I know there are some 3rd party units out there, but I'd like a Blackberry station as they will likely include the power cord and I can use the one that came with it as a travel spare. Any news on a release?
    10-10-14 11:01 AM
    without the charging contacts on the device it makes it hard to do a good one.
    10-10-14 11:57 AM
    I thought with the charging input on the bottom of the phone with the Passport they would have an easier time creating an upright charging cradle? I know with the Z30, Z10, and Q10 it was on the side so it was awkward to build something. But, with the plugin centered on the bottom of the phone, I would think they could design something similar to what we had with the Bold 9900, just that you would have to slide it into the plug vs. drop it right in. Hope they consider it.
    10-10-14 12:45 PM
    Check the BB shop as I think I saw something on there yesterday.
    10-10-14 12:47 PM
    What about the two side rails as the charging contacts?
    10-10-14 12:51 PM
    What about the two side rails as the charging contacts?
    The two side rails connect at the top of the phone.
    10-10-14 01:01 PM
    Are you sure?

The headphone jack separates them at the top and I checked with a multimeter and there is resistance between the two sides.
    10-10-14 01:02 PM
    I don't believe this.

3rd party (or BB) is capable of producing a nice BlackBerry PassPort specific cradle with micoUSB connection.

The reason I say this is because I had a really nice one, perfect fit, specifically for my Q10. In fact, with an insert option I was able to dock the Q10 with and without a slim case! Look it up on Ebay. Too bad the port was on the side and the device lay in landscape mode. Not my cup of tea.

I too am looking forward to a nice charging cradle for the Passport. Especially with the port at the bottom the device will sit in the proper orientation. There are universal ones out at the moment, but I am hoping there will be a Passport specific one where it will seat nicely and quickly with the proper guides. (and be able to accommodate a slim case)
    10-10-14 01:05 PM
    I think it would have been a good thing to have these charging contacts as the bold 9900 has. I hate having all those cables when charging.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 05:13 PM
    Are you sure?

The headphone jack separates them at the top and I checked with a multimeter and there is resistance between the two sides.
    they arent charging contacts plain and simple sorry
    10-10-14 05:42 PM
    Are you sure?

You see resistance because those strips of metal are actually part of the paratek antenna setup, so they're hooked internally to the phone's cellular transceiver. If it was straight open then they might be safe to use as charging contacts, but as it is, it'd be somewhat dangerous to start running a bunch of current through something that was directly connected to the antenna input....

All that aside I do hope they make another cradle for it, even if it has a little microUSB plug on it that connects to the device VS the little contact points. I like the contact point better as you don't have to worry about a connector wearing out, but anything is better than nothing in this case.

Comon Seidio, get us a dock!
    10-10-14 05:49 PM
    I know there are some 3rd party units out there, but I'd like a Blackberry station as they will likely include the power cord and I can use the one that came with it as a travel spare. Any news on a release?
    I know you were asking for an official BlackBerry charging station, but I previously posted that the KiDiGi horizontal charging station works perfectly for the Passport. The cradle part is completely flat with a micro USB plug that is adjustable, and the back is angled nicely for the Passport to lean on. I had been using one for my Q10 (charging it on its side) but it works great for the Passport as well. Comes with its own power cord. If you search Amazon or eBay using KiDiGi horizontal you will find it - there is a listing for it with each different type of phone but I believe it is the same horizontal charger for all of them.
    sophace likes this.
    10-10-14 07:35 PM
    Pro clip makes a great unit for the car that has a charging plug. Adapting to a desk top unit could be done.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 09:07 PM
    What? There is a USB port on the bottom of the device, those are your charging contacts...
    10-11-14 05:52 AM
    Are you sure?

Any news on an official docking station?-passport-frame-1.jpg
    Pic above with the Passport faces down, the headphone jack is in the top right of the frame. The power button is in the top left. The frame around the power button is connected.

Any news on an official docking station?-passport-frame-2.jpg
    In this pic, with the frame position as when the Passport is back side down, the power button can be seen in the top right of the frame. The top left of the frame where the headphone jack supposed to be is connected.
    10-26-14 11:47 PM