It has been talked about. I am really doubtful I could get used to a keyboard again, although the idea of programmable quick keys is maybe enough to convince me. What is the experience of BlackBerry users with a passport now ? My ideal device would be an all touch passport, enabling me to work wide too. A virtual programmable keyboard would still be usually fixed in the bottom three rows, unless for film or otherwise it would be concealed. Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6 and BACK-2-BLACK like this.
    12-03-14 01:44 AM
    No thanks, not for me. The PP is great as it is ! :-)
    thedose likes this.
    12-03-14 01:50 AM
    I'm not sure how nice an all touch Passport would look. The three rows of keys and the frets make the Passport stand out, and I don't know what developers would do with that even weirder ratio.

I didn't like the look of the Z3, or even the Passport originally, as I thought BlackBerrys should be rounded. But now I have a black and red Passport and it's just as comfortable as all my rounded BlackBerrys before. I think a Z3 style phone with better materials and a cool stainless steel bezel or a black one like the red Passport would look cool though.

I'm just way too in love with my Passports to consider using another touch screen phone anytime soon, though my Z10 and Z30 made me see what BlackBerry is really capable of when they launch a solid touch screen device.

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6 likes this.
    12-03-14 01:51 AM
    The passport is the perfect device for me. The size plus the physical keyboard is a dream come true. The design of the phone is striking.
    I went into a local T-Mobile store tonight to pick up a nano sim card. As soon as I laid the device on the counter the salesmans eyes were glued to it. He immediately asked if he could see it. Of course I obliged. After looking it over he ask if I would mind if he showed it to his coworkers. No problem. The store was packed. I'm telling you, everyone wanted to take a look. I didn't mind at all. I enjoyed it. The salesman who originally ask to show it off just kept repeating "it's a blackberry". Upon handing it back he asked where I bought it.
    I think that it's actually the keyboard more so than the form factor that wowed em. Yeah its square and that catches their attention. But the keyboard adds the elegance. You would lose most of the wow factor by eliminating the keyboard and frets. I wouldn't change a thing.

Posted two-handed via Passport
    Thrac Dark likes this.
    12-03-14 02:38 AM
    I think that it's actually the keyboard more so than the form factor that wowed em. Yeah its square and that catches their attention. But the keyboard adds the elegance. You would lose most of the wow factor by eliminating the keyboard and frets. I wouldn't change a thing.

I agree, the keyboard and its technology are the coolest parts about the Passport. There's nothing else like it, and only BlackBerry could make it work as well as it does.

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6 and thedose like this.
    12-03-14 02:42 AM
    I agree, the keyboard and its technology are the coolest parts about the Passport. There's nothing else like it, and only BlackBerry could make it work as well as it does.

Posted via CB10
    No doubt. BlackBerrys roots are grounded in the keyboard. No one can do it better.

Last edited by j21jam6; 12-03-14 at 09:39 AM.
    12-03-14 02:46 AM
    Personally I think a all touch passport would appeal to allot of folks out there, you could remove the physical keyboard and increase the screen size for the touchscreen keyboard and I think you would have a winner.

I don't think it would take much to modify the original design to manufacture the device on the same assembly line as the current model and the z30 and z10 crowd would snap them up like hotcakes.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    12-03-14 04:17 AM
    Edit:
    For myself I agree that I would definately not switch to a non qwerty keyboarded device! I use to rip my hair out wonder if and when another BlackBerry keyboard device will come out! The Q10 changed my life! And now using the Passport, it's really making my work easier and more productive!
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 12-03-14 at 04:45 AM.
    j21jam6 and thedose like this.
    12-03-14 04:30 AM
    Agreed, I use to rip my hair out when I didn't use a qwerty keyboard and now after using the passport there's no way I will go to an all touch!

Posted via CB10
    I feel the same way after using the passport for the last month, I just think an all touch passport would appeal to the z30 and z10 crowd.

12-03-14 04:41 AM
    There is a model by LG (vu) with 3rd generation now. It's all touch with similar layout as passport. Also has stylus support.
    But most of us here will not like it.
    With virtual keyboards the usual candy bar design is good.
    Passport is just right there in its sweet spot.

