Im a BlackBerry fan, have always been from the beginning. I welcomed BB 10 and all the gestures and innovations. I also welcomed the hybrid keyboard on the Passport and will continue to embrace and support anything new they may bring in the future. However, this android marriage is bothering me. I also like IOS, Windows Os although lacking a good browser is fine too. But Android... I do dislike everything that has to do with google. I do worry about android taking over bb10. I want to get rid of Amazon appstore, android player, and anything that has google's hands in it but I cant. I dont want to think this is the beginning of the end.
    04-23-15 11:38 PM
    Great thought..... just write the shareholders a cheque and buy the company.... then you can do whatever you want...lol.
    illlya and MobileMadness002 like this.
    04-23-15 11:46 PM
    If so, the end began with the Android runtime being part of the Playbook OS years ago.

This would be a long, slow, drawn out end.

I think it's actually just a bandaid. If the bandaid isn't enough to stop users from completely abandoning BlackBerry, the phones will just cease to exist and BlackBerry will become a software company. Could happen, could not happen. Game's not over yet.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 01:08 AM
    I've always regarded my Android apps as second class compared to native. Both the BlackBerry Android runtime and the selection and quality of Android apps would have to improve significantly before anything like an app takeover could happen.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    thymaster likes this.
    04-24-15 01:25 AM
    In retrospect, I'm not a fan of the runtime anymore. I think it has hurt the platform's long term prognosis.

I understand the concept, and even the need; I just don't like where it leads.
    gvs1341 likes this.
    04-24-15 01:37 AM
    I don't like or trust Google either. No one should be that reliant on a company. I just minimize my Google related usage. The only thing Google related I still use is Youtube and search engine. I think Android apps sucks in general and even on actual Android devices it crashes all the time. I prefer native Blackberry apps because it's more fluid and avoid Android as if possible.
    04-24-15 03:39 AM
    I don't like or trust Google either. No one should be that reliant on a company. I just minimize my Google related usage. The only thing Google related I still use is Youtube and search engine. I think Android apps sucks in general and even on actual Android devices it crashes all the time. I prefer native Blackberry apps because it's more fluid and avoid Android as if possible.
    I know. It's Google, now, instead of Microsoft. Whoever is "king of the hill" gets plugged into the latest conspiracy theory. Sorry to see you jump on that bandwagon. The Android OS may have started with Google, except it's roots are actually in open source Unix and Linux. And most apps are not created nor controlled by Google.

I'm sorry to hear you limit yourself in what Android apps you use. I went from Windows Mobile to OS6 & OS7 to Android to BB10. All with almost no app crashes. I've run Android 2.x through 5.0.2 and had only one app ever crash. I replaced that one with an alternative. Choose a function and you'll find multiple apps that handle it, most without ever crashing.

On BB10, I'd stick with BB stuff, except there are things not available for Blackberry that are for Android. The most well known "made for Blackberry" weather app uses 3 times the amount of battery, uses more resources and does less than my favorite Android equivalent. Where there are both a BB and an Android version of an app, the Android version often has more features and runs at least as smoothly.

It really doesn't matter what platform you're on, if you happen to pick the wrong apps and don't try others, you're going to have an overall bad experience that may look like it's the platform's fault. I've actually experienced more crashes and lack of features with things I've used from the BetaZone than anywhere else. Should I conclude that BB10 is lousy?
    04-24-15 07:36 AM
    Whether or not the Amazon appstore or Android player exists, I haven't been using them and I've been fine. I like that the option is there
    04-24-15 08:49 AM
    That the option is there is fine, however I would appreciate being able to get rid of it as well as all the support for android that is using ram and storage space.
    BTW battery life was great till I logged in to the appstore.
    Last edited by Tessoro Desoto; 04-24-15 at 10:04 AM.
    04-24-15 09:17 AM
    If Android app support brings new people in to adopt Blackberry, then that's the best thing that could happen to the ecosystem.

Once the Blackberry user base grows large enough, the demand for native Blackberry apps will increase and developers will rush to port their Android apps to native BB10 and new apps could even start being developed as Blackberry-first to meet those demands.

As long as Blackberry doesn't go crazy and decide to jump ship and release an Android phone, native BB10 apps could flourish in the future.
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    04-24-15 10:46 AM
    Im a BlackBerry fan, have always been from the beginning. I welcomed BB 10 and all the gestures and innovations. I also welcomed the hybrid keyboard on the Passport and will continue to embrace and support anything new they may bring in the future. However, this android marriage is bothering me. I also like IOS, Windows Os although lacking a good browser is fine too. But Android... I do dislike everything that has to do with google. I do worry about android taking over bb10. I want to get rid of Amazon appstore, android player, and anything that has google's hands in it but I cant. I dont want to think this is the beginning of the end.
    Ironically, BlackBerry provides the perfect option for those wanting to use Android apps and avoiding Google.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 04:09 PM
    So far there is no actual take over in progress, at least nothing official. Besides Android! = Google. In fact the installed Android environment on our BB10 devices doesn't seem to have any Google related stuff enabled at all, just look at the angry crowd complaining weekly about the missing Google Play Service. So the Android runtime seems pretty solid, the only annoyance is the fact you can't limit the app permissions there. I agree though with the Amazon app store, don't know why we aren't allowed to simply delete it.

Anyways, nobody is forced to use it, for example so far I haven't really used my Amazon store for nothing else than downloading Audible, which is also the only Android app installed on my phones.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 04:22 PM
    Ironically, BlackBerry provides the perfect option for those wanting to use Android apps and avoiding Google.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't call it perfect, but point taken.
    04-24-15 04:28 PM