Hey everyone,

Just as the title says, I know more than a few of us are interested if anyone who has an ATT Passport was successfully able to get the device to work on T-Mobile's network. I know the ATT PP was supposed to be locked to the carrier, but I'm sure someone out there bought it outright or has tried to unlock it or pop in a T-Mobile sim. Help all the T-Mobile users out there and let us know if it works!
    02-24-15 04:13 PM
    I don't think anyone has, but in case you get an affirmative...subscribing.

One person has tried asking AT&T for an unlock code, but he was told to wait 60 days.
    02-24-15 04:18 PM
    I heard the same thing however when you look at the rules it looks as though it might be possible to bypass the 60 days. Should be interesting to see people's results!
    02-24-15 05:02 PM
    Exactly. The guy had actually paid full price for the phone. I pointed that out to him--that the 60 day limitation shouldn't apply to him, and neither should the other rules, but I don't know if he went through with it.

I'm just interested in whether or not the AWS (UMTS 1700) band is in the phone. A screenshot from an AT&T Passport's About>General screen doesn't show UMTS 1700, but that could be the AT&T SIM masking it. Every piece of documentation (outside of AT&T) I've seen says UMTS 1700 is there.
    02-24-15 05:22 PM
    Yea I'm pretty sure I read that the bands are there as well.
    02-24-15 05:33 PM
    I want the AT&T version but I am in Canada, Free your Cellphone has said they can unlock it for me but I need to get my hands on one. I tried to buy one online but I don't have a US credit card and I have to get a plan which apparently I can cancel right away. Can I walk into the AT&T store and just buy one? Without any hassle? I live close to the border so it is easy enough for me to drive to a store. Anyone have any thoughts and/or concerns?
    02-24-15 06:06 PM
    I want the AT&T version but I am in Canada, Free your Cellphone has said they can unlock it for me but I need to get my hands on one. I tried to buy one online but I don't have a US credit card and I have to get a plan which apparently I can cancel right away. Can I walk into the AT&T store and just buy one? Without any hassle? I live close to the border so it is easy enough for me to drive to a store. Anyone have any thoughts and/or concerns?
    I've heard ATT is one of the few carriers out there that gives you a hard time about buying the phone without a contract. I've heard you will have to sign up for service or at least prepaid and then cancel. Maybe someone can confirm this?
    02-24-15 06:19 PM
    I know when I talked with the AT&T rep online she said I had to pick a plan but once I got the phone I could call a 1-800 and cancel the plan. If i bought the phone out right of course. I was going to attempt it but the problem is my credit card is Canadian which the website wont take. So I am stuck waiting for someone to post theirs on eBay or something. I dont want to drive to a store to find out they are a major hassle as well.
    02-25-15 09:51 AM
    Exactly. The guy had actually paid full price for the phone. I pointed that out to him--that the 60 day limitation shouldn't apply to him, and neither should the other rules, but I don't know if he went through with it.

I'm just interested in whether or not the AWS (UMTS 1700) band is in the phone. A screenshot from an AT&T Passport's About>General screen doesn't show UMTS 1700, but that could be the AT&T SIM masking it. Every piece of documentation (outside of AT&T) I've seen says UMTS 1700 is there.
    See that makes no sense to me. If your going to pay full price for the phone from the outset then why not just get it unlocked from amazon or shop BlackBerry?? It would save you the frustration of dealing with the carrier. Unless of course you just wanted the rounded corners...

Posted via CB10
    anon5989741 and mister2d like this.
    02-25-15 10:42 AM
    See that makes no sense to me. If your going to pay full price for the phone from the outset then why not just get it unlocked from amazon or shop BlackBerry?? It would save you the frustration of dealing with the carrier. Unless of course you just wanted the rounded corners...
    Good question. I can't speak for that person, but rounded corners could be one possible reason, wireless charging another, and perhaps more importantly (to me, at least,) I've read in posts that the -3 is designed in such a way that the screen lifting problem would be much more unlikely. Plus some people just overall prefer the look of the -3.

Let's not even talk about the abomination that is ShopBB and just look at Amazon. Is technical troubleshooting better at the carriers, maybe? I don't know. Frustration would be higher too at the carrier, if the ultimate solution is to do a warranty replacement.
    02-25-15 02:22 PM
    Hey vvildstar,

Just sent unlock codes to some customers today for their AT&T passports.

