A little background..... I'm a tech lover. I have owned, or tried every phone, tablet, or watch that has come out in the last 5 years. Before that, I go as far back as the Newton Message Pad and Sony Magic Cap days.

Before 6 days ago, I was running an iPhone 6 Plus. Picked the 6 Plus up on launch day in September of 2014. 7 months for one phone for me is a record. So I was pretty happy with the 6 Plus. Better than any previous iPhone, better than Windows Phone, and better than the Note 4.

So a week ago my friend tells me he ran into his relative from Chicago. First thing he tells me is this guy had the new Blackberry Passport, and it was "sweet". I continued to ask questions. The biggest thing I took from the conversation is my friend said "Blackberry is back, you have to try one" So the next day, I'm at AT&T buying one.

I'm a business professional, not a big time gamer, or someone who has 1000 useless apps on my phone. I am a heavy email and text guy. I use about 10 key apps, all of which are available via BB.

A few thoughts after 6 days:

Size: The form factor is unique, and creative. Someone is thinking outside of the box again, and not just making rectangles. The phone is thin, and slides into my pockets every time. I love the wide viewing angle of the screen. It's wonderful for the internet, reading emails, reviewing calendars, etc.. Since I have had the Passport, I find myself browsing with my Passport, not a tablet.

Keyboard: Toughest thing for me to overcome was the physical keys. I hadn't had any physical keys since my BB Bold. When I first tried the keyboard, my first thought was, "this is going back, there is no way I will learn this keyboard". 6 Days in, I am not perfect yet on the keyboard, but I am fast. How about the touch sensitive keyboard. WOW. Impressive, and so useful once you use it for a few days. I also love using the keyboard for searches, and the BB search abilities are the best of any smart phone.

Battery Life: My typical day runs from 4am to 10pm. Phone calls, texts, 3 email accounts and browsing all day and I am lucky if I can get the battery to drop below 40%. That's with the screen brightness at 80% to 100%. Impressive

Screen: It's big, it's PPI is 453!! It's crystal clear. It's view-able in day light too. Very simply, Nice!

Speakers: I'm a speaker phone guy. Loud and Clear, great sound, easy to hear people on the other end without straining your ears.

BB-10os: It's hard to find negativity with the OS. Again, it's creative. It's fluid. It's fast.

I guess my biggest disappointment is that Blackberry doesn't advertise this thing. In my mind, I think it's the best smart phone I have used.
    I mean, I guess anyone could certainly argue this isn't the #1 smartphone in the world. But it's a top 5 phone, without a doubt. Blackberry is missing the boat by not advertising this. I am shocked.

My biggest decision is whether to stick with the AT&T version or buy a Red Unlocked Version.

JOHN
    04-23-15 06:01 AM
    Welcome to the club..
    I myself have had a few Android and iPhones before jumping to BB10.
    Every person who I show my Passport to just says wow..
    And you are right BlackBerry needs to advertise thing..
    04-23-15 06:19 AM
    I would have to believe a unique and creative advertising campaign would at the very least let people know, BlackBerry is alive and well.

Posted via CB10
    TerribleTim68 and tatail like this.
    04-23-15 06:22 AM
    Welcome! And glad you tried it and like it.

Hopefully as more people try the BB10 phones the word of mouth will increase BlackBerry acceptance and market share.

We have 2 in the house, both kids have it and both love it and believe is the best phone period.

Posted Via The Classic
    04-23-15 06:25 AM
    And still BlackBerry doesn't have a single clue and idea of why their products are not selling...

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 06:28 AM
    Does BlackBerry even have a marketing department? Anyways they're focusing on going back to their roots so marketing to the consumers is not in their agenda right now.

To BB or not to BB?
    04-23-15 06:40 AM
    Nice review. I wish verizon would carry the passport. But I'm still loving my Z30
    04-23-15 06:50 AM
    Posted via CB10. Fat finger Post--sorry!
    04-23-15 07:00 AM
    Nice review. The passport is quite a dig for people to discover it. One you find it, you will find other hidden gems that comes with it. Unfortunately I agree with others that Blackberry haven't done their fair share of promoting the product. Words of mouth is their only line of hope right now.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 07:15 AM
    I would have to believe a unique and creative advertising campaign would at the very least let people know, BlackBerry is alive and well.

Posted via CB10
    Why would they want to advertise to get more people interested in buying BB's? If that happens they would get a larger percentage of the people buying their product. We would not want that to happen now would we. SMDH.
    bunky1971 likes this.
    04-23-15 07:25 AM
    I to have wondered why Blackberry doesn't advertise and I really can't remember if they ever did. I know they're redirecting toward the business side again but still.... Come on Blackberry! Ya gotta fight the good fight.
    04-23-15 07:55 AM
    I to have wondered why Blackberry doesn't advertise and I really can't remember if they ever did. I know they're redirecting toward the business side again but still.... Come on Blackberry! Ya gotta fight the good fight.
    I agree 100%
    04-23-15 08:11 AM
    Welcome to the light.[of a passport] Bright, and crystal clear. I have not touched a tablet and just traded for a windows 8.1 stream. Still haven't used it like I should. Everything you want to do can pretty much be done with the PP alone.
    lang007 likes this.
    04-23-15 08:17 AM
    @JOHNGAETANO
    You are now with the Passport and you do not use your tablet anymore but did you use your tablet together with the Iphone 6 plus, the screen is 1 inch bigger then the Passports screen?

