The big, square screen of the Passport has many advantages, but apparently one disadvantage is that there is no elongated landscape mode for watching movies/tv shows/video clips, so apparently whenever one does, the top and bottom of the square screen is blacked off and one ends up watching a much smaller video, similar to how my old square TV does the same thing with today's newer HD programming. I will be getting the Passport primarily for battery life and its practical/business oriented uses, but it would still be nice to not be frustrated if on occasion I want to use it for other reasons.

I am wondering if anyone has used their Passport yet for watching movies and such, if they noticed this issue, and their thoughts on it, pro or con? Thanks.
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    10-24-14 05:33 PM
    The size the video appears on the screen is about the same size as the iPhone 4 screen, and nobody complained about the screen size then. I don't think it's an issue at all. I don't use my BlackBerry to watch movies, I use my computer or tablet.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 05:35 PM
    Yes it's annoying

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-24-14 05:36 PM
    I watch YouTube videos on my PP and I love it. I don't have to turn / rotate my phone anymore. The screen is so nice

Using Passport and Z10
    10-24-14 05:41 PM
    Upgrading from my Q10's small screen to the large screen Passport, I don't mind vids on the PP, such as youtube vids, etc., but I do usually prefer my tablet or laptop for watching movies and tv shows.
    10-24-14 05:44 PM
    The size the video appears on the screen is about the same size as the iPhone 4 screen, and nobody complained about the screen size then. I don't think it's an issue at all. I don't use my BlackBerry to watch movies, I use my computer or tablet.

Posted via CB10
    I believe it is slightly smaller than iPhone 4 landscape screen size. No?

I haven't the PP yet so I can't say what I think if screen size yet.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 05:58 PM
    Any one used the miracast feature on the passport? I know that the roku stick I have at home has it and I can use my z30 but I wonder if it changes the resolution to something more practical like landscape when in that mode or in hdmi

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 06:03 PM
    Why are people moaning about the way videos are played on the Passport??? Did you not see any videos of the Passport before buying it??

Personally I don't watch videos on my Passport and if do then it's very rare. It doesn't bother me with the black bars when it plays videos.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 06:05 PM
    I believe it is slightly smaller than iPhone 4 landscape screen size. No?
    Slightly larger. It's between the iPhone 4 and 5 in size.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    southlander and Jeffm63 like this.
    10-24-14 06:13 PM
    Hi,
    It was definitely not a factor for me when I got the PP, however, was curious to see it in action since some people raised the issue.

I personally don't care/nor need/nor want a phone that excels in watching movies, tv and gaming... just has to be able to do it of course.

Never understood how some people place so much importance to that aspect of a phone, but it makes perfect sense for many others.

I watch the odd youtube clip, vid link, etc. Pretty good (for me).

No Issue for me
    vibhorsingh86 likes this.
    10-24-14 06:14 PM
    No issue here. It's slightly smaller than my Z10 and iPhone 5. Much larger than my ex daily driver Q10! Love it to death! If I need size I use my PlayBook or laptop.

Todd

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 06:45 PM
    When trying to fit a 16:9 formatted image onto a 4:3 or in this case, 1:1, you only have a few options to make it fit without affecting the perspective. You can cut off the ends to make it fit the narrower width or you can show the image end to end which results in the black bars. To show the full width image, but enlarging to fill the black bars would result in a distorted image that would look like a fun-house mirror.

For my watching, I prefer to see the whole image and I usually forget about the bars after a little while.
    10-24-14 06:47 PM
    No, not at all. I can barely tell a difference from my Z10. If it was though, I would just hook it up to my TV to watch whatever I wanted.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 06:52 PM
    Yea it kinda sucks. But I'll hook it up to my tv if i really wanna watch a movie
    10-24-14 07:14 PM
    I'm not disappointed. Had I watched not reviews on it beforehand I would be. This day in age, you can know the pros and cons of items before purchasing them.
    10-24-14 07:21 PM
    no different than the Q10 sir

Posted via CB/Q10
    10-24-14 07:23 PM
    Yes I am looking forward to mainstream video technology catching up to what the PP can do.

PP is a game changer.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 07:47 PM
    For those that can't cope with a 16:9 video in a 1:1 screen, just buy some black tape to create a nice 16:9 frame around the picture.
    10-24-14 07:51 PM
    Nope. I actually enjoy the experience. Granted, I don't watch a ton of video but for what I do watch it does the trick just fine.
    eldrover and 3_M4N like this.
    10-24-14 08:10 PM
    What interested me when reviewers complained about this was the implication that people watch videos on their phone for an extended length of time. Do people do that??? If you've got a Note or 6+, yes sure I can see why it's perfectly watchable, but on a normally sized phone it's surprising anyone would, the screen is tiny for that purpose. Even my Z30 sized screen isn't really big enough, and stuck at airports believe me I've tried.

The odd YouTube video sure - but then who cares about the black bars, it's a 30 second clip much of the time.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 08:27 PM
    No problem for me. I watch the video, not the black bars.
    The black bars is just a reason people create to stop themselves from changing to a new screen size/ratio. If you can get annoyed with them, you can be annoyed by everything else in your peripheral vision.
    Remember the big huge TV back then in the 70s and 80s? Many of them had sliding door pulled from either side and huge speakers. No one was bother about the parts surrounding the screen at all.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    10-24-14 08:41 PM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Works perfect for me....

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 09:17 PM
    What phones are 16:9? There's always a trade off.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 09:21 PM
    One movie a week is not a big deal. You're watching movies whole days, are you?
    I think we get black bar on ipad too sometimes and ain't nobody complains about it.
    Anyone disappointed watching videos on Passport due to square screen?-385915f1953b7abe.png
    10-24-14 09:29 PM
    What phones are 16:9?
    iPhone 6 and 6 plus are 16:9. I think the 5 and 5S were also?

But I agree the video experience on the passport is fine. The letterbox doesn't bother me.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    10-24-14 09:30 PM
147 123 ...