Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Porsche Design team was responsible for a majority of the exterior design of the P'9981.
    So I agree that in practical use some of the design choices were questionable, but I feel that Porsche Design is more on the hook for the failings design-wise.

RIM can be on the hook for internals as they would have final say on that, which, at the moment, I can only half-fault for not pushing the envelope to make it more then the 9900 spec-wise.
    10-19-12 10:18 AM
    Sad to hear this but holding a Blackberry is an embarrassment !!! They have only themselves to blame. All I sum up are 2 words - Complacency and Disconnected BlackBerry Becoming the Embarrassment of the Smartphone World

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/te....html?_r=2&hp&
    Last edited by HK Low; 10-19-12 at 09:25 PM.
    10-19-12 08:48 PM
    Sad to hear this but holding a Blackberry is an embarrassment !!! They have only themselves to blame. All I sum up are 2 words - Complacency and Disconnected BlackBerry Becoming the Embarrassment of the Smartphone World

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/te....html?_r=2&hp&
    Wow..this article went so viral...today is the first time I get to read the whole article...for some reason yeah it's true that competing against other smartphone like iPhones and android performance-wise such as speed of browsing, Blackberry is quite behind, I'm saying this based on personal experience and yeah I'm a proud owner of blackberry. But every smartphone got flaws, there is no "perfect" smartphone, because people don't have the same exact needs, everyone is different from one another therefore their needs are also different. Blackberries regardless of its position in the market still got something that iPhone and android doesn't, to my point of view it'll be my security and privacy regarding my datas and personal info. I don't need games, entertainment..my 4s serves me with that..I want productivity, business, security and use friendly typing companion so ill keep rocking my blackberry...proud owner and will always be What people think about your P'9981-imageuploadedbycb-forums1350735572.769038.jpg
    10-20-12 07:19 AM
    CGORO2, you are right !! I share similar usage pattern as you....do not play games, don't need much of the entertainment features. All I need is my email, WhatsApp and BBM. So looking at my P'9981, I am still in love with it. Such a beautifully crafted phone........in fact one of the more value for money luxury smartphones in the market compare to Vertu Constellation etc.
    10-20-12 09:33 AM
    CGORO2, you are right !! I share similar usage pattern as you....do not play games, don't need much of the entertainment features. All I need is my email, WhatsApp and BBM. So looking at my P'9981, I am still in love with it. Such a beautifully crafted phone........in fact one of the more value for money luxury smartphones in the market compare to Vertu Constellation etc.
    That's true!!! We people communicate in a different way to others where they need games and entertainment while communicating, we don't need extra stuff we just need a straight on communication, quick touch and type and send (no offense to other smartphone users thats reading this) that's all we need, there's nothing that can beat a long typing issues other than blackberry...
    10-20-12 08:01 PM
    I have always wanted this blackberry, but I am like 13. Is this phone truly good for the money, or is it a rip-off?
    10-20-12 08:26 PM
    I have always wanted this blackberry, but I am like 13. Is this phone truly good for the money, or is it a rip-off?
    To be honest the phone is not different from a blackberry 9900 which has a big significance price-wise from the P9981. It's just that the P9981 is a limited edition and in the luxury range, also the fact that its been designed by Porsche Design plays a big contribution on the phone. But practically you can experience the same as you use a Bold 9900

So to sum up your question it could be both

1. worth the money- for people who really are dedicated and like the exclusive experience they get from the handset, valued the brand and willing to save for it.

2. rip off because even though the phone is a luxury piece there are still some problems and issues associated to both in software and hardware in which I had encountered myself. The question is the price value, the handset like what I said before is no different than a blackberry bold 9900 which is more in a friendly consumer price and can be purchased from your phone shops or with 2 years contract. It serves me well too and the keyboard is superb.

From my point of view I would say its worth the money for me because it does the job and gives me exactly what I need in both business and personal terms. If you're a fan of entertainment, apps and games though blackberry probably won't be that good for it. That's where an iPod could come in as an entertainment device for blackberry users
    dobermans rule likes this.
    10-20-12 08:40 PM
    To be honest the phone is not different from a blackberry 9900 which has a big significance price-wise from the P9981. It's just that the P9981 is a limited edition and in the luxury range, also the fact that its been designed by Porsche Design plays a big contribution on the phone. But practically you can experience the same as you use a Bold 9900

So to sum up your question it could be both

1. worth the money- for people who really are dedicated and like the exclusive experience they get from the handset, valued the brand and willing to save for it.