Posted via CB10
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    04-23-15 08:19 AM
    The Original Passport is MUCH MUCH better designed than the AT&T one (my opinion)
    It has an industrial feeling with its steel T shaped frame. It's just beautiful!
    and you're completely right, marketing is nowhere to be seen unfortunately...
    04-23-15 09:01 AM
    Happy you've enjoyed your Passport experience so much.

My tablet hasn't left my backpack once this week, had I not needed to look up some employee information in an accounting program, my laptop also would have stayed in the bag. I do everything on this phone.

This morning I was just saying, I'm feeling a technology craving. I want to buy something to play with. A PS Vita or a surface or a new tab of some kind... but I have to keep stopping myself as the pattern is, I buy new tech, I play with it for a day, I end up using only my phone again. May as well not even spend the money on toys.

Posted via CB10
    Slow Joe likes this.
    04-23-15 09:13 AM
    totally agree with OP disappointment statement.
    why not do some advertisement, no one knows why ...
    04-23-15 09:15 AM
    Nice review from someone who used other platforms. I would love a VKB passport but don't think they will make one or my carrier would have it.
    04-23-15 09:43 AM
    The Original Passport is MUCH MUCH better designed than the AT&T one (my opinion)
    It has an industrial feeling with its steel T shaped frame. It's just beautiful!
    and you're completely right, marketing is nowhere to be seen unfortunately...
    A lot of users who have used both claim the att version is much more comfortable to use and slides more easily into pockets.
    I have the standard one and would have loved to have the att version for those reasons.
    04-23-15 10:28 AM
    A little background..... I'm a tech lover. I have owned, or tried every phone, tablet, or watch that has come out in the last 5 years. Before that, I go as far back as the Newton Message Pad and Sony Magic Cap days.

Before 6 days ago, I was running an iPhone 6 Plus. Picked the 6 Plus up on launch day in September of 2014. 7 months for one phone for me is a record. So I was pretty happy with the 6 Plus. Better than any previous iPhone, better than Windows Phone, and better than the Note 4.

So a week ago my friend tells me he ran into his relative from Chicago. First thing he tells me is this guy had the new Blackberry Passport, and it was "sweet". I continued to ask questions. The biggest thing I took from the conversation is my friend said "Blackberry is back, you have to try one" So the next day, I'm at AT&T buying one.

I'm a business professional, not a big time gamer, or someone who has 1000 useless apps on my phone. I am a heavy email and text guy. I use about 10 key apps, all of which are available via BB.

A few thoughts after 6 days:

Size: The form factor is unique, and creative. Someone is thinking outside of the box again, and not just making rectangles. The phone is thin, and slides into my pockets every time. I love the wide viewing angle of the screen. It's wonderful for the internet, reading emails, reviewing calendars, etc.. Since I have had the Passport, I find myself browsing with my Passport, not a tablet.

Keyboard: Toughest thing for me to overcome was the physical keys. I hadn't had any physical keys since my BB Bold. When I first tried the keyboard, my first thought was, "this is going back, there is no way I will learn this keyboard". 6 Days in, I am not perfect yet on the keyboard, but I am fast. How about the touch sensitive keyboard. WOW. Impressive, and so useful once you use it for a few days. I also love using the keyboard for searches, and the BB search abilities are the best of any smart phone.

Battery Life: My typical day runs from 4am to 10pm. Phone calls, texts, 3 email accounts and browsing all day and I am lucky if I can get the battery to drop below 40%. That's with the screen brightness at 80% to 100%. Impressive

Screen: It's big, it's PPI is 453!! It's crystal clear. It's view-able in day light too. Very simply, Nice!

Speakers: I'm a speaker phone guy. Loud and Clear, great sound, easy to hear people on the other end without straining your ears.

BB-10os: It's hard to find negativity with the OS. Again, it's creative. It's fluid. It's fast.

I guess my biggest disappointment is that Blackberry doesn't advertise this thing. In my mind, I think it's the best smart phone I have used.
    I mean, I guess anyone could certainly argue this isn't the #1 smartphone in the world. But it's a top 5 phone, without a doubt. Blackberry is missing the boat by not advertising this. I am shocked.

My biggest decision is whether to stick with the AT&T version or buy a Red Unlocked Version.

JOHN
    Dude.... 4am????
    bunky1971 likes this.
    04-23-15 11:27 AM
    Tell me about it. Some days it's 3am. I need to get my life in order. Soon!!!!
    bunky1971 likes this.
    04-23-15 11:51 AM
    great to hear from some one uses the phone for what it was made for ..................glad you like it
    04-23-15 11:59 AM
    That is an awesome review.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 12:02 PM
    Come on Blackberry Users, lets do the advertising...anyhow... Blackberry Passport is hands down the one of the Best phone right now, Blackberry has always been one of the best and continue to be among the leaders in technology... Problem is I am on AT&T network so i have the rounded Passport and companies like Reinke do not make clear passport cases for the AT&T phone.. why is one of the best phones I have truly held...we just need to be shown some love make some of the cool accessories for the rounded BlackBerry.
    04-23-15 12:13 PM
    Dude.... 4am????
    Dude.... quoting the entirety of a massive post and making me scroll down a lot on my Passport to read a 2 word reply????
    bodjor and Mo Cat like this.
    04-23-15 12:41 PM
48 12