Probably in passport 2 they will add fingerprint security or facial recognition...just to add somethings

Frankly imho BlackBerry now needs to work on software front to improve on OS and better android app integration (if they don't have good app ecosystem for native BlackBerry world) .

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 318360
    j21jam6, anon(2313227) and kbz1960 like this.
    12-03-14 04:42 AM
    There is a model by LG (vu) with 3rd generation now. It's all touch with similar layout as passport. Also has stylus support.
    But most of us here will not like it.
    With virtual keyboards the usual candy bar design is good.
    Passport is just right there in its sweet spot.

Probably in passport 2 they will add fingerprint security or facial recognition...just to add somethings

Frankly imho BlackBerry now needs to work on software front to improve on OS and better android app integration (if they don't have good app ecosystem for native BlackBerry world) .

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 318360
    I was going to mention that phone.
    12-03-14 06:46 AM
    I think an all-touch Passport would simply be akin to the rumoured Rio or Z50 (all touch devices)

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    12-03-14 06:57 AM
    They need to bring back the slider. The torch was one of my favourite form factors, would love to see it return! Yes it makes the device thicker but doesn't bother me at all

Posted with my beautiful BlackBerry Passport!
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    12-03-14 07:31 AM
    All touch Passport is not the way to go. A Slider would be better as it is still different and not a slab. Even Samsung's Galaxy Edge is not good enough in this sea of slabs.
    thedose likes this.
    12-03-14 08:12 AM
    Full touch pp is the way to go. 4:3 ratio, 1920x1440 pixels and same reading experience as the pp. Great for Web browsing, reading docs and in landscape perfect for watching videos and playing games. And don't forget perfect navigation tool. Best of all, hight is almost equal to the Z10.
    12-03-14 08:18 AM
    LG Vu has generally been regarded as a flop. Why would BlackBerry repeat the same thing?

Posted via CB10
    chinmay007, thedose and SK122387 like this.
    12-03-14 09:02 AM
    Personally I think a all touch passport would appeal to allot of folks out there, you could remove the physical keyboard and increase the screen size for the touchscreen keyboard and I think you would have a winner.

I don't think it would take much to modify the original design to manufacture the device on the same assembly line as the current model and the z30 and z10 crowd would snap them up like hotcakes.

I agree with you 100% that an all touchscreen passport would appeal to the masses more so than the present iteration. In fact I'd take that calculated risk as the CEO, and green light an all touch version. However, personally the keyboard version is my choice.
    Nowadays BlackBerry is beginning to have an appeal on the street level. I see it daily. That groundswell began with passport. As long as that momentum continues all is well.

12-03-14 09:53 AM
    Edit:
    For myself I agree that I would definately not switch to a non qwerty keyboarded device! I use to rip my hair out wonder if and when another BlackBerry keyboard device will come out! The Q10 changed my life! And now using the Passport, it's really making my work easier and more productive!
    Same here. Prior to the release of the Z10, I use to carry my tablet, laptop, and telephone daily. The advent of remote file access was the beginning of freedom. I began to need my laptop less. Primarily I needed access to the files. Fast-forward to today. My PlayBook is a novelty, my laptop literally stays tucked underneath my bed, desktop, I only use it because it sits on my desk. BlackBerry allows me to do 100% of my behind the scenes work from a hand-held device. That's invaluable for me. Even though I began the transition (out of necessity) to all touchscreen devices with the 9860, two years later when I got the Q10 it felt like coming home. The passort is it for me: the only device that's never out of arms reach.

12-03-14 10:19 AM
    LG Vu has generally been regarded as a flop. Why would BlackBerry repeat the same thing?

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!

Especially for a company that is known for physical qwerty phones, why would they go against their M.O and and try to appeal to the masses?

We saw what happened when they tried to appeal to the masses under that clown Heinz, and look where it got them? Why would Chen repeat that failure?

An all touch passport would not have any of the keyboard gestures (part of what makes it unique), the only thing separating it from all the other touchscreen phones on the market today would be it's shape and the fact that it's running BB10, and I hate to say this, but just because it appeals to some of you BlackBerry fans does not mean it will do the same to the media driven consumers, it just wont.

