Today I've been comparing my Blackberry Passport to my iPhone 6 PLUS and found a very interesting result.

With the Passport's display set at 85% brightness, where I like it, the iPhone 6 PLUS matches it at 30%. Probably nothing more to say. I'm not trolling my fellow BB buddies but there you go ;-)

...not including the fact that the average iPhone user is more likely to use there phone more for multimedia than the average BB user, so the results aren't so surprising when you consider the above.
    10-23-14 04:46 AM
    Hi leicashot,
    I'd suggest you have a look at colors settings in the display area and also play with white balance and color saturation ... then compare again

Edit: Not sure either what you refer as "Amazing battery life" ? Passport battery life or IP6+ ?
    10-23-14 05:21 AM
    I do not get your point. Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    10-23-14 05:41 AM
    Note also that BlackBerry 10 automatically adjusts screen brightness based on ambient brightness. 85% won't be a fixed brightness level. I don't know if the iPhone does the same?
    brian4591 and Dodger52 like this.
    10-23-14 05:43 AM
    I think OP's premise is that it is possible to get good battery life on PP, one reason being that BB users don't use their devices as much.
    10-23-14 06:01 AM
    I don't think you can say one way or the other, which users, use their devices more i think it is dependent of the individual user. You could argue BB users use their phone less because they get sh&$ done faster, Apple users use theirs more cause they are gamers, those arguments could go on for months.Op can you clarify your point on what device you think is amazing.
    10-23-14 06:15 AM
    All I can say is this. All of my co-workers that have iphones have them plugged in constantly and God forbid they forget their charger because then they are frantically calling around the office looking for a spare charging cable because their phone is about to die. My passport only gets charged while I sleep. I never even use my car charger these days.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 07:20 AM
    Let's face it. The iPhone is really not designed for work. With moderate to heavy use, you are lucky if you get 4 hours of life out of it. In this day and age, it is just plain unacceptable. Most of my colleagues that have work iPhones simply don't use them to any significant degree. The ones that do, have them constantly plugged in. So much for mobile.

Posted via CB10
    Mo Cat, Mangelhaft and Niro Sri like this.
    10-23-14 07:56 AM
    BlackBerry has very aggressive auto brightness which explains why it looks how it looks. try them both with auto brightness on and in a pitch black room or in dire t sunlight

Posted via CB10
    yvpan1 likes this.
    10-23-14 08:02 AM
    The OP's argument seems invalid to me as he was happy with 85% brightness , meaning he didn't need more. So as long as the PP beats iPhone battery at his satisfied brightness level I would still consider it a winner.

Passport, SQW 100-1, 10.3.0.1154
    10-23-14 09:09 AM
    I think the fact that the iPhone's battery capacity is only 84% that of the Passport's probably has something to do with it, too.
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    10-23-14 10:13 AM
    is it just me. Which phone did he say has amazing battery life?
    Last edited by mikedolo; 10-23-14 at 10:34 AM.
    Crazed_BB_Fanatic likes this.
    10-23-14 10:21 AM
    is it just me. Which phone did he say has amazing bettery life?
    He/she is giving theories as to why the PP might appear to have better battery life than IP6.
    10-23-14 10:28 AM
    I am not getting it either.

Using Blackberry Passport via AT&T
    10-23-14 10:28 AM
    Today I've been comparing my Blackberry Passport to my iPhone 6 PLUS and found a very interesting result.

With the Passport's display set at 85% brightness, where I like it, the iPhone 6 PLUS matches it at 30%. Probably nothing more to say. I'm not trolling my fellow BB buddies but there you go ;-)

...not including the fact that the average iPhone user is more likely to use there phone more for multimedia than the average BB user, so the results aren't so surprising when you consider the above.
    I think this has a lot do do with the differences:

iPhone 6 - 1,810 mAh battery - 4.7 inch screen
    iPhone 6 Plus - 2,915 mAh battery - 5.5 inch screen
    BlackBerry Passport - 3,450 mAh battery - 4.5 inch square screen

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    Superfly_FR and blkitr like this.
    10-23-14 01:01 PM
    I think this has a lot do do with the differences:

iPhone 6 - 1,810 mAh battery - 4.7 inch screen
    iPhone 6 Plus - 2,915 mAh battery - 5.5 inch screen
    BlackBerry Passport - 3,450 mAh battery - 4.5 inch square screen

