So, please help me understand.
    Whats the deal with apps for the new Passport?
    Will all my apps from my Z30 work on the Passport, but perhaps with some "black lines, or bars"?
    Or are some apps just not going to work?
    When I look on BlacBerry World, I checked a few apps out, it doesn't
    say "compatible with...." so I would assume that the apps work on all Blackberry phones. (just quickly checked, I may be wrong...)
    Realistically, down the road, will most apps work, even if just to some degree?
    07-31-14 06:57 AM
    This is the question I need answered as well. Besides rumors of the device being able to run 16:9 apps, possibly letter boxed - we've yet to see it.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 07:29 AM
    So, please help me understand.
    Whats the deal with apps for the new Passport?
    Will all my apps from my Z30 work on the Passport, but perhaps with some "black lines, or bars"?
    Or are some apps just not going to work?
    When I look on BlacBerry World, I checked a few apps out, it doesn't
    say "compatible with...." so I would assume that the apps work on all Blackberry phones. (just quickly checked, I may be wrong...)
    Realistically, down the road, will most apps work, even if just to some degree?
    Depends how the developers write their apps. Some apps is resolution independent and rely on Os to handle it on device while some is not like my app. The font, height, width scale all is fix dependent and will possible have some issues with passport weird resolutions.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    07-31-14 07:34 AM
    Depends how the developers write their apps. Some apps is resolution independent and rely on Os to handle it on device while some is not like my app. The font, height, width scale all is fix dependent and will possible have some issues with passport weird resolutions.

BB World team just sent us developers an email saying by default Passport will be added as a compatible device to all our Q10 apps. You can see on app world, if the app supports Q10 it will automatically support Passport. I use auto-scaling so my app works no matter what the screen resolution

Dev of AutoCrop Scanner
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-31-14 08:08 AM
    Only Q10 apps and those apps that are resolution independent will work on the Passport. There is no letter boxing. Same applies to Android apps. Those Android apps that had a problem on the Q10 continue to have a problem on the Passport (for example, Instagram). This also means that a large portion of games and a number of apps from the Amazon app world will not work on the Passport. I find this bizarre because Amazon apps store is being marketed with Blackberry 10 now, yet the compatibility is not universal.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-31-14 08:37 AM
    BB World team just sent us developers an email saying by default Passport will be added as a compatible device to all our Q10 apps. You can see on app world, if the app supports Q10 it will automatically support Passport. I use auto-scaling so my app works no matter what the screen resolution

Dev of AutoCrop Scanner
    Yeah, I also received one but the resolution will still different and passport have most ppi then q10 so my app font will definitely look smaller not to mention the layout will also affected. Since I use QtQuick, i use pixel to define the anchor margin and the font. I will leave out passport. Too much hassle to create another version just for passport which unlikely to purchase my anyway.

07-31-14 11:22 AM
    When you do a restore from a Z10 or Z30 to a Q10/Q5 or even the passport I assume.

Whatever apps you have installed be it for 16:9 phones only will be carried on to the other device.

This is how I managed to install BlackBerry newsstand.

Differentiate or Die
    07-31-14 07:28 PM
    By looking through BlackBerry World, how can I tell if the app is compatible with the Q, or the Passport??

Z30 user and lover.
    07-31-14 07:37 PM
    By looking through BlackBerry World, how can I tell if the app is compatible with the Q, or the Passport??

Z30 user and lover.
    When you look at BBWorld through a PC browser, you can see the devices each app supports right above that app's review

Dev of AutoCrop Scanner
    08-01-14 01:08 AM
    Passport compatibility is not published online yet

Dev of AutoCrop Scanner
    08-01-14 01:09 AM
    Aside from this, i'm curious to know how they will handle the Amazon store apps. Will EVERY app in the app store be available to download? What about the ones that rely on google services, that won't run on BB10? Don't get me wrong, i'm extremely happy about this, but the average consumer (or enterprise user) will probably get pretty annoyed if half of the time they get an error when trying to run an android app and end up having to uninstall it.

I know this has been brought up before, but I also think there has to be a way to search in one place for all apps. If i'm looking for Instagram, for instance, I don't think it makes sense having to go to Blackberry World first, to check, and then going to the Amazon store. I'm sure there will be a 3rd party solution for this pretty quickly, but this should be something implemented right into the phone.
    08-01-14 01:06 PM
    No apps on Amazon use Google services.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 01:08 PM
    When you look at BBWorld through a PC browser, you can see the devices each app supports right above that app's review

Dev of AutoCrop Scanner
    Thank you! I was only looking thru my phone.
    A quick look shows all my favorite apps compatible with Q10 so I am thinking I should be good!!

Z30 user and lover.
    08-01-14 01:10 PM
    No apps on Amazon use Google services.

Posted via CB10
    Really? Isn't the Fire OS a version of Android though?
    08-01-14 01:13 PM
    A forked version. Forked versions don't have access to Google's good stuff.
    08-01-14 01:19 PM
    I think you are confusing Google's OS versus Googles Services.
    Samsung has their own fork as well that does not use Googles Services.

08-01-14 01:51 PM
    I think you are confusing Google's OS versus Googles Services.
    Samsung has their own fork as well that does not use Googles Services.
    First part of your post is true. Second is not. Samsung only skins their UI but they still use core Android.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-01-14 08:53 PM
    Kindle cannot use google services, BlackBerry android sdk can not use google services. Some cheap Chinese android phones cant use google services. Forks or no forks - what I understand is it's down to whether Google approve the device for use with Google services. Android being based on linux which is free to distribute but cannot be resold for profit.
    Google services is about making Android devices dependent on something Google own outright.
    08-02-14 04:02 PM
    Kindle cannot use google services, BlackBerry android sdk can not use google services. Some cheap Chinese android phones cant use google services. Forks or no forks - what I understand is it's down to whether Google approve the device for use with Google services. Android being based on linux which is free to distribute but cannot be resold for profit.
    Google services is about making Android devices dependent on something Google own outright.
    Using Linux doesn't mean Google have to open source it. The Os is proprietary. A lot of Os using Linux but not operate source example Ubuntu, Tizen, meego harmattan, sailfish.

08-03-14 07:01 AM