I ordered the Passport on the day it was released and it arrived shortly. I went on a trip to Hong Kong and China and while on the trip the sim card tray stopped working. It said no sim card detected. I went to local carrier in Hong Kong from which I had gotten the sim card originally and they said it was not the sim card. They even tried one of their employee's sim cards and it still would not work.

Upon returning to the USA I put in my AT&T sim card and it was stuck. I had to keep pressing to get the spring to release. I called Blackberry and the first customer service rep instructed me to put the sim card in backwards. He had me try it a few times that way. I tried to explain to him that it was the wrong way but he would not listen. Then he put me on hold and when he came back he instructed me to put it in correct way. Finally he said the phone would have to be replaced. They gave me option to receive a new one and mail in the old one. i was instructed if the old one was deemed to be defective from me than I would have to pay the repair cost. I had no problem with this since I had not done anything to the phone.

After receiving the phone the RMA department contacts me by email saying I damaged the sim card tray and therefore it would not be repaired under warranty. At that point I was told I would have to pay $260 (U.S.) for the repair. I have been going back and forth with the RMA department and am not getting any results other than pay them the money or return the phone and receive my broken phone back.

SO I AM CALLING ON THE CRACKBERRY NATION for help!. Does anyone know of a direct number where I can talk to some one within BlackBerry that is higher up the command line than the RMA people. The RMA supervisor told me today that he is the highest level I can talk to and that there is no other avenue for me other than pay the fee or accept back the old phone and return the new one. HAS ANYONE else experienced this problem and gotten the same type of response from RMA.

I am not a troll, I am a faithful BB user and a stockholder who has stood with BB all of these years when family and friends have abandoned BB. I have been made fun of for being loyal to BB but the RMA personnel could care less if i was a long time employee or a first time buyer.

I did nothing wrong. I used the phone correctly. I was told by 2 RMA people that they would escalate this but I don't believe they actually did it. I think they are just wanting to get my money. I am retired and I cannot afford to just surrender $260 without having the opportunity to really talking to some one beyond the front line employees. The thing that bothers me more than the money is that I love the Passport and now I am concern about ever buying anything BB again because of the concern that this is the way they will treat you when an issue arises.

So I am hoping someone on CB maybe works for BlackBerry and can help me with this issue or will know of a phone number beyond the public one given by RMA so that I can try to present my case. Because of space, I have not addressed the emails and phone conversations that I have had with all of the RMA employees.

Thank you
    Rod Cable
    05-19-15 04:15 PM
    Unfortunately I don't think anything can be done. If the technicians at BlackBerry have deemed this as your fault, it probably is. You probably didn't damage the sim slot on purpose, but it probably happened without you having the knowledge of it. Now its too late though. I would suggest just pay them the money and get it over with, you really have no other option.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 05:53 PM
    Curios, did they explain what actually broke?

I agree with above, $260 is less than buying a new phone and yours is no good as it is. I would just be careful with the next Chinese SIM.
    05-19-15 06:01 PM
    go on twitter,facebook whatever else there is and rant about bad customer service, its also bad on their part because nothing else fits in the sim tray, nano is the smallest sim card there is. now if its a micro sim with an adapter i can see where the hinges break off when they get caught but nano nothing else fits. it could just be bad manufacturing
    05-19-15 06:12 PM
    Did you by any chance have a 'cut' SIM Card and not an original nano SIM?

The older SIM's are slightly thicker and can cause this issue..

Not saying this is what happened to you, but as a warning to others who use SIM cutters. I have seen even carriers who use SIM cutters on their customers SIM's instead of giving them real ones...
    thymaster likes this.
    05-19-15 06:13 PM
    I ordered the Passport on the day it was released and it arrived shortly. I went on a trip to Hong Kong and China and while on the trip the sim card tray stopped working. It said no sim card detected. I went to local carrier in Hong Kong from which I had gotten the sim card originally and they said it was not the sim card. They even tried one of their employee's sim cards and it still would not work.

Upon returning to the USA I put in my AT&T sim card and it was stuck. I had to keep pressing to get the spring to release. I called Blackberry and the first customer service rep instructed me to put the sim card in backwards. He had me try it a few times that way. I tried to explain to him that it was the wrong way but he would not listen. Then he put me on hold and when he came back he instructed me to put it in correct way. Finally he said the phone would have to be replaced. They gave me option to receive a new one and mail in the old one. i was instructed if the old one was deemed to be defective from me than I would have to pay the repair cost. I had no problem with this since I had not done anything to the phone.

After receiving the phone the RMA department contacts me by email saying I damaged the sim card tray and therefore it would not be repaired under warranty. At that point I was told I would have to pay $260 (U.S.) for the repair. I have been going back and forth with the RMA department and am not getting any results other than pay them the money or return the phone and receive my broken phone back.

SO I AM CALLING ON THE CRACKBERRY NATION for help!. Does anyone know of a direct number where I can talk to some one within BlackBerry that is higher up the command line than the RMA people. The RMA supervisor told me today that he is the highest level I can talk to and that there is no other avenue for me other than pay the fee or accept back the old phone and return the new one. HAS ANYONE else experienced this problem and gotten the same type of response from RMA.

