I am active duty USAF and stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I've been here for over 3 years so i'm well aware of how ridiculous phone service/companies in Japan are compared to the U.S....I wont go into detail but I will finally be moving back to the land of the free in a few months so I went ahead and ordered an unlocked Blackberry Passport. Don't have it yet, hopefully within the upcoming week. I've asked around at 2 of 3 phone compaines here, AU (KDDI) and Softbank. From all the info I have found through blogs/forums/etc...it seems like Docomo/NTT is the way to go and I should be able to get a prepaid SIM card from them for the next few months that I am here before going back to the States. I haven't had a chance to actually go talk to them. AU said there is definitely no way they can help. Softbank told me they can't give me any definite answer without bringing the phone in and actually trying it.

Sooo just curious if anyone has recently been using an unlocked Passport in Japan (recent like this year 2015) and if so who and what is your set up with them (prepaid, contract, etc...)

Thanks yall!
    05-23-15 01:36 AM
    I am active duty USAF and stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I've been here for over 3 years so i'm well aware of how ridiculous phone service/companies in Japan are compared to the U.S....I wont go into detail but I will finally be moving back to the land of the free in a few months so I went ahead and ordered an unlocked Blackberry Passport. Don't have it yet, hopefully within the upcoming week. I've asked around at 2 of 3 phone compaines here, AU (KDDI) and Softbank. From all the info I have found through blogs/forums/etc...it seems like Docomo/NTT is the way to go and I should be able to get a prepaid SIM card from them for the next few months that I am here before going back to the States. I haven't had a chance to actually go talk to them. AU said there is definitely no way they can help. Softbank told me they can't give me any definite answer without bringing the phone in and actually trying it.

Sooo just curious if anyone has recently been using an unlocked Passport in Japan (recent like this year 2015) and if so who and what is your set up with them (prepaid, contract, etc...)

Thanks yall!
    Do you know the model number of the phone? You need to see if the phone can receive the signal they broadcast. Link
    05-24-15 07:27 PM
    OP, yes an unlocked BlackBerry Passport can be used in Japan. I know the SIM card from OCN Mobile One (Docomo) works and delivers 4G connectivity. Call quality is good too, actually better than with Softbank.
    Cheers

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    05-24-15 10:47 PM