I used to have my OG Passport like half a year ago, and what I remember the most was the silent audio output, did anything change with the silver edition or firmware updates? Because I consider buying the silver one.
    11-09-15 02:52 PM
    I think that was fixed up ages ago in an OS update

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 10:02 PM
    OP, are you referring to the output via speakers or via headphones? The speakers are loud, that was sorted out quite some time ago, but the headphone output and line out are still very quiet, despite activating the audio boost function.

If you use the phone for calls, Bluetooth handsfree and listen occasionally to music or podcasts through the provided earphones, you will have no issues. Calls via speakerphone are amazing.

However, if you're a little bit more pretentious and care about how loud and rich the sound going out the headphone output/line out is, I would say look at something else. I have had a few pairs of studio headphones, with quite low impedance (32-38 ohms) but the Passport struggles to drive them and they seem very quiet. The quality is also questionable, as applying eq settings completely destroys the experience, as opposed to augmenting it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Passport, but I don't use it for music, unless I play it through the speakers. I still hold on to a 9780 that I use as a music player; it's miles ahead of the Passport, both in terms of sound quality and loudness.

Posted via my Black Passport
    11-10-15 03:49 AM
    I do wonder if a lot of Crackberry users are half death, I won't even put my z30 any higher than 85 without breaking my ears

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    11-10-15 04:05 AM
    My OG Passport with the latest firmware updates provides great sound. Neutron player makes the sound even better.
    11-10-15 06:34 AM
    I do wonder if a lot of Crackberry users are half death, I won't even put my z30 any higher than 85 without breaking my ears

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    It depends on the user. I, for one, although it's not recommended, never lower the volume below max. That's the way I like it. But I can't compare the Passport to a Z30 as I never got the chance to try one, perhaps it fares better in the audio department.

11-10-15 07:44 AM
    My OG Passport with the latest firmware updates provides great sound. Neutron player makes the sound even better.
    I tried Neutron and I do agree that it makes the sound better, but it's still limited in volume output, I think it has an anti clip feature that enters automatically and although you can bypass it, the minute it senses the sound is near max volume, it lowers it. That's very annoying.
    Poweramp does fare a little better as it gives you more freedom for configuring things the way you like them, but you can't skip tracks with the volume buttons.
    As long as you're not volume obsessed, like me, the Passport does a good job.

11-10-15 07:50 AM
    I found with Neutron,whether I am using an external amp or not, I have the hardware gain all the way up and use the preamp level for volume adjustment. Sounds nice that way,for me, plus if I add bass in the eq it is less likely to digitally overload and distort. When out and about I might lapse into using hardware gain so I can adjust volume from my pocket.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 04:53 AM
    The line out is indeed lower compared to other BlackBerry devices. I used my Playbook in my 22 year old car with a cassette adapter and the audio was clear and full. I have a sub-woofer in there and the Playbook made it work. When I moved my library to my Passport and plugged it into the car I immediately noticed the lack of movement from the sub-woofer. The EQ settings had no effect in the speakers. Headphones sound ok for short hops on the bus, but this device is not for critical listeners.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 11:16 AM
    Match it with proper impedence earbuds or headphones and it sounds very good, especially with Nuetron, which has additional preamp gain functions when equalized. I think some try to use high impedence home/ studio type headphones and no smartphone is not going to drive them properly without an external headphone amp.
    I use Ultimate Ears Pro buds and the sound is excellent.
    12-23-15 01:49 PM
    With my iem's I need to keep the volume low or will blast my ears. Using my full size Fostex t50rp,I use a headphone amp, which converts the signal to line.

I have only had this phone a few weeks and it could be my imagination, but I noticed with the latest leak(2876 from 2474,2813) the volume seems louder in Neutron. Before, I could have the software preamp at -30db and not hear anything. Now there is sound heard when playing music. This is with hardware gain(side volume keys) set full.

Anyone else notice a similar effect after upgrading? Perhaps it was a replay gain setting in the menu that changed from re installing Neutron.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by VanWaylon; 12-23-15 at 06:30 PM.
    12-23-15 01:50 PM