I just installed map my run since BlackBerry world doesn't have it. Are there any downsides to this? I've heard lots about android apps ruining or harming blackberries when sideloaded

Posted via CB10 Passport
    06-22-15 06:48 PM
    I don't have a whole bunch but the worst I've experienced is less than stellar battery life.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 08:04 PM
    they don't harm blackberries. They run constantly and use battery and memory.
    Tim Heard and sirius27 like this.
    06-22-15 08:45 PM
    Does granting full permissions to Amazon's apps allow access to all of your information, or is the android runtime truly sandboxed?

Posted via CB10
    redcubicle likes this.
    06-22-15 09:45 PM
    Does granting full permissions to Amazon's apps allow access to all of your information, or is the android runtime truly sandboxed?

Posted via CB10
    I think you have to grant all permissions to android apps as you dont get options to pick and choose permissions. Its all or nothing

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.798
    06-22-15 09:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sandboxing has nothing to do with permissions.

The Android code is prevented from accessing the protected parts of the OS itself, but if you permit apps full access to your contacts, file system, etc - then they can access those things.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252
    06-22-15 09:59 PM

The Android code is prevented from accessing the protected parts of the OS itself, but if you permit apps full access to your contacts, file system, etc - then they can access those things.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252
    So allowing Amazon's two baked-in apps to run on your BB10 handset with full permissions is a potential security risk (as it is out of your control what Amazon does with what information it has access to...which in some cases could be quite a lot).

Right? Seems rather silly to bake these into the OS to me. I wish we had gotten a native Amazon app store with permission management.

Welp, at least Android M will have permission management.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-22-15 10:13 PM
    So allowing Amazon's two baked-in apps to run on your BB10 handset with full permissions is a potential security risk (as it is out of your control what Amazon does with what information it has access to...which in some cases could be quite a lot).

Right? Seems rather silly to bake these into the OS to me. I wish we had gotten a native Amazon app store with permission management.

Welp, at least Android M will have permission management.

Posted via CB10
    First off, the Amazon Appstore apps themselves are safe.

Second, we can get granular control over other apps if you download an Android permission manager app (android 4.3 was an anomaly as it allows more control over permissions - and that's the version of the BlackBerry Android Runtime). Although many Android apps may break if you deny them necessary permissions.
    https://mega.co.nz/#!IJxl2SiS!6UwENs...OTPuLqslbRyIKg

Third, Blackberry Guardian vets Android apps when you install them.

Fourth, native apps could mine your data just as easily if you grant them permission as well.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252
    Last edited by conite; 06-22-15 at 10:42 PM.
    06-22-15 10:17 PM
    Good point. But I only grant native apps the bare necessities, and even then, I sometimes just delete them if they want too much. It's not that I have any sensitive info on my phone, it's just the principle of it.

The way I see it, Amazon is a company that'd love to have your personal info. That's what the Fire Phone was all about.

What miffs me is that I can't retract permissions to the Amazon apps.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-23-15 12:27 AM
    I don't mind Amazon apps, I use the tunein pro radio from it's app giveaway

what bothers me about amazon is that it needs to open amazon app to check that I'm logged in >.> if it didn't do this I would use more amazon apps but I dislike things "piggy" backing onto other programs, it's almost virus like to me. So I install what I want, then uninstall Amazon app lol, after that the apps cry about not having amazon, but I just keep pressing okay and warning goes away and app works
    06-23-15 12:32 AM
    Merely installing an amazon app uses extra memory and battery??? Or actually using the app uses more memory and battery??

Posted via CB10 Passport
    06-23-15 06:30 PM
    I don't use the Amazon app store, I use Snap and all of the Android apps I use all work fairly good on my Passport.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    06-23-15 06:32 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252
    Let me ask, how do you turn off permission on Android apps? The only thing one can do is look at what each app accesses and either use them or delete them according to what permission one would like to give.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 07:05 PM
    Let me ask, how do you turn off permission on Android apps? The only thing one can do is look at what each app accesses and either use them or delete them according to what permission one would like to give.