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    I ran a battery app and it says passport has only a 3400 mah capacity battery
    10-23-14 01:10 PM
    Not to mention 453 ppi vs 400 or so on the ip6+

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 01:14 PM
    Its really not useful to use percentage levels of brightness from different phone OS as you can't say the scale is the same. You'd have to compare it with an objective measure like Nits that measure luminance and even then other factors like contrast and underlying screen tech change the subjective level of brightness by the user.
    brian4591 likes this.
    10-23-14 01:40 PM
    OK let me clarify. The Passport is CHEATING because it's LCD brightness is super low. Even on 100%, it is equivalent to the iPhone 6 PLUS at 40%. With the Passport at 50% brightness, the iPhone equivalent is about 15%....This has a huge impact on battery life, and is not representative as being an LCD that meets today's standards. It is a great LCD in terms of clarity and colour, but brightness is really not there and viewing in sunlight will be challenging at times.

I know people don't want to give the iPhone 6 credit but there is nothing 'business' it can't do that the Blackberry can do.....but that's a whole other debate, and trust me, I'm far from being an Apple fan, especially lately..... but the battery life of the Passport was huge factor for me switching over.

I also have other issues that BB hasn't resolved, like syncing to google and Mac which still haven't been fixed in 2014. Anyway, this topic was about battery life, and I'm sorry BB users, but the LCD is cheating as it is much lower in brightness than the industry standard, and that is how they are achieving such high usage times.
    10-23-14 06:55 PM
    Its really not useful to use percentage levels of brightness from different phone OS as you can't say the scale is the same. You'd have to compare it with an objective measure like Nits that measure luminance and even then other factors like contrast and underlying screen tech change the subjective level of brightness by the user.

I trust my eyes, and don't need analytics to tell me brightness levels
    10-23-14 06:56 PM
    Not to mention 453 ppi vs 400 or so on the ip6+

Posted via CB10

If you can see the difference with your eyes I'd be very surprised. I find them impossible to tell apart in terms of clarity showing the same pictures and text.
    10-23-14 06:57 PM
    He/she is giving theories as to why the PP might appear to have better battery life than IP6.

Thank you, I think my post was quite self explanatory, though fans here will think my objective views are trolling.
    10-23-14 06:58 PM
    I'm not talking about the iPhone 4 or 5.....

Let's face it. The iPhone is really not designed for work. With moderate to heavy use, you are lucky if you get 4 hours of life out of it. In this day and age, it is just plain unacceptable. Most of my colleagues that have work iPhones simply don't use them to any significant degree. The ones that do, have them constantly plugged in. So much for mobile.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 06:59 PM
    Invalid? Read again before making such assumptions. I can only imagine battery life dropping significantly using it at 85%, where I was using my iPhone 6 PLUS at 50%. I can only imagine using my iPhone 6 PLUS at 30% would yield results similar to the Passport.

The OP's argument seems invalid to me as he was happy with 85% brightness , meaning he didn't need more. So as long as the PP beats iPhone battery at his satisfied brightness level I would still consider it a winner.

Passport, SQW 100-1, 10.3.0.1154
    10-23-14 06:59 PM
    Passport max luminosity : 438 cd/m2 contrast max 1300:1 (we have a winner)
    IP6+ max luminosity : 430 cd/m2 contrast max 1127:1
    IP6 max luminosity : 430 cd/m2 contrast max 968:1
    They're VERY similar on the SPECs side.

You may confuse perception (thus my initial advices on white balance/saturation settings) and objective measures. We all know apple offer excellent screens (err... those are Samsung's IPS BTW) with an impressive color rendering, nice black and pretty good reactiveness (for LCD). Apple did a really impressive integration work at fine tuning them perfectly right. But the objective part you claim - thus your reasoning - is not clear to me ... to say the least

Source : Measures grabbed from lesnumeriques.com (sorry, in French), independent and recognized as such :
    http://www.lesnumeriques.com/telepho...0890/test.html
    http://www.lesnumeriques.com/telepho...ne-n35978.html

Posted via CB10 ... (edited (several times, sorry!) on my desktop; CB10 don't like foreing characters !)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-24-14 at 05:20 PM.
    10-24-14 04:57 PM
87 123 ...