never been downloaded ever. Even though there are many more users on Android it is not as easy as you may think to crack their market.
    Can't say you wouldn't make more money on BB10 where your app would be seen and if useful definitely bought and downloaded.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-17 06:22 PM
68 123