Chen doesn't have any money to subsidize the Passport - if he does, he really needs to focue on the Classic as it is more of a "everypersons" type devcie.
    The Classic is a phone in a device category that has seen the biggest losses in terms of sale numbers, apart from dumbphones.
    A device with a keyboard and a small screen, to be precise.
    If Chen focuses on the Classic, I have to wonder if he understood what happened and currently still happened.

It's also pretty easy to anticipate that the share of phones with a small screen and physical keyboard will either continue to decline or stay stagnant.
    That marker isn't one that screams growth. Not at all.

It's much rather phones like the Z3 and a real full touch flagship (something with real high-end specs. Not a Z30) that might grow BlackBerry's marketshare.

And then you have something like the Passport.
    Which could be a surprise and actually turn out as a winner (not overall, but relatively compared to what BlackBerry was currently able to achieve).

But the Classic is basically the embodiment of everything that doesn't sell in the current market (apart from government/enterprise customers).

The price tag will be just okay since the device couldn't be more different than anything else on the market. Price it around 500 dollars and people will just percept it as a "weird cheap phone from BlackBerry".
    500 isn't cheap...

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 09:26 AM
    Tl:dr but no, it won't make real profit... it may make creative accounting money but not real. it's a BlackBerry storm all over.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 06:47 PM
    Tl:dr but no, it won't make real profit... it may make creative accounting money but not real. it's a BlackBerry storm all over.

Posted via CB10
    They should have just named it the Storm 3. I agree with you.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 07:31 PM
    I really really believe the Passport by the end of its life cycle will have about 5 Million sold. It's that good!
    07-11-14 12:13 AM
    They should have just named it the Storm 3. I agree with you.

Posted via CB10
    Storm is an all touch device ******.
    07-11-14 12:16 AM
    Hmm I hope you are right, being a collector I think I will probably own one too! I hope it's priced well

Sent from pin:2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro
    07-11-14 12:18 AM
    Storm is an all touch device ******.
    That is not why it's already being referred to as the Storm 3 in some circles. It's being referred to as such because it seems this phone will be as big or bigger f a flop than either the Storm or Storm 2.

Please read the discussions carefully before making assumptions.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 03:23 AM
    That is not why it's already being referred to as the Storm 3 in some circles. It's being referred to as such because it seems this phone will be as big or bigger f a flop than either the Storm or Storm 2.

Please read the discussions carefully before making assumptions.

Posted via CB10
    That's impossible because the Storm devices went for iPhone and Android users.
    07-11-14 05:11 AM
    Hmm I hope you are right, being a collector I think I will probably own one too! I hope it's priced well

Sent from pin:2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro
    with its monster specs and
    Monster battery
    Monster 4k display
    3gb ram
    Touch keyboard tech *patented last year *

don't expect it to be priced well. It is also not made in china like the z3.

? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    07-11-14 10:45 AM
    with its monster specs and
    Monster battery
    Monster 4k display
    3gb ram
    Touch keyboard tech *patented last year *

don't expect it to be priced well. It is also not made in china like the z3.

? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    I agree with most of what you said except "don't expect it to be priced well". Priced well relative to what? When I buy a Mercedes Benz SUV I don't expect the price to be same as a JEEP.
    If the Passport is purportedly what it seems to be, then it should be priced to reflect that. And in my humble definition that would mean "Priced well".
    07-11-14 11:32 AM
    I agree that the Passport will be profitable.... don't think Chen plans to build all that many of the to begin with, and bet the price also reflect his desire for profitablity. He has the Q10 sales figures, I imagine for now he plans to use those as a guide for Passport production. If it sells really well, I wouldn't be surprised to see some shortages with a few weeks delay.

The thing is BlackBerry is no longer in the same league as Samsung, HTC, Nokia and Apple. For those guys fewer that 10 million of one product line is a failure. But for BlackBerry if the Passport can sell two million devices Chen will be happy.
    If they plan the production very well there will not be shortage.. but the production will match exactly the demand. Few weeks of delay result in missing or delayed revenues. If possible that is to be avoided

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 07:10 PM
    Closed for cooling off period. Stay tuned.
    07-12-14 07:12 PM
    [INFO]Thread reopened.
    It's obvious that the participants have differing opinions on the topic, and that's fine. However, let's debate the topic and express opinions in a civil manner. The personal comments aren't acceptable. We're discussing a device that hasn't been released and about which no one here has first-hand knowledge. One opinion is as valid as the next. Keep this firmly in mind as the discussion continues.[/INFO]
    wincyUt likes this.
    07-12-14 10:12 PM
    If I decide to buy the Passport, I will wait till the price comes down. Last year I've paid a premium price for my unlocked Q10 with no contract to see it a lot cheaper 6 months later. I will not make the same mistake.

CB10 - Q10
    07-12-14 11:03 PM
    There's definitely a premium to be paid to have the latest and greatest. Smartphones, TV's, cars. It all depends on what's important to you. I tend to indulge myself and buy early.
    07-12-14 11:06 PM
    I honestly hope the passport sells a ton and gets more Berrys in the market at this point they really need a lot of new sales and the Classic will sell a whack although the passport is not for me (classic) I think the strategy Mr. Chen is using is spot on .
    07-13-14 06:41 AM
41 12