Will ask them to test after unlocking if they have t-mo sims
    Hey everyone,

Just as the title says, I know more than a few of us are interested if anyone who has an ATT Passport was successfully able to get the device to work on T-Mobile's network. I know the ATT PP was supposed to be locked to the carrier, but I'm sure someone out there bought it outright or has tried to unlock it or pop in a T-Mobile sim. Help all the T-Mobile users out there and let us know if it works!
    Last edited by BlackberryCodeSource; 03-07-15 at 05:02 AM.
    raino likes this.
    02-25-15 07:07 PM
    Hey vvildstar,

Just sent unlock codes to some customers today for their AT&T passports.

Will ask them to test after unlocking if they have tom sims
    Are these people on CB, by any chance?
    02-25-15 07:26 PM
    sent out an email to 2 of them now,

will see, I think one is a CB member. Hopefully he can confirm
    raino likes this.
    02-25-15 07:29 PM
    Ya I just got my att passport unlocked by Sean @blackberrycodesource I don't have a T-moble ‎sim card, but I might look and see if I can pick up a pre pay if they make them can any one confirm if T- Moble has those and and where I can pick one up? If not I will ask around at work and see if any one has T-moble. I will keep ya'll posted on how it goes.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    02-25-15 07:45 PM
    Ya I just got my att passport unlocked by Sean @blackberrycodesource I don't have a T-moble ‎sim card, but I might look and see if I can pick up a pre pay if they make them can any one confirm if T- Moble has those and and where I can pick one up? If not I will ask around at work and see if any one has T-moble. I will keep ya'll posted on how it goes.
    They sell them for $10-15 plus the cost of service, so please, don't go out of your way to try one.

Maybe if you go to a store, they'd just let you try out a SIM card if you show them your Passport. This phone kinda has that effect on people
    02-25-15 07:54 PM
    Ya that is a good Idea I think there are couple around here in ATL I see if I can get by one this weekend.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 08:20 PM

Is this what you are looking for?

Att passport with tmo sim.
    Anyone try the ATT PP on T-Mobile-img_20150225_212812_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    02-25-15 08:29 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150225_212812_edit.png 
Views:	1144 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	336982

Posted via CB10
    Wait...that's your unlocked AT&T Passport with a TMO SIM?
    02-25-15 08:37 PM
    sent out an email to 2 of them now,

will see, I think one is a CB member. Hopefully he can confirm
    What is a good source for an unlock code for my BlackBerry passport? It's locked to TELUS Canada and I want to buy the code to unlock it? Thanks

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    02-25-15 08:37 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150225_212812_edit.png 
Views:	1144 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	336982

Posted via CB10
    What?! Get the freak out! We can use T-Mobile SIM card on it!. I probably will get it by september cause the peirce will be way down by that time.

Via BlackBerry Classic OS 10.3.1.1581 on Blazing Fast T-Mobile 4GLTE.
    02-25-15 08:42 PM
    Wait...that's your unlocked AT&T Passport with a TMO SIM?
    Yeah... Something wrong?

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 08:42 PM
    Yeah... Something wrong?
    Oh no...it's just that I was expecting to see something a little different, that's kinda critical for use on TMO. Regardless, thanks for your time and posting this.
    Last edited by raino; 02-25-15 at 09:14 PM. Reason: ***** raino, *****
    02-25-15 08:46 PM
    Oh no...it's just that I was expecting to see something a little different, that's kinda critical for use on TMO. Regardless, thanks for your time and posting this.
    Care to share what you were expecting? I have no issues on tmobile.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 08:56 PM
    Care to share what you were expecting? I have no issues on tmobile.
    You know what? I'm an *****.

What I was expecting to see is indeed there. I was expecting to see the UMTS 1700 (band 4) in there--and it's clearly there. When you have an AT&T SIM in the phone, band 4 disappears from that list (as does UMTS 900, oddly enough.) Here is the comparison screenshot with an AT&T SIM:
    igotaq and thedose like this.
    02-25-15 09:14 PM
    Good question. I can't speak for that person, but rounded corners could be one possible reason, wireless charging another, and perhaps more importantly (to me, at least,) I've read in posts that the -3 is designed in such a way that the screen lifting problem would be much more unlikely. Plus some people just overall prefer the look of the -3.

Let's not even talk about the abomination that is ShopBB and just look at Amazon. Is technical troubleshooting better at the carriers, maybe? I don't know. Frustration would be higher too at the carrier, if the ultimate solution is to do a warranty replacement.
    While I do believe the differences between the two is subtle, I do think that people would like to know if the changes made on the ATT PP is a viable option on another carrier. I am torn between the squared PP and rounded PP, only having had the opportunity to see the rounded ATT version in person (hint anyone that lives in south NJ or Philly with a OG PP let me know if you would be willing to let me see it!). Knowing that the redesign may have fixed an issue with the screen and improve the device's ergonomics is only icing on the cake.
    02-25-15 09:53 PM
56 123