I am not a troll, I am a faithful BB user and a stockholder who has stood with BB all of these years when family and friends have abandoned BB. I have been made fun of for being loyal to BB but the RMA personnel could care less if i was a long time employee or a first time buyer.

I did nothing wrong. I used the phone correctly. I was told by 2 RMA people that they would escalate this but I don't believe they actually did it. I think they are just wanting to get my money. I am retired and I cannot afford to just surrender $260 without having the opportunity to really talking to some one beyond the front line employees. The thing that bothers me more than the money is that I love the Passport and now I am concern about ever buying anything BB again because of the concern that this is the way they will treat you when an issue arises.

So I am hoping someone on CB maybe works for BlackBerry and can help me with this issue or will know of a phone number beyond the public one given by RMA so that I can try to present my case. Because of space, I have not addressed the emails and phone conversations that I have had with all of the RMA employees.

Thank you
    Rod Cable
    Hey Rob,

I will send you a PM tonight with a contact that can hopefully help.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 06:13 PM
    I do not believe I did anything wrong. The sim tray detection error happen before the BB CSR told me to put it in backwards. My feelings is that is what caused "the damage" and that the sim card tray failed before that. Yes $260 is less than a price of a new phone but compared to all the items within a phone it is a small factor in my opinion to have such a charge. I would agree to a minor repair cost and move on if they would agree to less than the $260.

Yes I plan on giving $260 worth of advertising for them. I wish I lived in Canada and as a stockholder I would appear at the next annual meeting complaining how they do not have an accessible customer service route for people to appeal decisions made by low level employees. I wrote this thread to see if others had experienced this problem and to see if anyone has possible routes I can discuss this with BB personnel above this supervisor level. He told me that he is the highest level of appeal I can do. If this is true then it is another reason why BB is in the condition they are. If long term loyal customers have no recourse then how can you win over new customers.
    Soapm likes this.
    05-19-15 06:59 PM
    i think thats completely ridiculous to charge that amount, that for them costs pennies to fix i mean seriously how much does it cost them to fix that not $260 worth thats for sure.
    05-19-15 07:30 PM
    Stick to the response that you were instructed by BB support to insert SIM backwards, despite your warnings.

If they can trace back that call to a newbie agent rather than a level 2 or 3 agent, you might have a case.

Similar for web hosting a few months back. I called to cancel internet services a day before the next month was to be billed. Spoke with a guy, who said that I needed to provide cancellation in writing, but he would accept my verbal cancellation and that if I ever get hassled, refer back to this call (they are normally very meticulous and thorough with customer support and I have only ever been pleased with them until then). He then sent an email to the account manager to contact me. The email I got back the following week from the account manager was that I had 'inquired about services' and wanted me to call her. Since I had already moved all services away and there was nothing to discuss, I never called her back. From my point of view, it would be a waste of time.

When the 30 days ran up, service wasn't cancelled. So I contacted them, and they stuck to their 30 days written notice saying they'll take my 30 days that day instead of 5 weeks prior. I stuck to my guns, stating over and over that my verbal cancellation was accepted, and that I would have easily provided written notice if I was told that I needed to. She kept saying there was no evidence of my cancellation call. I kept at her, saying that she got an email from that very same agent who took my call, and you'll have notes on the account and the email, and you can ask the person who sent you the email.

It got escalated to her boss, who offered to split the 30 days notice and treat it like 15 days notice. Again, I kept repeating that when I called to cancel, that is when the 30 days notice started and they should forward me the email that originally told the account manager that I 'inquired about services' because the person I talked to on the phone was very thorough and friendly and there was no confusion that I was specifically calling to cancel services. When I had called, I was expecting to have services cancelled the following day, so of course it was my priority to get the 30 days notice on file ASAP as we're getting charged 1 month for services not needed/provided.

Next day, the manager cancelled the account and issued the appropriate credit so that my original cancellation date was used. It just took about 3 back and forths and sticking to my guns that I was in the right and they were in the wrong.

Without being able to examine the SIM card slot to determine if there was excessive force or a manufacturing defect, its difficult to argue that it was a manufacturing defect. Unfortunately, their RMA technician probably has the best experience with MFG defect vs excessive force.

Keep sticking to your claim that the BB agent provided you with incorrect instructions despite your warnings and that this is on that person. Perhaps try and throw them under the bus by saying they were rookie agents without the experience of <insert name of BB person you are currently talking to>.
    05-19-15 08:16 PM
    Who in their right mind is going to insert something the wrong way? Even if my mother told me I would not listen.

Passport SQW 100-1 OS 10.3.2.680
    05-19-15 09:31 PM
    Hi Rob, let me know if you still need a hand with contacting a senior blackberry representative to get this sorted.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 09:49 PM
    File a BBB complaint. bbb.org
    05-19-15 10:14 PM
    Hi Rob, let me know if you still need a hand with contacting a senior blackberry representative to get this sorted.

