My black Passport is having the infamous double typing issue, so I buckled in and began the journey that is the RMA process through BlackBerry.

I gave them my credit card info and they placed $499.99 plus tax on hold to do the advanced exchange, where they send me a replacement and I send back the defective device.

So this is what I get today.

The worst part is, I called to tell them about it ( 1-877-255-2377) and the guy got all defensive and told me that "there is no guarantee that a device will be new, it's a replacement" and then I had to press the issue.

This device is clearly used, with bad scuffs that have taken off the rubberized finish on both bottom corners, with some deep random cuts on the back, and some weird stripes of wear across the back that I have no idea how someone could even cause. I can't get a good picture of it, but there are also long scratches that run the entire length of the left side of the stainless steel frame.

I can deal with the broken English that the reps speak (FYI: they're in Costa Rica) and I can deal with the hassle of trying to read their emails, and days of delays in communication. But to get a phone in this shape is unacceptable, and BlackBerry should really hold its employees who evaluate these units as replacements to a higher standard than this.

Of course, the rep said someone will be in touch with me sometime next week with the "next course of action." It will probably be mid or late May by the time I get my next replacement.
    Attachment 350608
    Another RMA horror story-img_20150501_232106_hdr.jpg
    Another RMA horror story-img_20150501_232524.jpg
    Another RMA horror story-img_20150501_232504.jpg
    Another RMA horror story-img_20150501_232144_hdr.jpg
    Another RMA horror story-img_20150501_232449.jpg

Posted via CB10
    ooklah and reeneebob like this.
    05-02-15 01:36 AM
    That really sucks what some companies call "refurbished". They guarantee it works, but that's about it...
    SK122387 likes this.
    05-02-15 02:00 AM
    Sorry to hear that. I have the same double letter typing and haven't sent mind in yet for the same reasons. The problem of getting someone else broken phone and I don't feel the double letters is a hardware issue. I'm 100% positive its software related and can be fixed if they go backward before this whole double letter typing got started which was during the 10.3.1 official launch around February. Prior to that everyone Passport was working flawlessly with no double letter complaints.

Anyhow, whether it's software or hardware related BlackBerry should acknowledge it's customers with the problem and assure us that they are working on a solution. They are too quit about this and eventually it will explode. Someone could be getting fired at BlackBerry soon considering how long this problem have stretch. This isn't just about the Passport, it's also affecting the Q10, Classic, Z30 (mildly) and potentially future devices sales like the Slider.

Come on BlackBerry this is not the right way to treat your customers. At least Apple admitted they have faulted on many things and assured their customer with a solution to their problems.
    Last edited by thymaster; 05-02-15 at 02:16 AM.
    SK122387 likes this.
    05-02-15 02:04 AM
    Am not sure what the policy is about RMA.. but if they're supposed to give a new device, raise a complaint about them in Better business Bureau BBB. That's how mine was resolved.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 and SK122387 like this.
    05-02-15 02:20 AM
    Sorry to hear that. I have the same double letter typing and haven't sent mind in yet for the same reasons. The problem of getting someone else broken phone and I don't feel the double letters is a hardware issue. I'm 100% positive its software related and can be fixed if they go backward before this whole double letter typing got started which was during the 10.3.1 official launch around February. Prior to that everyone Passport was working flawlessly with no double letter complaints.

Anyhow, whether it's software or hardware related BlackBerry should acknowledge it's customers with the problem and assure us that they are working on a solution. They are too quit about this and eventually it will explode. Someone could be getting fired at BlackBerry soon considering how long this problem have stretch. This isn't just about the Passport, it's also affecting the Q10, Classic, Z30 (mildly) and potentially future devices sales like the Slider.

Come on BlackBerry this is not the right way to treat your customers. At least Apple admitted they have faulted on many things and assured their customer with a solution to their problems.

You should exchange it and ask for the advanced exchange. I've done a few RMA exchanges with BlackBerry and this is the first one where I've gotten a bad unit. Ironically, the replacement I just got has a great keyboard, it's just the back is visibly messed up. The firmer keyboards I've had, on my black Passport and red one and my white and black Q10s, I've found they're the ones without the double typing. But the ones that are softer and easier to press, they've always had the double typing issue.

BlackBerry should do something about the double typing issue for sure.. their keyboard is iconic, they really shouldn't let it have a bad reputation, especially amongst us fans.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 02:25 AM
    Write to John Chen and send the unit registered delivery to his office in Canada. No more Costa Rica nonsense!

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 and SK122387 like this.
    05-02-15 02:49 AM
    Change the back of the replacement unit with yours. Send the damaged cover back to them along with the damaged usint. Include pictures of your back and advise you exchanged them as yours is pristine and scuff free.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-02-15 05:28 AM

Are you sure this is not what they are deliberately trying to do? By now the Q10s warranties have expired, and the users can now replace it with Classic or Passport. Passports users will be just in time to replace with the Slider.

Afterglow, BlackBerry is certainly not happy about people still using Bold 9900s, isn't it that's why they started following the sealed in battery trend, and now the glued Classics. Seeing only a fraction of the users will actively ask for the defective phones to be replaced, the cost will probably be offset by the earnings from selling new handsets.

Look at the site's Q10 double type poll, over 70% ended up with double type, and yet no product recalls and the official answer is still they have not heard of this problem. Isn't it very clear what they are doing. BlackBerry today is run by very different management from the old RIM with a very different company structure, just because RIM use to value build quality and durability certainly does not mean the present Blackberry still does.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-02-15 07:16 AM
    At least you got a replacement. All I got after months of trying was: "Sorry we do not offer RMA in your country of residence, even though we do sell directly to that country." (NLD)

With the added hilarious suggestion: "If you can just move to an address in any of your neighbouring countries, we can start the RMA process immediately. You are definitely entitled to an advanced exchange. Oh, and we do need a credit card also, even though our website offers the option to pay via Paypal."

I have decided my issue (slightly loose back cover) wasn't worth any more of my time. And that in itself is pretty ridiculous, to be forced to accept A �600 piece of Hardware I just flawed...

The real issue is, if you want to raise a complaint about the Support, you have to do it through the same channels! Smh.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ Nintendo Social BBM Channel @ C001221B2
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-02-15 07:26 AM
    No wonder people go with Apple. Their warranty is great. I know, as I just dealt with them...

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-02-15 10:32 AM
    I have decided my issue (slightly loose back cover) wasn't worth any more of my time. And that in itself is pretty ridiculous, to be forced to accept A €600 piece of Hardware I just flawed...
    Sounds like your location is a blessing in disguise, according to OP, your replacement might have made you wish you'd kept the phone with the loose back cover...
    05-02-15 10:33 AM
    If I'd get crap like this for a replacement from sending in a NEW phone, a visit to a lawyer would cure things quickly if BlackBerry didn't come across...I can guarantee you that !

MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-02-15 10:36 AM
    If I'd get crap like this for a replacement from sending in a NEW phone, a visit to a lawyer would cure things quickly if BlackBerry didn't come across...I can guarantee you that !

Yeah sure, because you can afford a lawyer that can take on the BBRY legal team. It would be cheaper to fly to Waterloo and take them to small claims court in their jurisdiction. And even cheaper yet to just buy a new phone.

So the point is, who in their right mind is going to spend big money instead of just going through the proper channels as bad as they are.
    Last edited by blackmoe; 05-02-15 at 10:55 AM.
    Blacklatino and habs_fan like this.
    05-02-15 10:44 AM
    This double typing issue has been around since BlackBerry 10 came out. My Q10 had it and now it is showing up on my Passport as well.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 10:44 AM
    Boy this replacement unit looks rather beaten up! I wouldn't accept that either, refurbished or not, I simply wouldn't want to get a replacement which has seen obvious (ab)use. I hope it turns out well, hoping BlackBerry will send you another replacement.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 11:26 AM
    First off, I wouldn't describe this as a "horror story." It's an advance replacement so don't send your phone in if you don't like the replacement they sent you, plus they've offered to call you back to find a resolution. It may get to horror level but I don't think you're there...yet.

Anyway, the whole process involving Digital River is just very poor when it comes to after sales support and it's made worse by the fact there is no BlackBerry customer service (aside from Twitter which isn't very useful). Something has to be done for that end of the business, particularly when dealing with consumers especially since BlackBerry is competing with the likes of Apple. With respect to an advance replacement, they should warn people that if you go this route, you are getting a refurbished phone that may not be cosmetically perfect, but at least you saw it before you sent your phone in and you now have a choice to not send your phone in... I certainly would not if the replacement was damaged. At the same time, I don't expect them to give brand new phones as advance replacements but they should at least look decent. And if I was BlackBerry, I wouldn't want my customers walking around with scratched up phones.

