Heya everyone,

I'm going to get a Passport early september. I can renew my contract (I did the math and it would save me 50 euro's in 2 years..) and get a Passport! I Was wondering, I read a lot of reviews and such about people saying the keyboard is awkward, how many of you guys are used to it by now? Is it that hard to get used to it, and does anyone prefer the Passport keyboard over the 'traditional' Blackberry keyboard?

I like the Passport design and everything, yet, in the store it's hard to type because the alarm is attached to it and it makes it difficult to hold. I like the Classic with the traditional menu keys and all, but I'd rather take a flagship model especially if the battery is that much bigger..

Anyone who can give me some insight?
    08-30-15 05:32 AM
    I have been using the Passport for 9 months now and find it better for the type of messages I do, which is mainly corporate email. I used the Q10 before and now it's my second phone which I use just for personal calls.

So I am loving the Passport, I'll look at the slider if it comes with BB10 but I note it has the old standard type keyboard which is a negative for me.

Passport running on 10.3.2. 2639/ 2940 radio
    08-30-15 07:18 AM
    I had my Passport for a month now and absolutely love typing on the key board. It took me less then a day get used to the keyboard. I just love the feel typing on a BlackBerry kb once again. You will love the Passport and the battery life is great. I totally recommend this device...

Posted via my incredible Passport
    08-30-15 07:20 AM
    Still taking my time to get used to the keyboard. All is well

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 07:52 AM
    There is a learning curve with the PP keyboard but once I got used to it I LOVED it. I've had my PP since launch last fall and can't imagine being without it.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    08-30-15 08:14 AM
    I went from curve to torch to bold to z10 to z30 to passport SE and had no learning curve. This keyboard is fantastIc.

Posted via CB10
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    08-30-15 08:29 AM
    Once you're used to it, you're used to it. Same as anything. I used to type better on my Q5, now I prefer the Passport. I'm sure if I used the Q5 exclusively for a month, I'd prefer that again too.

I will say, I enjoy the large keys on the Passport. The extra space means I hit the wrong key far less often.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 10:29 AM
    You will get used to it. I too like the passport design and fast processor over any other bb. It k
    Takes some getting used to it and althouth i preffer the 4 row functionality i like the clean three row look.
    08-30-15 11:17 AM
    I still use my 9900 bold as an alarm clock and for twitter... but the passport keyboard is way nicer... I've had the passport for 6 months... no regrets.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 11:24 AM
    I very much disliked the keyboard on the q10. It felt so small and difficult to use without hitting two keys at once. The classic improved upon this but I still get a cramped feeling when using it because my thumbs will often touch each other while typing. I love the pasport keyboard and prefer it to using any other input method I have tried including the BlackBerry virtual keyboard, many 3rd party android and ios keyboards, and the stock keyboards for ios, android and windows phone. This goes for all versions of the passport with the latest iteration (the silver edition) being my preference. I haven't ever used any other physical keyboard devices.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    08-30-15 11:26 AM
    I had blackberry silver and the keyboard is great..

Loving my BlackBerry once again.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 11:27 AM
    It take a while to get used to and IMO PP users are a tad bit slower because you have to stop and touch the screen for punctuation (minus the double space for a period which is awesome). It's nothing you can't get used to and you should be able to fly through messages with no problem. Don't let that discourage you from getting a PP. All the positives of the phone outweigh the "negatives".

Post via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    08-30-15 11:30 AM
    Passport is crucial for my business as a translator, and of late I've been spending quite a mot of time on the road, with regards to several client events, so the presence of a mobile device such as Passport becomes even more critical, as I don't need to carry my laptop around too often.

With this being said, I'm sure it's only obvious how important the typing factor is. Passport is great, no double typing nor physical defect whatsoever with the daily abuse, but for the last seven months since I bought it, the keyboard is not getting any softer. I have to admit that my thumbs and fingers got cramps with long typing. Now, I heard that the Passport SE is specifically much softer and easier to type. This has got me so curious as hell. I will sell my OG Passport and get it. It'll take a bit of time, but I'll get it.

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 on Telkomsel Network
    08-30-15 12:43 PM
    The passport has the best keyboard ever on a mobile device.
    It takes a little time to get used to, but it's great once you get used to it.
    Not to mention the touch enabled options you get, like swipe to delete, swipe to bring up symbols and control the cursor when editing text.