Posted via CB10
    I got a PM with one name and i wrote an email but will have to wait till tomorrow to see if that person still works at BB.
    05-19-15 10:18 PM
    I got a PM with one name and i wrote an email but will have to wait till tomorrow to see if that person still works at BB.
    I would suggest you to get it repaired with an independent phone repair shop. They can pro any get it done for the quarter of that price.

Dommages happens. It's like driving a car, and your tire leaks air. Now did you drive on a nail or was the tire a manufacturing defect? It's probably easy to figure out

In your case, did the SIM slot break cause the card was forced in improperly or was there a manufacturing defect? Difficult to prove

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 10:29 PM
    Yeah seen blackberry repair online repairing sim slot for 35-70 Canadian. Would not worry, stuff happens take to third party repair and get over with.

Smart phones are iffy with warranty, just how how it is due to the volume and closed form factor vs say desktops.
    05-19-15 10:47 PM
    I empathize with your situation. It sounds like you got the shaft and they are covering their behinds. Do not take this sitting down. Escalate this matter, cuss, scratch, yell, swear, spread the word via social media, but do not back down at all.

I own a service depot and if I saw one of my techs reverse installing a SIM card forcibly or advising a client to do so on the phone, they would be out of a job in a heart beat.

When dealing with tech support through the telephone, always make sure that you are the one who dominates the conversation, not the tech support agent. You are the one who purchased the product and are entitled to service that they are supposed to provide. When they ask for your name, and address, and phone related information, make sure you get their full name and employee ID. If they start to get smart, immediately escalate to a supervisor. An agent giving proper service will have no problem giving out that kind of information. When they take you through troubleshooting steps, repeat those steps back to them for confirmation so that there is no ambiguity.

If I was you in that situation, OP, I would have said "Are you absolutely certain you are telling me to install my SIM card in reverse?". And once, they said yes, I would have refused to do that procedure and arranged to have the phone shipped in SIM card and all. We all know that forcing a SIM card into a slot backwards will damage the mechanism. Why a tech would ask you do such a thing is beyond me.

All you can do right now is continue to press the matter and make as much noise as you can. Otherwise, get a local depot to do the work. I am certain it will not cost the obscene $260 they want to charge you.

-- Passport, VMO, Toronto CA
    vptsff likes this.
    05-19-15 11:03 PM
    it would be nice to know who manufacturers the screen!

LeapSTR100-1/10.3......
    05-20-15 09:34 AM
    it would be nice to know who manufacturers the screen!

LeapSTR100-1/10.3......
    Wrong thread.... delete please!

LeapSTR100-1/10.3......
    05-20-15 09:35 AM
    Don't take no for an answer. It's as simple as that. Tell them you won't be paying anything and if they have a problem they can sue you. You have the new phone in hand, just contact your credit card company and tell them you never agreed to pay them for a repair.

Stop wasting your time with them unless you are positive that you broke the sim tray. In which case you need to pay
    05-20-15 10:08 AM
    Sorry to hear that. If you had this issue with iphone I am sure you would have a new phone by now.

It must be serious damage on sim tray/slot which is why they are asking for replacing tray from board. But 200+$ is too much.

Sometimes small particle left in sim slot which doesn't allow sim to fully in.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 10:15 AM
    Sorry to hear what had happened. I would suggest an independent phone repair person. It should be easy to find one. If you really cannot get it fixed. I will be willing to buy the sim-card-tray-broken phone because I accidentally have a mother board.

Posted via CB10
    erniel likes this.
    05-20-15 11:24 AM
    I have got same problem with you I mean that my bb passport sim card slot 1 leg was damaged,so it cant detect the sim card inserted.I was so disappointed also due to my phone warranty can not cover this kind of problem,even they do not have slot tray spare part in their store to replace.they said due to passport is new product so they do not any slot tray even internationally.
    Many shops told if I can buy that spare part then simply they will replace with very cheap fee.So just tell me any body know where I can buy this nano sim card slot tray ,please .just for information I live Qatar.
    05-20-15 02:20 PM
    Sorry to hear about your sim card tray issue, there seems to be a consistent issue with them since the OS 7 days. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to that have lost devices to this problem.
    My recommendation to all is to very rarely if ever change the sim, do not use a micro sim cut down to nano size, never ever use a sim and an adaptor.
    I live abroad and many of the service outlets can't even deal with the problem and so the phones end up in the bin. If you find one that can actually do the work, get some sort of warranty and carry on, you're lucky..

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 06:33 PM
    intentional damage by users happens. It sucks but its not the fault of the company tasked to keep the machine working right. We have to be careful if we cant see good, or have poor motor skills, then we need help or its on us.
    05-22-15 06:57 PM
    Similar situation, my receiver speaker rattles so bad when I'm on a phone call I have to turn on loud speaker to hear and understand during phone calls. I called BlackBerry to find out that although my warranty is good I must either have $700 hundred in my checking account for them to send me a replacement or send them my phone to be fixed and it will take 10 days to get it back!

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 07:08 PM
45 12