Any news of this phone yet? It is the 27th!
    10-27-11 05:26 AM
    Not sure myself, but I believe that is a photoshop mock up on the CB page.
    The sources they based that article upon shows the "Proceeding" on devices you can see are real.
    I'm sure they would/should replace that with BlackBerry or Porsche though.
    That "Proceeding" seems out of place to me.
    Porsche designed BlackBerry | t-break: Tech @ Its Fastest
    RIM unveiling Porsche design BlackBerry on 27th October | BlackBerry India
    I am almost certain that you'll see the Porsche replace the Proceeding

Porsche and Proceeding share 5 of 7 letters. BlackBerry? Not so much.
    10-27-11 05:28 AM
    This has been posted by BerryReview:

BlackBerry Porsche P’9981 to Officially Be Sold By Porsche Later This Year - BerryReview

Well that Porsche Design BlackBerry finally has a name. It looks like RIM is calling it the BlackBerry Porsche P’9981. It is similar to the BlackBerry Bold 9900 but is built with stainless steel keypad and front and a leather back. They also get a unique PIN number starting with 2AA along with a custom Porsche font and redesigned icons. We have not spotted anything official on RIM’s website yet but CNews Russia and BB.in managed to score some details and pictures.

Supposedly the Porsche Design P’9981 will be available at Porsche Design Stores before the end of the year. Are you going to pick one up? Anybody want to guess how much one of these will set you back?

The device was announced at a special event in Dubai and @ajafarali snagged two shots:

10-27-11 06:53 AM
    These will probably be at full price and supported by a late-carrier like Rogers. I'd like one for the BB Collection. Pleased to see that they've kept the leather backing-- it really added a nice touch to the 9700 and seems to be a premium thing I'll end up doing myself to my 9900.

Would I walk around with this? Not a chance. It's just bait for people to flame from BlackBerry and Apple alike. I'm not senior enough to be a martyr for RIM just yet...
    10-27-11 07:06 AM
    Here is a hands-on courtesy of Abbas Jaffar Ali of tbreak.com:

Check out the video by following the link:

http://tbreak.com/tech/2011/10/hands...ckberry-p9981/

Hands-on with the Porsche designed BlackBerry P9981
    By Abbas Jaffar Ali on October 27, 2011

With a stainless steel frame and a leather back, it is surely a premium handset.

RIM and Porsche jointly took the wraps of the new P�9981 in Dubai today and we were there to bring you a hands-on with the device. There were some pictures floating on the web and honestly, I wasn�t too impressed but when that pretty much changes as soon as hold the unit in your hand. It is an extremely premium version of the BlackBerry Bold 9900 with a forged stainless steel frame and a hand-wrapped leather back. Take a look at it in the video.

Each of the P�9981 units will come with a BBM PIN that starts with 2AA and in the box you will also see a premium headset and a desktop cradle- both of which look great and are pictured below. The price for the P�9981 is going to be roughly US$2000 which definitely makes it a little too much for most of us but I can honestly see BlackBerry totting celebreties showing off the P�9981. The unit will be available in restricted quantities at Porsche design stores and selected outlets.
    The keys look a little uncomfortable but honestly aren�t as bad as I thought they would be. Otherwise, it is the similar BlackBerry 9900 experience. Some more pictures of the P�9981. Let us know if you have any questions in the comments below and we�ll try and get them answered for you.

10-27-11 07:40 AM
    Thanks.

That's $2000 US I don't have LOL. Reminds me of an old generation sony ericsson back in the k700i days. Nice to see that they brought back a styling cue from the 9000's leather back. That was a sexy back.
    Last edited by rcheung135; 10-27-11 at 07:49 AM.
    10-27-11 07:46 AM
    I still don't like the look of it, but it does look quite a lot better in those new pics.

As far as what carriers, maybe it will only be sold direct or via Porsche locations in most countries, presumably an obvious exception would be that they will be selling it in the UAE since it launched there.
    10-27-11 09:34 AM
    I thought it was ugly when I first saw it. I now think it is one sexy design after seeing it multiple times and seeing the new video and pictures. I think it is a great option to add in the market as long as it is priced reasonably. They just need to move faster in my mind, put out some sexier devices, and put out a real competitive touch screen device!
    10-28-11 06:26 AM
    10-31-11 08:58 PM
    Too much money for a phone.
    11-28-11 10:38 PM
    I always understood a person wanting a $20,000 Gold Rolex instead of a $2,500 Stainless Omega. I can't really put my finger on it, but I just can't seem to understand the attraction to this phone.
    11-28-11 10:45 PM
    It is easy for us to speak negatively of, to criticize, and to judge something from afar, especially when it lies outside our boundaries of taste, acquisition, experience, understanding or perception.

The P'9981 has a Teutonic and technical design which is professional and prominent, yet, elegant in its simplicity, its cleanness, and its mixture of hard-edged and smooth surfaces, all of which are characteristics of Porsche.

Blackberry products, to me, are an 'acquired taste'. There is a unique feel, style, and characteristic to their products that you either love or loath, and with their recent designs, especially the 9900, there is a strong sense of 'form follows function', this exact characteristic being one of the primary core approaches Porsche has to its engineering and design capabilities makes Blackberry an ideal choice and I think they did an excellent job with it.

If the P'9981 has an operating system or operational design truly similar to the Bold 9900, this Blackberry will be one of the best phones under the RIM umbrella even with its hefty price tag which is suiting to the phone, as it is not a phone for the masses.

I certainly hope that the quality of the P'9981's external and internal components, including bulletproof operating and auxiliary systems, will reflect that of Porsche products as this would complete the project and give justice to Blackberry and to the P'9981 as it seems the current smartphones from RIM have been slightly short of this bar.

Maybe it is because in my eyes, Blackberry is the best smartphone, or, maybe it is because Porsche is the ultimate sports car (or the Ultimate Car. Period.) that I say what I have said above, but, I honestly sense that if we were given the chance to experience this phone, we would all wish to have a P'9981 to call our own.
    Last edited by FS.9900; 12-24-11 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Post was moved to this thread as it is more suitable.
    steiale, enwsiths and filoinstyle like this.
    12-24-11 08:56 AM
    I'd get one if i drove a porsche, too bad i dont like porsches.
    01-13-12 08:23 AM
    I'm just going to assume the 'leaked' pic is a fake, or some failed prototype and the new one will actually be a reasonable looking phone.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    WoW gold|Diablo 3 Gold|kaufen Guild Wars 2 gold
    12-24-12 04:50 AM
    I'm just going to assume the 'leaked' pic is a fake, or some failed prototype and the new one will actually be a reasonable looking phone.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    WoW gold|Diablo 3 Gold|kaufen Guild Wars 2 gold
    What do you mean? Porsche Design is already available at the market and it is the same as what we see on first post of this thread.
    12-24-12 05:00 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD