Hi all,

Anybody know if a 2nd production run has occurred with the SE Passport? I know the original had some modest initial success which lead to the device having one or two additional production runs.

The SE has been out for a year and I am still a little on the fence a bit as I want to avoid any screen lifting/random restarting issues to occur. I do know that they are rare but of the 4 friends who bought them (2 from CB) had identical issues. The devices were bought and delivered to the same address as they are brothers.

Just wondering if anybody has any idea. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 05:01 PM
    I know the original had some modest initial success which lead to the device having one or two additional production runs.
    Citation please.
    06-22-16 05:31 PM
    I expect Chen to state that Passports are no longer in production just like he stated with the Classic in interviews over the last ER.
    06-22-16 05:40 PM
    Citation please.

The initial build for the 1st Passport was in the 200-300k units but the pre-orders and other sales resulted in that allotment being sold very very quickly.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...service=mobile

Subsequently I believe a 2nd production run was ordered and I recall hearing on a conference call with the investment community. BlackBerry had stated it's production lead time or something had been reduced to 4 weeks from 6 and a lot of units were being sold and delivered for the holiday season. This call would have been Q2 or 3 of fiscal 2015 I believe.

In any event the Passport has sold reasonably well but the frustrating thing for a lot of people was the positive press it received, strong initial sales and then all of a sudden customers couldn't even place an order for one. At least let people pay for a unit and try to estimate delivery a few weeks down the line. Ahh well.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 05:42 PM
    I never had any issues with my gen 1 Passport. It's been a solid piece of technology since the day I got it. No screen lifting, no sticky keys, no hardware failure etc etc you name it. Despite the company's downfall.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-22-16 10:59 PM
    How do you know if you have a first or second run Passport?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 11:27 PM
    How do you know if you have a first or second run Passport?

Posted via CB10
    Manufacture date which can be found on the box generally is the key indicator.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    06-22-16 11:38 PM
    Mine has never restarted or even lagged so far, one good thing about this phone is just this. My brother would joke about it saying it's stable because it doesn't do all the things Android does lol.

The upper left corner of the screen is slightly lifted but I have to watch really close to notice it. It must be a matter of a fraction of a millimeter... it doesn't bother me, any other device I've owned has had manufacturing imperfections somewhere.

The keyboard has less light in the middle, again not a huge problem for me, even though it surprised me when I first found out.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-16 05:24 AM
    I have 2, 1 OG and 1 SE, no problems with either, both purchased when first available.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-16 05:46 AM

Date on the box is the packaging date not the manufacture date.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-23-16 06:36 AM
    i doubt the SE got a 2nd run honestly. It was only for a specific market initially though so they might have made a 2nd batch since it caught on elsewhere
    06-23-16 06:40 AM

That's the boxing date. Not manufacture date.
    So in reality there's no real way to tell what production run your Passport is. I don't even believe there was more than one run.

Unless someone can prove otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-16 08:30 AM
    In any event the Passport has sold reasonably well but the frustrating thing for a lot of people was the positive press it received, strong initial sales and then all of a sudden customers couldn't even place an order for one. At least let people pay for a unit and try to estimate delivery a few weeks down the line. Ahh well.
    ShopBlackBerry hasn't been good with estimates and when they /do/ put out estimates of weeks, people would still be upset over not having immediate availability, as in, "How could BlackBerry have planned the launch so poorly? Not produced enough for demand!" etc... BlackBerry had a very hard lesson with the Z10...
    06-23-16 08:26 PM
    I doubt there was a 2nd run loll

It was already a year old and only available direct from BlackBerry.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-23-16 10:22 PM
    Two passports in the family. One OG since Jan, 2015 and one SE since Nov 2015. No issues whatsoever.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-16 12:05 AM
    I doubt there was a 2nd run either... SE was a device that BlackBerry got stuck with. While many here love it, few on the outside world even knows the SE exists. I think if they had $10 million to invest in a production run... that $10 Million would have been better spent on the Classic and LEAP, the fleet devcies that we know they have sold in bulk.
    06-24-16 07:07 AM