So I was wondering why we have so many apps in this day and age when a smartphone like a Blackberry Passport has enough memory to navigate its way around the web fairly well. So I tried a few cites like CNN, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. Well, when I navigate to them, log in where required and bookmark the page to my home screen....presto, I get an official looking Icon that takes me to the right page and away I go. Looks like my Banks work that way too. Okay, so WhatsApp and BBM are more sophisticated tools and you need an app. Otherwise, it seems to work. Am I missing something?
    03-27-16 06:26 AM
    People like hub notifications and sharing abilities between apps. A deeper integration with the OS.

There are some things only apps are secure enough for - like mobile banking deposits.

Not to mention the countless apps that do not have mobile website equivalents.
    03-27-16 06:34 AM
    I wonder if notifications work without the app, just the bookmark. I may try that. On the banking issue, it seems like when I log in via the web all of the functionality is there and it looks....the same. Weird. I'm sure that the bank is not making this more vulnerable than the app, but I wouldn't know. In looking at how the bookmarked site looks and feels ...its the same; from what I can tell.
    03-27-16 06:50 AM
    I wonder if notifications work without the app, just the bookmark. I may try that. On the banking issue, it seems like when I log in via the web all of the functionality is there and it looks....the same. Weird. I'm sure that the bank is not making this more vulnerable than the app, but I wouldn't know. In looking at how the bookmarked site looks and feels ...its the same; from what I can tell.
    You get "notifications in the hub" for some apps if you turn on email notifications. It works great for Facebook. When I click inside of the email it opens up to the spot in a Web page. Not all apps do email notification.

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876 
    03-27-16 08:42 AM