I hope all is well and wish everyone a very fulfilling Holiday Season!

I have been using an OG Passport since its launch. The Battery Life seems to have degraded significantly from what it originally was! However, the Passport is still a pleasure to work with! I just bought another OG Passport from the local official BlackBerry Store in Dubai - hoping to continue with the Passport Experience for some more time! My primary usage revolves around emails, phone, text messages, browser, remember, calendar, BBM - and, WhatsApp (till it stays available on the BlackBerry Platform!)

I am planning to initially use the new Passport just for browsing use and email - to let the battery settle in etc. I hope that this could become the new 'daily driver' soon. In the meantime, I have some basic questions since I have never used 2 BlackBerry phones in a 'live' manner simultaneously!

1. As an interim measure, can I share the same BlackBerry ID for both the phones? What are the implications on Apps if the same BlackBerry ID is used in both the Phones?
    2. I presume I can configure and use email (Outlook, Yahoo and Gmail) on both the phones simultaneously without any issue?
    3. What is the best way to transfer data from the Old Phone to the New Phone - contacts, calendar, documents, photos etc. I presume Device Switch and/or Link are possible options - are there any 'gotchas' that I should be aware before using any of these options or are there any other recommended methods?

Thanks.
    Last edited by AshokGov; 11-27-16 at 01:59 PM.
    11-27-16 08:28 AM
    11-28-16 08:04 AM
    And I would use Link to backup the old device and restore to the new device.
    11-28-16 08:06 AM
    Thanks for the Link!
    11-28-16 11:23 AM
    Thanks for the Advice!
    11-28-16 11:28 AM
    Hi. Are there any 'issues' that could arise when using Link to Back-up from one Passport and Restoring to another Passport? - for example, transmitting some Software glitches from an aged Passport to a new one? Fundamentally, I want to transfer locally stored information for Contacts, Calendars and Remember Notes - would Link be the best option for these?

Thanks!
    12-08-16 07:30 AM
    I have also been considering using two OGs. What do I need to do to a second brand new passport before using link to backup my old one and restore to the new one? Can this be done with the new one right out of the box or do I need to first set up the new one using my existing BBID and let it download any OS upgrades,etc before I run restore. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    12-08-16 07:46 AM
    Hi. Are there any 'issues' that could arise when using Link to Back-up from one Passport and Restoring to another Passport? - for example, transmitting some Software glitches from an aged Passport to a new one? Fundamentally, I want to transfer locally stored information for Contacts, Calendars and Remember Notes - would Link be the best option for these?Thanks!
    Link is the BlackBerry solution, it backs up nearly everything, including Password Keeper, and it is straightforward and easy when it is working for you. There are third-party apps, each with pluses and minuses, and none will back up Password Keeper. The thrid-party apps are the way to go if you have trouble with Link and can't resolve it. None will backup everything that Link backs up. You can set password keeper to backup to the BlackBerry cloud. It is possible to have a corrupt database or setting and transfer that problem to another device when you restore. That is why when troubleshooting and you get to the step of reloading the OS you want to test before you restore and add apps. But it's nothing to be afraid of. If you aren't having trouble then the restore is unlikely to create problems. If you do have problems, then troubleshoot, and worst case is you wipe or do a clean restore and try selective restores. If you want to be a belt and suspenders kind of guy, you can backup with Link and backup using a third-party app.
    12-08-16 08:54 AM
    I have also been considering using two OGs. What do I need to do to a second brand new passport before using link to backup my old one and restore to the new one? Can this be done with the new one right out of the box or do I need to first set up the new one using my existing BBID and let it download any OS upgrades,etc before I run restore. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    You will have to log in on the new device and set it up. There may be parts of the setup you can skip, but I have done it all. If you just connect the device to Link right out of the box, Link will tell you to set it up, and it won't let you restore.

Be sure you use same BlackBerry ID as in restore file.