2. rip off because even though the phone is a luxury piece there are still some problems and issues associated to both in software and hardware in which I had encountered myself. The question is the price value, the handset like what I said before is no different than a blackberry bold 9900 which is more in a friendly consumer price and can be purchased from your phone shops or with 2 years contract. It serves me well too and the keyboard is superb.

From my point of view I would say its worth the money for me because it does the job and gives me exactly what I need in both business and personal terms. If you're a fan of entertainment, apps and games though blackberry probably won't be that good for it. That's where an iPod could come in as an entertainment device for blackberry users
    I completely agree !! All luxury items are delicate items to provide for refinement, looks and the feel of prestige. For die hard Blackberry users, we love our Blackberry and with the added brand name of Porsche Design into a Blackberry, there couldn't be another Blackberry we would want. We have both a Blackberry as well as a luxury phone (so worth the money).

If you look at this article, you will find that Porsche Design Blackberry the the most cost efficient luxury smartphone in the market >> 10 expensive luxury smartphones that you'll probably never own

To answer your question if it is a rip off, the minute you buy a branded product you have already been ripped off but you do it in the know and you are happy paying for it. On teh aother hand, one cannot say that Ostentatious goods are rip offs because it is a willing buyer decision.
    10-20-12 10:40 PM
    Hi folks: I have just purchased one from the Porsche Design store in Toronto. So far, I am quite pleased with it. It seems to me that RIm has fixed some of the issues mentioned in this forum, such as the uneven keyboard lighting and the loose battery cover. It does feel rather sturdy. I anticipate that I will have several years of enjoyment from the use of it. I am in agreement with you guys about the use of it, as I will be using it mainly for communication purposes.
    10-20-12 11:05 PM
    Some guy was selling his for 700 cash on kijiji lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-20-12 11:48 PM
    Hi folks: I have just purchased one from the Porsche Design store in Toronto. So far, I am quite pleased with it. It seems to me that RIm has fixed some of the issues mentioned in this forum, such as the uneven keyboard lighting and the loose battery cover. It does feel rather sturdy. I anticipate that I will have several years of enjoyment from the use of it. I am in agreement with you guys about the use of it, as I will be using it mainly for communication purposes.
    Yes the new units are far better than those first units that hit the market, the loose battery cove and uneven lighting. My first one broke and had to organize a repair service, they ended up changing it for a brand new one which I believe is one of the newest built units that no longer has the loose battery cover, I must say there's no major improvement with the uneven lighting but oh we'll it doesn't really bother me anyway, my main concern is just the loose cover as it feels weird in the hand. Over all I'm satisfied and it's worth spending for I'm just hoping that this new model wouldn't not break again otherwise ill be devastated...

Congrats on your new porsche phone!! welcome to the club
    10-21-12 12:52 AM
    Some guy was selling his for 700 cash on kijiji lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    wow it's too good to be true though...
    10-21-12 12:53 AM
    Thanks. Your warm welcome is much appreciated. I already feel a sense of belonging.

Yes the new units are far better than those first units that hit the market, the loose battery cove and uneven lighting. My first one broke and had to organize a repair service, they ended up changing it for a brand new one which I believe is one of the newest built units that no longer has the loose battery cover, I must say there's no major improvement with the uneven lighting but oh we'll it doesn't really bother me anyway, my main concern is just the loose cover as it feels weird in the hand. Over all I'm satisfied and it's worth spending for I'm just hoping that this new model wouldn't not break again otherwise ill be devastated...

Congrats on your new porsche phone!! welcome to the club [/QUOTE]
    10-21-12 03:22 AM
    Everyone, thanks for the information. Congratulations on your phones, and I hope everything goes well.
    10-21-12 07:19 AM
    I recently met a girl at a house party from Ibiza. She recognized my BB and congratulated me on it, lol!

Posted via Q10 ?
    08-21-14 01:24 PM
    I just got my black matte porsche p9981 and getting tons of compliments. the device feels super premium and totally digging the whole experience. the cradle, the unboxing, the unique pin. I'm definitely pleased.
    MaxxxBerry23 likes this.
    09-25-14 11:06 PM
    I just got my black matte porsche p9981 and getting tons of compliments. the device feels super premium and totally digging the whole experience. the cradle, the unboxing, the unique pin. I'm definitely pleased.
    Congratulations! Let me know if you'd like an invite to the BBM Owners Group!
    10-01-14 08:47 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD