A bit odd isn't it?

Amazon shipping BlackBerry Passport with T-Mobile SIM's-img_20141113_132400.png

Posted Securely Via BlackBerry Passport.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    11-13-14 02:26 PM
    Wow! I wonder exactly when did they start this?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 02:40 PM
    Wow! I wonder exactly when did they start this?

Posted via CB10
    No clue. Just popped up for me today. Really odd seeing as its coming Prime directly from Amazon also the defunct relationship between BlackBerry and T-Mobile.

11-13-14 02:58 PM
    Amazon wants to make the extra $10 selling the T-Mobile SIM. Its a bundled sale. Not a T-Mobile phone that has the SIM inside the box.
    raino likes this.
    11-13-14 03:03 PM
    Yep, you can often get a sim pack directly from Tmob for a dollar or less so its a good profit margin for Amazon to throw that in the box with the phone.
    11-13-14 03:32 PM
    I'm not surprised. Any way to make a buck and it's being done. I just wonder how long have they been doing this. Since the device release? I've never heard anyone mention this before. So it's relatively new?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 03:44 PM
    I think this is relatively new. I check the Amazon Passport listing regularly to see the rating, reviews, etc. and last did this a couple of days ago without seeing this option. In any event, really feels like BlackBerry is getting some wind in it's sails, especially after today's presentations.

Passport on AT&T
    11-13-14 04:14 PM
    But I wonder who's behind this: Amazon, or TMO.

What does Amazon get from selling a TMO SIM? They're not even selling prepaid service, it looks like. Just a $10 SIM card. I could buy that from TMO, Best Buy, Walmart, etc.

If it's TMO...how hypocritical of them.
    11-13-14 04:50 PM
    Just an excuse to make another $10.00
    Pre-Black Friday and Christmas marketing.
    TMO covers the cost and will give them small percentage if anyone signs up.

But I wonder who's behind this: Amazon, or TMO.

What does Amazon get from selling a TMO SIM? They're not even selling prepaid service, it looks like. Just a $10 SIM card. I could buy that from TMO, Best Buy, Walmart, etc.

If it's TMO...how hypocritical of them.
    11-13-14 04:57 PM
    This is relatively new as I just tried to buy another Passport from Amazon for my friend in Europe. I didn't see it yesterday or even when I added it to the cart this morning. When I looked at my order around 4:30PM, I stumble into this! Hope that this means something positive on horizon between BB and TMO.

Cheers
    11-13-14 04:58 PM
    Amazon UK does it for UK carriers as well.. might be new on the US site but certainly not a new practice.
    11-13-14 05:07 PM
    Just an excuse to make another $10.00
    Pre-Black Friday and Christmas marketing.
    TMO covers the cost and will give them small percentage if anyone signs up.
    But that's the thing: you can buy this $10 SIM card from anywhere. The real money is in service, and Amazon's not even selling that here. Are you suggesting these SIM cards are somehow tagged, so that when they're activated Amazon can collect affiliate/referral money?
    11-13-14 05:09 PM
    Amazon UK does it for UK carriers as well.. might be new on the US site but certainly not a new practice.
    Some US sellers do it too. But look at the carrier here: T-Mobile. Somehow, I find it hard to believe they haven't consented to this at some level...which, if they have, makes them hypocrites.
    11-13-14 05:11 PM
    Yeah... What Raino said. lol

Also, I wonder what OS these devices are shipping with. A lot of people have said they've received updates right out of the box on set up. So will this Magenta SIM spark an update? If so, what does that say about BlackBerry updates in general now for T-Mobile. Is something brewing?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 05:14 PM
    The SIM is the same prepaid kit you can buy at any store. Sometimes the T-Mobile website has sales and sells them for $.01 or FREE, so forget paying $10 to Amazon.
    11-13-14 05:29 PM
    Pretty sneaky of Amazon.... make money off us T-Mobile customers when selling us non-branded phones.
    11-13-14 05:54 PM
    I think the true oddity here is as previously stated, are 2 things... 1. Amazon doesn't even (currently) carry service with T-Mobile, so why this? 2. T-Mobile or Amazon had to contractually consent to this... again why?

