In the third day of my transition from a Q10 to the Passport and struggling with the adjustment of the Swipe Up gesture because of the touch enabled keyboard whilst in the middle of editing text in the Hub, BB10 and Android apps.

Alternatives for Swipe up gesture when editing text-img_20150705_130555_edit.png

The Issue:
    If I am writing in BBM or Whatsapp and want to go back to my active frames, due to muscle memory I'll swipe up but end up just adding '!' or the next predictive text word. The swipe up gesture is so ingrained, I always forget and end up with the same problem

Current Workaround:
    1. If in Hub BBM or Whatsapp I swipe right to go back to active frames. Easy, just forget to do it a lot.
    2. If in an Android app, hot the '<' back button on the far bottom left of the screen, then swipe up. The three swipes down on the physical keyboard never collapses the entire onscreen keyboard.
    3. Native BB10 app, slow precision swiping works (along the line of boundary box between ' and : ) but not very practival if swiping up with the thumb.

If writing in evernote or another writing app (mostly Android apps) I have to actively end the editing before swiping up.

Haven't found a shortcut utlitly app to make an alternative gesture or keyboard shortcut for the active frame home screen so I don't have to exit the editing text area. Tried SWEEP and Shortcuts Creator.

I don't believe there is any alternative other than Swipe Up/Swipe Right Left to get back to the Home screen and active frames but hoping others have a few workflow suggestions or a super app hack programmed on their Passport.

Thanks for any alternative workarounds!
    Last edited by Pixel Spartan; 07-05-15 at 12:34 AM.
    07-04-15 11:00 PM
    That happens to me every so often and I find that I get better recognition if I swipe up starting lower off the screen and ending it closer to the middle of the screen. Also when you get to the middle of the screen, don't lift your thumb until you're certain it's the action you want.

As for alternatives, I really don't know of any since the OS is designed with gestures in mind.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 11:32 AM
    Yeah... I just tap the word. Its faster for me than swiping up.
    07-06-15 10:52 AM
    That happens to me every so often and I find that I get better recognition if I swipe up starting lower off the screen and ending it closer to the middle of the screen. Also when you get to the middle of the screen, don't lift your thumb until you're certain it's the action you want.
    Thanks for that suggestion. I tried going much slower with my thumb when swiping up over the virtual keyboard and it kinda works. Not all the time but enough for me to keep trying out the best spot to begin.
    07-07-15 04:48 AM
    Does it work any better if you swipe up and to the left on a diagonal?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-07-15 04:55 AM
    Don't go slower. Swipe fast but as I said, keep your thumb on the screen and make a definitive swipe into the center of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 05:15 AM
    Don't go slower. Swipe fast but as I said, keep your thumb on the screen and make a definitive swipe into the center of the screen.
    It works perfect in all the Android apps I've tested so far. Leaving the thumb on the screen whilst making a more aggressive swipe made the difference. I was going too slow. Thanks Zetai.

pbeasly, the diagonal swipe works really well with my left hand instead of swiping right to left (with my right thumb) when in BBM on the Hub since you cannot swipe up at all.
    07-07-15 06:55 AM