Also, backup old device beforehand. Don't wipe or anything until you have new device squared away.
    12-08-16 08:59 AM
    Link is the BlackBerry solution, it backs up nearly everything, including Password Keeper, and it is straightforward and easy when it is working for you. There are third-party apps, each with pluses and minuses, and none will back up Password Keeper. The thrid-party apps are the way to go if you have trouble with Link and can't resolve it. None will backup everything that Link backs up. You can set password keeper to backup to the BlackBerry cloud. It is possible to have a corrupt database or setting and transfer that problem to another device when you restore. That is why when troubleshooting and you get to the step of reloading the OS you want to test before you restore and add apps. But it's nothing to be afraid of. If you aren't having trouble then the restore is unlikely to create problems. If you do have problems, then troubleshoot, and worst case is you wipe or do a clean restore and try selective restores. If you want to be a belt and suspenders kind of guy, you can backup with Link and backup using a third-party app.
    Thanks for a detailed explanation! A quick question - before BB10, in the days of Bold etc (BlackBerry OS 5 to 7?), we had BlackBerry Protect where we could schedule back-ups etc (which is done by Link in BB 10). When I switched on protect in the old Passport 2 years back, it mentioned that I had data backed up from an earlier environment and whether I wanted to restore it - when I chose 'yes', it restored my Contacts, Password Keeper etc on the Passport. I have got the same prompt now on the new Passport. In your opinion, would a Restore from Protect (relative to a Restore from Link) help in avoiding transmitting any Software Glitches to the new Passport (of course, subject to the data being dated!)?

And, I looked at Link for the options for Back-up and Restore - after going into Custom to define the databases that I could select or de-select, I couldn't see Password Keeper and Remember as separate options. Are they implicitly embedded in some other option?

Thanks!
    12-08-16 11:55 AM
    Thanks for a detailed explanation! A quick question - before BB10, in the days of Bold etc (BlackBerry OS 5 to 7?), we had BlackBerry Protect where we could schedule back-ups etc (which is done by Link in BB 10). When I switched on protect in the old Passport 2 years back, it mentioned that I had data backed up from an earlier environment and whether I wanted to restore it - when I chose 'yes', it restored my Contacts, Password Keeper etc on the Passport. I have got the same prompt now on the new Passport. In your opinion, would a Restore from Protect (relative to a Restore from Link) help in avoiding transmitting any Software Glitches to the new Passport (of course, subject to the data being dated!)?And, I looked at Link for the options for Back-up and Restore - after going into Custom to define the databases that I could select or de-select, I couldn't see Password Keeper and Remember as separate options. Are they implicitly embedded in some other option?Thanks!
    I'm surprised you see the Protect option to restore with the 2nd new BB10 device. Mu understanding is that this was a one-time restore for users newly switching from BBOS to BB10. But it is what it is. Personally, a lot changed for me since I switched to BB10. No question for me, I backed up old with Link and restored to new. Link doesn't have the capability to select individual databases the way we could to with the BBOS Desktop Software. Refer to How to backup and restore data to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone using BlackBerry Link I would expect Password Keeper data is in Device Settings and Local Contact/Calendar Data. I wouldn't worry. Try which ever way you think best. You can always start over if you don't like the way it turns out, and do it the other way. Personally, if Link is working for you, I would use Link.
    12-08-16 12:11 PM
    I'm surprised you see the Protect option to restore with the 2nd new BB10 device. Mu understanding is that this was a one-time restore for users newly switching from BBOS to BB10. But it is what it is. Personally, a lot changed for me since I switched to BB10. No question for me, I backed up old with Link and restored to new. Link doesn't have the capability to select individual databases the way we could to with the BBOS Desktop Software. Refer to How to backup and restore data to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone using BlackBerry Link I would expect Password Keeper data is in Device Settings and Local Contact/Calendar Data. I wouldn't worry. Try which ever way you think best. You can always start over if you don't like the way it turns out, and do it the other way. Personally, if Link is working for you, I would use Link.
    Thanks again for your detailed response! I was also surprised to see the Restore Option for the old Protect data now!! Link does work for me! As you say, the best way is to just do it - and, hopefully, it should be ok! There is always the option to reset and redo, if needed!

Once again, thanks!
    12-08-16 12:30 PM
    Link will transmit all software glitches. Youre better off starting from zero if you want to avoid issues. My passport battery life after two years is as good as day 1, the only difference is android apps use battery more than other apps and I'm using some more than I used to at first

Posted via CB10
    12-08-16 12:44 PM
    Not really called the OG by BlackBerry.
    12-09-16 12:19 AM
    I use three BlackBerry 10 devices, two Passports and one Q10, sharing the same BlackBerry ID, with the same setups and email configuration. They all work well. The only thing that makes difference is the BBM, which can be run on only one device at a time.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-16 02:46 AM
    I use three BlackBerry 10 devices, two Passports and one Q10, sharing the same BlackBerry ID, with the same setups and email configuration. They all work well. The only thing that makes difference is the BBM, which can be run on only one device at a time.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. I'm using a Z10 and a Passport at the same with one BlackBerry ID. My Z is in charge of calls and sms while the PP is for everything.

Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky
    12-09-16 06:57 AM