The only flaw of the passport: it doesn't have those two little 'dimples' which help you know which key your finger is on when you aren't looking.
    I feel that because of this, it takes a bit longer to adapt to it, but eventually you will.
    08-30-15 12:47 PM
    It take a while to get used to and IMO PP users are a tad bit slower because you have to stop and touch the screen for punctuation (minus the double space for a period which is awesome). It's nothing you can't get used to and you should be able to fly through messages with no problem. Don't let that discourage you from getting a PP. All the positives of the phone outweigh the "negatives".

Post via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    Not sure how touching the row above it requires one to stop. Additionally, if you get really good at it, you don't even have to touch the screen for most other symbols. All you have to do is swipe down once and then hit the physical key that corresponds to the symbol displayed on the virtual keyboard extension. In a way, it's easier than the regular keyboard because (1) you don't have to hit a specific alt key (you just swipe down anywhere on the physical keys), and (2) you don't have to lift your finger to see which tiny little symbol is printed on that key. Additionally the swipe to delete beats having to press the delete button.

So, really the only downside is potentially the lower keyboard, lack of tool belt keys and overall larger size.

I think most people that don't end up getting the Passport do it because of its overall size.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 12:51 PM
    Not sure how touching the row above it requires one to stop. Additionally, if you get really good at it, you don't even have to touch the screen for most other symbols. All you have to do is swipe down once and then hit the physical key that corresponds to the symbol displayed on the virtual keyboard extension. In a way, it's easier than the regular keyboard because (1) you don't have to hit a specific alt key (you just swipe down anywhere on the physical keys), and (2) you don't have to lift your finger to see which tiny little symbol is printed on that key. Additionally the swipe to delete beats having to press the delete button.

So, really the only downside is potentially the lower keyboard, lack of tool belt keys and overall larger size.

I think most people that don't end up getting the Passport do it because of its overall size.

Posted via CB10
    The point of my post was that the keyboard does take some getting used to especially in the beginning.

You definitely taught me something about the swipe down on the keyboard while typing. Didn't even know that. Thanks.

08-30-15 12:57 PM
    Go ahead with the passport, you will not regret it!
    It took me a couple of days to get used of it and about two weeks to write as fast as before.
    The keyboard has two great advantages :
    - it's wider than all the others, PKB or VKB, so it's much more comfortable to type on it.
    - it's touch sensitive so can flip and select very fast the predictive words shown on the touch screen.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    08-30-15 07:04 PM
    I like the size of it but it almost feels a little rounded to me. I wish it seemed flatter. Unless its my OCD LOL
    08-31-15 07:32 AM
    I agree with everyone else. After a day, you will be used to it. The only issue I had was on text messages to other cell phones, people that didn't have BBM anymore, was I would accidentally hit the "send" or "enter" key by mistake and send message before completing it. Other than that, it's a great keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 11:19 AM
    I agree with everyone else. After a day, you will be used to it. The only issue I had was on text messages to other cell phones, people that didn't have BBM anymore, was I would accidentally hit the "send" or "enter" key by mistake and send message before completing it. Other than that, it's a great keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    You can fix this through the hub settings by not activating the '' use enter key to send''

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    newcollector likes this.
    08-31-15 05:44 PM
    You will get used to it, but no question that it's faster with the menu/punctuation/number keys available on the oldschool keyboard...
    08-31-15 05:53 PM
    And would the Silver edition be considered an upgrade over the earlier ones? This being the Silver version is slightly taller..
    09-02-15 04:45 AM
    I prefer the hybrid keyboard. It is just sooo much nicer and intuitive.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 05:14 AM
    Didn't even take me a day to get used to, now I love it. Not even sure that I could go back. Had a little learning curve on my swipe up technique, so that I wouldn't hit the virtual row, but I'm sorted now.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 05:44 AM
    Heya everyone,

I'm going to get a Passport early september. I can renew my contract (I did the math and it would save me 50 euro's in 2 years..) and get a Passport! I Was wondering, I read a lot of reviews and such about people saying the keyboard is awkward, how many of you guys are used to it by now? Is it that hard to get used to it, and does anyone prefer the Passport keyboard over the 'traditional' Blackberry keyboard?

I like the Passport design and everything, yet, in the store it's hard to type because the alarm is attached to it and it makes it difficult to hold. I like the Classic with the traditional menu keys and all, but I'd rather take a flagship model especially if the battery is that much bigger..

Anyone who can give me some insight?
    Try the SE. The Passport OG is good. The SE is awsome. Great keyboard for two thumb typing.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 05:49 AM
40 12