I just don't get why people keep dreaming of an all-touch passport. If you want all touch, get a Z30 or a note 4.

Posted via CB10
    tenshh likes this.
    12-03-14 12:43 PM
    Exactly!

Especially for a company that is known for physical qwerty phones, why would they go against their M.O and and try to appeal to the masses?

We saw what happened when they tried to appeal to the masses under that clown Heinz, and look where it got them? Why would Chen repeat that failure?

An all touch passport would not have any of the keyboard gestures (part of what makes it unique), the only thing separating it from all the other touchscreen phones on the market today would be it's shape and the fact that it's running BB10, and I hate to say this, but just because it appeals to some of you BlackBerry fans does not mean it will do the same to the media driven consumers, it just wont.

I just don't get why people keep dreaming of an all-touch passport. If you want all touch, get a Z30 or a note 4.

Posted via CB10

Actually, the current Passport inspired me to want an all touch version because of the BB10 OS and the whole WorkWide theme.

Using a Note 4 is brutal in comparison to BB10.

I had a Z30 but found it too narrow....but .....I miss the virtual keyboard.

Also, the New School Enterprise people are in the All Touch camp.

4:3 ratio WorkWide All Touch Device with BB10 would be amazing.
    12-03-14 07:52 PM
    Also, the New School Enterprise people are in the All Touch camp.
    thanks for the laugh
    12-03-14 08:15 PM
    I think a all touch passport would be sweeeeeet.
    12-03-14 08:31 PM
    I loved my Z30 and vowed never to go back to a physical KB but I can't tell you how great this phone is. I thought about the slider too but it would add too much length. Somewhere, somehow, you have to get your hands on this device for a week or two.

Cloaking Device & Special Opps Commander for the Peevishlicious Crew on SQW-100-1 10.3.1.1154
    12-03-14 08:37 PM
    Exactly!

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't agree more, though I do dispute the bit about Mr. Heins being a clown (he did, after all oversee the development of the Passport, John Chen oversaw the launch and thus has gotten most of the credit for it).

John Chen is no fool. BlackBerry caters to a small group of users (relatively speaking), and an all-touch BlackBerry caters to an even smaller group. Think about that. Aside from people on CrackBerry, what evidence has the market shown that it is clamoring for an all-touch BlackBerry device? Storm? Storm 2? Z10? Z30? They've flopped or caused write downs, which was unfortunate because from personal experience, the Z10 was a great device which was just overproduced and undersold, which made carriers wary of the Z30 which was an even better device in nearly every way.

For the analysts that say that BlackBerry is ignoring market trends by not coming out with an all-touch phone soon, they're ignoring the fact that BlackBerry World is arguably in even worse shape now than it was when the Z10 and Q10 were rolling out. None of the "big name apps" are available, and with Amazon's app store (which is better than nothing, I suppose) there's no incentive for developers to natively develop for BlackBerry 10 anymore, and current developers seem to be updating their BlackBerry apps with less and less frequency. It would be one thing if developers of the "big name" apps and games were lined up to develop for BlackBerry 10, but that ship has sailed, and we should all just be glad that BlackBerry's ship hasn't sunk.

When it comes to the argument of whether or not it's developers that develop the apps to attract consumers to a platform or a large number of consumers that entice developers to develop for a platform, there is no easy way for BlackBerry to get out from under this dilemma. Most users are a fickle bunch. They are not going to flock to BlackBerry10 and twiddle (or type with) their thumbs while waiting in hopes that Instagram and whatever else will arrive in BlackBerry World. Does anyone honestly think that the millions of users needed to interest big name app developers are all going to give up their beloved apps on their iPhones to come sit on a BlackBerry because it has a cool keyboard and a better battery? These are the same people who, for years, have shown that they do not care about battery life or how ridiculous they look--they are perfectly happy squatting on the ground of public places, attached to a wall by a Lightning cable.
    thedose likes this.
    12-03-14 11:39 PM
    Just hoping my Z30 outlasts the wait for an all-touch Passport. I would make the switch right now, but the virtual keyboard is the only way to go for me. Split-screen capability on that kind of screen real estate would be awesome!
    05-27-15 10:03 PM
32 12