Hello Everyone,

After years of Androids (and no interest in iPhones) I am thinking of returning to Blackberry.

Because the last time I enjoyed using a mobile phone was circa 2004, a Blackberry World. And I love the design of the Passport.

After more than one false start into the curious world of smartphones, I have no interest in Angry Birds, Tinder, or uploading photos of my breakfast to an Apple "ecosystem".....

So I write hoping that someone - anyone here in the Crackberry community might relate to my plight and help outline a solution:

1) I want a smartphone to really only do two things

a) make a decent phone call and
    b) help me get things done quickly,

whether making phone calls quickly, sending emails quickly and if I have to, sending texts quickly.

(There may be other grown up applications that I don't yet realize I can't live without but for now, it could be as simple as that.)

2) Now this is a bit trickier: I consider my contacts (including all business contacts) proprietary to ME.

Meaning whether personal or professional - friend or relatives - restaurants, hotels merchants etc, I would like anyone and everyone I meet for the rest of my life to be kept safely in one place, and easily backed up to a (preferably encrypted) cloud just in case I ever lose my device or any particular computer.

3) I have more than one business interest. Therefore, I might send an email to anyone in my contacts from

a) a personal (ex. gmail) address
    b) company x and/or
    c) company y or z, not to mention the possibility of managing more than one email address from any business server, such as an info@ email address.

For this, I need to be able to "grab" any contact in my proprietary database, but then attach it to an email server where I might have access, employment or a partnership interest, but not full ownership of that server.

(Oh and by the way, but for extra credit - if I ever DID decide to participate in any social media madness, I certainly wouldnt want my phone to be looking at, referencing my main private and personal email, but would set up such silliness under an alternate, personal email.)

4) Finally, I would like to do simple, text based searches within my universe of contacts, notes, calendar, to do lists etc - whether people, businesses, past, present or future meetings etc -

For example, ahead of a trip to say, Timbuktu, I want to search for "Timbuktu" and be reminded where I might like to stay, or who I know in that town, whether personally or professionally.

Who have I met there in the past, when was the last time I saw them, what meetings have been booked on the calendar for this trip etc.

Here, I find Outlook, for example, especially awkward and lumbering, where I would have to search in contacts and the calendar separately?

(And I don't have any interest in something like Salesforce either, what with 10,000 user definable fields and other cheesiness that would diminish my confidence going into any serious meeting.)

Despite being a Crackberry forum, I suspect there will be at least one person who might think "Buy a Mac" (assuming Apple contacts might do this and back up to iCloud?) where I have heard that all too much before. Cure cancer? Buy a Mac! World peace? Buy a Mac! Write a bestselling book? Buy a Mac!

I dont want to buy a Mac.

In fact, I already bought one; I hate it and never use it. Same for the iPhone.

So please please please - if anyone can relate, advice on achieving the above in a lean, mean, grown up environment greatly appreciated.

If I can do this with a Passport and cast one more vote for Blackberry, even better.

Thank you and best wishes,

Just trying to get things done in NYC
    12-06-15 02:54 PM
    Just a quick reply since the misses is making clear I should put my phone down and go to sleep

You can manage multiple email addresses.

Using the Assistant, e.g. when I search for a friend Bill, I see his contact information, emails, SMS, appointments so that would be no problem.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 04:06 PM
    Buy a BlackBerry Passport
    bigedschukar likes this.
    12-06-15 04:08 PM
    Sorry! Retracted. Wrong post. ...but get the PP. If messaging is a priority it will fulfill your requirements and then some.
    Last edited by Lusitano17; 12-07-15 at 01:35 AM.
    12-07-15 01:21 AM
    Yes, throw as many email accounts at the Passport as you want. Hub makes it very easy to manage, separate, and take action on emails.