Posted via CB10
    I posted a link to an Android Permission manager above. Post#8

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252
    06-23-15 07:08 PM
    I posted a link to an Android Permission manager above. Post#8

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252
    Point taken, will try it. I'm thinking the majority will not work if one denies permission. Permissions are not something Android app developers won't things to be turned off. In the Google world it's like the wild wild west! Anything goes and suck as much info as they can.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dphjeff; 06-23-15 at 07:31 PM.
    06-23-15 07:15 PM
    They're inefficient android programs that mostly suck. There are a limited few that are of good quality. Android 'apps' are like the wild west, shooting from the hip, and living by the seats of their pants.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 03:17 PM
    Based on three months' experience, two things stand out:
    1. Battery life issues. You really have to pay attention here, or you may start to see your battery drain for no good reason. It's enough to turn off the "run when minimized" option on most Android apps. I found at least one app - the Kindle reader - that I had to delete altogether as there was no way to stop the drain.
    2. Amazon store apps are not always the most current versions, and updates don't necessarily show up through the store. I have installed several apps from Amazon that show updates through Snap. However, I always install from the Amazon store first, having the impression that the store is a safer, at least for BlackBerry, place than Snap. But I don't know if that's factually the case.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 08:35 PM
    The inability to delete Amazon's baked-in apps or retract permissions makes for a potential security issue imo.

Posted via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    06-25-15 02:01 PM
    The inability to delete Amazon's baked-in apps or retract permissions makes for a potential security issue imo.

Posted via CB10
    Then don't install any Android apps, and sign out of Amazon Appstore app. Problem solved.

Personally I only install apps I trust - Android or otherwise.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252
    06-25-15 02:06 PM
    Running on android: insecure, uncontrolled, battery hogs.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 03:36 PM
    The Amazon App Store may technically be "safe" but from my point of view, it definitely qualifies as malware.
    It often turns itself on even if I have manually turned it off, and is clearly tracking elements of my behavior.
    With respect to android apps obtained from the Amazon app store, I have uninstalled several for similar behavior and one for seeming to turn on other apps - all leading to huge battery drains on my phone.

First off, the Amazon Appstore apps themselves are safe.

Second, we can get granular control over other apps if you download an Android permission manager app (android 4.3 was an anomaly as it allows more control over permissions - and that's the version of the BlackBerry Android Runtime). Although many Android apps may break if you deny them necessary permissions.
    https://mega.co.nz/#!IJxl2SiS!6UwENs...OTPuLqslbRyIKg

Third, Blackberry Guardian vets Android apps when you install them.

Fourth, native apps could mine your data just as easily if you grant them permission as well.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 05:34 PM
    The Amazon App Store may technically be "safe" but from my point of view, it definitely qualifies as malware.
    It often turns itself on even if I have manually turned it off, and is clearly tracking elements of my behavior.
    With respect to android apps obtained from the Amazon app store, I have uninstalled several for similar behavior and one for seeming to turn on other apps - all leading to huge battery drains on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    The Amazon app provides services to other apps (in-app purchase mechanism for instance), and provides push notifications to the HUB. As a result, it must have active background services/processes running. It is not malware.

Many Android apps are similar in that they require running services in the background for notifications and other features.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252
    06-25-15 06:21 PM
    How one defines what malware is or isn't is somewhat subjective.
    It definitely diminishes the performance of the device, and it doesn't allow the user to limit it's permissions.
    It's malware enough to me that I have decided (at least for now) to give up access to all the Android apps I downloaded from it so I could log out of it. (Since it's nearly impossible to uninstall it permanently.)

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 06:53 PM
    Then don't install any Android apps, and sign out of Amazon Appstore app. Problem solved.

Personally I only install apps I trust - Android or otherwise.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252
    How does signing out of the Amazon app store solve this? Permissions are still granted. Amazon still has access to my information. I'd have to reinstall my OS.

I'm worried on principle. This is definitely an issue that deserves some discussion. Not dismissal. Try thinking critically.

Posted via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    06-25-15 10:34 PM
    WOW great info guys. Thank you very much.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    06-26-15 10:31 PM
39 12