Like someone mentioned above, I also believe the double typing issue could be resolved with a software update that detects how quickly the same letter is entered is sequence. Something I've done ever since I got my Passport is clean the keyboard with a vacuum. I have a good vacuum with good suction and use the brush tool to get in there and clean it. No double typing so far and I've had it for five months now... fingers crossed. You can try cleaning yours out just in case dust/dirt is the culprit.

Good luck and keep us updated. But whatever you do, don't send your phone in unless they send you a good replacement.
    05-02-15 11:27 AM
    Just out of curiosity, how does BlackBerry Care rate compared to returning a unit to shop blackberry.com for a defective BB?
    05-02-15 12:18 PM
    Yeah sure, because you can afford a lawyer that can take on the BBRY legal team. It would be cheaper to fly to Waterloo and take them to small claims court in their jurisdiction. And even cheaper yet to just buy a new phone.

So the point is, who in their right mind is going to spend big money instead of just going through the proper channels as bad as they are.
    Is BlackBerry legal team also in Costa Rica?

Posted via CB10
    heepman likes this.
    05-02-15 12:22 PM
    Is BlackBerry legal team also in Costa Rica?

Posted via CB10
    I have no idea but I'm sure they could afford to meet anyone in any jurisdiction.
    05-02-15 03:24 PM
    First off, I wouldn't describe this as a "horror story." It's an advance replacement so don't send your phone in if you don't like the replacement they sent you, plus they've offered to call you back to find a resolution. It may get to horror level but I don't think you're there...yet.
    Have you ever had to do an exchange with Apple? My iPad Air 2 was rebooting, so I went into an Apple Store and they switched it out for a brand new one.

That makes all this RMA nonsense look like a horror story.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and jmr1015 like this.
    05-02-15 03:37 PM
    It's not a new one. Apple refurbished them. They inspected, tested and re-cometic them before handing off to another client.

Have you ever had to do an exchange with Apple? My iPad Air 2 was rebooting, so I went into an Apple Store and they switched it out for a brand new one.

That makes all this RMA nonsense look like a horror story.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 04:22 PM
    It's not a new one. Apple refurbished them. They inspected, tested and re-cometic them before handing off to another client.
    I searched the serial number, and it was manufactured at the end of January. It looks and feels just like a new one, so even if it is refurbished, at least Apple did a good job making sure the device was "new or like new."
    lift and MarsupilamiX like this.
    05-02-15 06:03 PM
    That is not always true. Apple always has brand new units boxed without accessories, in stock from day one of launch, specifically and only for replacements... When Apple says they're "sold out" at launch, they still have brand new devices in stock for replacements. They don't literally sell every single iPhone they can produce... and even later in the products life cycle, if a substantial amount of replacements are needed before an equal amount of returns are processed and refurbished, then replacement units would have to be new, rather than refurbs.

I searched the serial number, and it was manufactured at the end of January. It looks and feels just like a new one, so even if it is refurbished, at least Apple did a good job making sure the device was "new or like new."
    It's like a 50/50 shot of it being new or refurbed. Apple's refurbishment process involves fitting the device with a new serial number. As far as I know, their refurb process is very in depth, usually involving completely tearing the device down and going through assembly and all the same sets of checks and tests as their brand new products have to pass.

From Apple's website regarding their refurbished products:

"Each Apple Refurbished Product:

�is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
    �is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
    �is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
    �is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
    �includes either the Mac OS/iOS originally shipped with the unit or, in some cases, a more recent version*.
    �is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
    �is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to available refurbished stock.

Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.
    "
    MarsupilamiX and SK122387 like this.
    05-02-15 09:12 PM
    Wow, I can understand why the OP is upset. If i get a device in that condition i would just swap the back with mine before sending it back, granted it is not too hard to do.
    05-02-15 10:34 PM
    This double typing issue has been around since BlackBerry 10 came out. My Q10 had it and now it is showing up on my Passport as well.

Posted via CB10
    I had it on a 9900 as well. It is not a software issue. My q10 started doing it too after being in a drawer for months. Humidity, dust....
    05-02-15 10:40 PM
36 12