Best system I've ever used for communication. After a month of use you'll realize how great it is.
    12-07-15 12:36 PM
    BlackBerry has the best Email client in the world for emails, searching emails on server, handling multiple accounts etc. No other mobile OS comes close to it when it comes to communication.
    Buy a passport.
    12-07-15 12:42 PM
    I currently have four email accounts on my Passport, nine calendars (including an on-phone-only calendar), contacts from each of those email accounts as well as Twitter, LinkedIn, on-phone contacts, and SIM card contacts.

The phone handles all this with aplomb and has extremely good call quality.

So I say go for it.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 posted via CB10
    12-07-15 12:59 PM
    Passport does everything you stated you need.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Silver Passport!
    12-07-15 02:11 PM
    How did you type all that without a BlackBerry???

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 02:17 PM
    Hello Everyone,

After years of Androids (and no interest in iPhones) I am thinking of returning to Blackberry.

Because the last time I enjoyed using a mobile phone was circa 2004, a Blackberry World. And I love the design of the Passport.

After more than one false start into the curious world of smartphones, I have no interest in Angry Birds, Tinder, or uploading photos of my breakfast to an Apple "ecosystem".....

So I write hoping that someone - anyone here in the Crackberry community might relate to my plight and help outline a solution:

1) I want a smartphone to really only do two things

a) make a decent phone call and
    b) help me get things done quickly,

whether making phone calls quickly, sending emails quickly and if I have to, sending texts quickly.

(There may be other grown up applications that I don't yet realize I can't live without but for now, it could be as simple as that.)

2) Now this is a bit trickier: I consider my contacts (including all business contacts) proprietary to ME.

Meaning whether personal or professional - friend or relatives - restaurants, hotels merchants etc, I would like anyone and everyone I meet for the rest of my life to be kept safely in one place, and easily backed up to a (preferably encrypted) cloud just in case I ever lose my device or any particular computer.

3) I have more than one business interest. Therefore, I might send an email to anyone in my contacts from

a) a personal (ex. gmail) address
    b) company x and/or
    c) company y or z, not to mention the possibility of managing more than one email address from any business server, such as an info@ email address.

For this, I need to be able to "grab" any contact in my proprietary database, but then attach it to an email server where I might have access, employment or a partnership interest, but not full ownership of that server.

(Oh and by the way, but for extra credit - if I ever DID decide to participate in any social media madness, I certainly wouldnt want my phone to be looking at, referencing my main private and personal email, but would set up such silliness under an alternate, personal email.)

4) Finally, I would like to do simple, text based searches within my universe of contacts, notes, calendar, to do lists etc - whether people, businesses, past, present or future meetings etc -

For example, ahead of a trip to say, Timbuktu, I want to search for "Timbuktu" and be reminded where I might like to stay, or who I know in that town, whether personally or professionally.

Who have I met there in the past, when was the last time I saw them, what meetings have been booked on the calendar for this trip etc.

Here, I find Outlook, for example, especially awkward and lumbering, where I would have to search in contacts and the calendar separately?

(And I don't have any interest in something like Salesforce either, what with 10,000 user definable fields and other cheesiness that would diminish my confidence going into any serious meeting.)

Despite being a Crackberry forum, I suspect there will be at least one person who might think "Buy a Mac" (assuming Apple contacts might do this and back up to iCloud?) where I have heard that all too much before. Cure cancer? Buy a Mac! World peace? Buy a Mac! Write a bestselling book? Buy a Mac!

I dont want to buy a Mac.

In fact, I already bought one; I hate it and never use it. Same for the iPhone.

So please please please - if anyone can relate, advice on achieving the above in a lean, mean, grown up environment greatly appreciated.

If I can do this with a Passport and cast one more vote for Blackberry, even better.

Thank you and best wishes,

Just trying to get things done in NYC
    Amazing how everything you need or don't need is perfectly met by Passport/BB10 device. That being said, if you really exist, keep in mind, no apps means no apps. The functionality of Android based apps is declining further everyday.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 02:29 PM