We like very much to give PP a chance to be our next device / personal assistant.
    Up to now just normal mobile phones or features phones in possession and use.
    The PP could be our first smartphone because fed up with Android.
    The Mac is first and will be last product from Apple house in our environments - just fed up with their's
    bad service quality and low software quality.

Been always convinced the number of available apps is the low priority question.
    Vast number of the stuff to be found in Googles or Apple apps markets does not practically show any value.
    However while examining PP as candidate we realize it is indeed significant.

One small example:
    The app of our shared cars provider is not available neither in BB apps market nor in Amazon.
    We won't accept not to be able communicate with our shared cars provider using the personal assistant (PP here).
    The way to this seems currently to be cumbersome - some time and work intensive hacking with apk files.
    Even if we manage to get that app working on PP the next same obstacle seems to come soon after that
    - we do not need nor use plenty of apps, however those used are really needed - not possible to give up using those.
    How is the perspective in our situation?
    11-12-14 03:42 PM
    OH SNAP! SNAP!

Snap is a proxy app that allows you to log into your Google Play account and download your apps from there. Provided your app does not rely on Google Play services, your problem is solved.

As for hacks and apks... All I can think of if the patcher. That is a 30 seconds procedure I believe.
    11-12-14 03:57 PM
    How does it look regarding system and app stability and reliability of apps installed this way?
    11-12-14 04:00 PM
    What particular app is that? I've installed many ap thru SNAP including Waze. And it works fine. So far if the app uses Google services such as in app purchases then that won't work.

If the app written is not to dependent on Google services then it will work well. The Android app downloaded from SNAP can even utilize location services, camera, Internet, bluetooth, notification will also work.

In order for us to give you actual feedback if your app works you need to tell us what that app is.

Goodluck if you do decide to buy a passport.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 04:14 PM
    In order for us to give you actual feedback if your app works you need to tell us what that app is.
    I am not sure how much will does it help. As mentioned previously just an example was given.
    In middle and long terms more such cases can be encountered.
    Proceeding in the case-by-case manner will not enable sufficient extent of productivity.
    11-13-14 03:07 AM
    [...]Up to now just normal mobile phones or features phones in possession and use. The PP could be our first smartphone because fed up with Android.[...]
    Am I the only one seeing this as self-contradictory? How can you be fed up with Android if you never used a smartphone before?
    11-13-14 03:25 AM
    just, if you have at least one BB10 phone - try it with snap. see how it works out.

secondly - what are the most common tasks your people have to do?
    if they spend 90% of time on emails and 10% on some apps, - you know - BB10 email experience is second to none.
    in that case you need to check the app situation.
    majority of google play store apps are available on 1mobile as well. so it should be fine anyhow.

but noone will be able to tell you what's going to happen in the future...
    i.e. some of android devices (native android devices) are not compatible with some android apps (because of - well, age, features, etc) while those apps run fine on BB10...
    11-13-14 03:31 AM
    It is nor was not the slightest aim to expect here help regarding the situation in the feature - this me can guarantee now,
    though was not able to give this guarantee on opening this thread because your complain surpasses all my anticipations till now.
    You are right there might be reasons of some other nature decreasing the chance for success, for example the unique display aspect
    of PP. Which Android app will support it? None!

I will try to look at snap. However, I can be work intensive. So not sure if I really complete this step.
    It is hard to say for me, we get even more sceptic because the time on investigation the more contra points for PP.

The aim is to take from the shelf, to pay, to use and enjoy.
    All essential questions are to be clarified by the vendor. If it is not able to do so it's its own fault.

I will try to get answer by contacting BB support.

@serbanescu
    You are right, it sounds self-contradictory. Find the explanation below please.
    Experience was gained on using some Android tablet. It's job/duty is to be our mini PC while on our travels.
    Thus no day-by-day usage, not the function of personal digital assistant at all. Not a smartphone.
    No native voice call functionality. Quite different class of device and usage type.
    Anyhow the experience gained in such narrow use situations is enough to say "no more Android".
    Last edited by Mee Kiu; 11-17-14 at 12:08 PM.
    11-16-14 02:49 PM
    Same argument was always posted on WP forums. They do not believe apps are important. They are. Apps are what extend the usefullness of a smartphone. We are continuously using our phone for more and more tasks BB needs to find an incentive to get app makers on board. I am not a developer, so I have no idea what incentives exist for app developers, but besides the hundreds of millions of users on ios, and android, BB needs to come up with a way to incentivise developers to get started. WP is only a few tens of thousand apps ahead of BB and not making any progress on ios or android either.
    11-16-14 02:59 PM
    Same argument was always posted on WP forums. They do not believe apps are important. They are. Apps are what extend the usefullness of a smartphone. We are continuously using our phone for more and more tasks BB needs to find an incentive to get app makers on board. I am not a developer, so I have no idea what incentives exist for app developers, but besides the hundreds of millions of users on ios, and android, BB needs to come up with a way to incentivise developers to get started. WP is only a few tens of thousand apps ahead of BB and not making any progress on ios or android either.
    I agree with you: apps are quite important. Not only do they extend functionality via software, they let the phone interface with more and more physical accessories.

I do think BlackBerry made a good faith effort to get developers onboard. We can debate the efficacy with hindsight, but I do believe it didn't ignore the need to spur development via cash payouts.
    11-16-14 04:54 PM
    I hope they can do more to make snap an officially licensed app or sonething. If snap can do it and BB uses amazon app store to get android apps on the PP why can't they get the entire play store on there? Probably has to do with licensing or some such.
    11-16-14 05:48 PM
    ..They do not believe apps are important. They are...
    Therefore it is essential to check the overall situation yet before deciding if to buy or not as we aim this.
    11-17-14 12:10 PM
    Therefore it is essential to check the overall situation yet before deciding if to buy or not as we aim this.
    Agreed.
    11-17-14 01:26 PM
    I agree. I wish some blogger would go through all developers and find out which android apps will work with snap
    11-17-14 04:31 PM