11-13-14 06:58 PM
    2. T-Mobile or Amazon had to contractually consent to this... again why?
    Why do you speculate a contract or explicit consent "had to" be needed by T-Mobile, BlackBerry and/or Amazon? Where is the fine print on a SIM regarding what devices with which it can and cannot be sold in a bundle? Unless you can produce evidence to the contrary, you're drawing a conclusion based on speculation rather than fact.

If you still have the "card" for your SIM, take a look at it. You won't find any restrictions on where, how or with which devices it's sold.

If I wanted to sell you a new or used phone and include both unregistered AT&T and Tmo SIM cards in the same shipment, nothing would prevent me from doing so. I wouldn't need anyone's permission or a contract in place beforehand. The same goes for a reseller -- Amazon included.

I understand the odd combination and drama behind it but in this case it's just a SIM card.

[CB10 / Q10]
    11-13-14 07:55 PM
    Why do you speculate a contract or explicit consent "had to" be needed by T-Mobile, BlackBerry and/or Amazon? Where is the fine print on a SIM regarding what devices with which it can and cannot be sold in a bundle? Unless you can produce evidence to the contrary, you're drawing a conclusion based on speculation rather than fact.

If you still have the "card" for your SIM, take a look at it. You won't find any restrictions on where, how or with which devices it's sold.

If I wanted to sell you a new or used phone and include both unregistered AT&T and Tmo SIM cards in the same shipment, nothing would prevent me from doing so. I wouldn't need anyone's permission or a contract in place beforehand. The same goes for a reseller -- Amazon included.

I understand the odd combination and drama behind it but in this case it's just a SIM card.

[CB10 / Q10]
    All good points. You're absolutely correct it's purely speculation. Although it's not "just a SIM card" as Amazon doesn't carry T-Mobile service in ANY form... it never has (why now?).

11-13-14 08:09 PM
    Hmm... the bigger issue here is that it might give the impression that the Passport is fully supported by Tmo. Would hate for someone to buy it based on that and then be disappointed at the lack of wifi calling.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 08:12 PM
    All good points. You're absolutely correct it's purely speculation. Although it's not "just a SIM card" as Amazon doesn't carry T-Mobile service in ANY form... it never has (why now?).

Amazon sells the SIM kits.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BCT...UvbUpU11076546

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 09:24 PM
    Amazon sells the SIM kits.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BCT...UvbUpU11076582

Posted via CB10
    I'll be damned. That's news to me. Thanks Denise.

11-13-14 09:32 PM
    Amazon is probably seeing a market opportunity in selling a SIM to an existing Tmo customer and saving said customer the hassle of sourcing a SIM in the process. With the Passport being the first BB to use a nano SIM, Amazon is safe to assume that most existing BlackBerry owners making the switch have the wrong size SIM. And, for only $10, it's an easy bundle.

Hmm... the bigger issue here is that it might give the impression that the Passport is fully supported by Tmo. Would hate for someone to buy it based on that and then be disappointed at the lack of wifi calling.
    Very few know about wifi calling, let alone BlackBerry or that BlackBerry is still making phones. I suspect those who might see the Amazon deal and connect the two are not only in the minority but as close to statistically immeasurable as it gets given BlackBerry's 0.5% US market share, fraction of that market on T-mobile, and fraction of BlackBerry T-Mobile users on WFC. It's literally a fraction of a fraction of a fraction.

Even if T-mobile had 10% of its subscriber base on BlackBerry and an unrealistic 50% of them used WFC, that's only 0.25% (one quarter of one percent) of smartphone users in the US and based on high numbers. Take that number and divide it into those who will A) see the Amazon listing, B) think it means T-Mobile is officially supporting the Passport, and C) supporting the Passport with WFC (all of which must be assumed for the formula to hold true) and you're now talking about a fraction to the power of 6.

Come to think of it, it would be to the power of 7 since you'd also have to factor in the fraction who are considering buying a Passport to use on T-Mobile in the first place.

To me it's not an issue, big or small.

[CB10 / Q10]
    Last edited by modifier; 11-13-14 at 09:55 PM.
    11-13-14 09:41 PM