10-20-11 11:24 AM
    May all the gods from every religion be with them if they miss that by as little as one day.
    10-20-11 11:25 AM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    The Porsche Brand is world famous and there is a huge base.....

Don't be too quick to dismiss this niche marketing initiative .....

...having said that ... nothing beats the Bold 9900!!!!
    Wretch 12 likes this.
    10-20-11 11:28 AM
    It's also posted on CB's News page.

Off-hand, my first impression was that the keys looked very flat and like they'd be crazy hard to use. Wasn't especially impressed with the rest of the overall look either, but I guess the Porsche name will bring some interest and cachet.
    10-20-11 11:30 AM
    Porche? No no, for some reason to me this screams Tron!

I think it's the little lines on the corners of the keys.
    10-20-11 11:37 AM
    Porche? No no, for some reason to me this screams Tron!

I think it's the little lines on the corners of the keys.
    Good call! +1, for sure.

And the design seems to me to be at odds with what I'd usually associate with Porsche's smooth curves, flowing feel, and appealing lines. To me, the Porsche BB seems choppy and harsh. Probably wouldn't do very well in a wind tunnel, either.
    10-20-11 11:51 AM
    Lock your ugly mutant child in the basement so no one ever sees him!
    10-20-11 11:53 AM
    What's with the "Proceeding" engraved above the screen?
    10-20-11 12:03 PM
    I think it's because they are proceeding with releasing such an ulgy device.
    10-20-11 02:02 PM
    Not sure (maybe a European retailer or carrier??), but it's not in the photo shown in the CB News article:
    Porsche designed BlackBerry to be officially announced October 27th | CrackBerry.com
    10-20-11 02:06 PM
    so wheres the matching playbook??
    10-20-11 02:12 PM
    The Porsche Brand is world famous and there is a huge base.....Don't be too quick to dismiss this niche marketing initiative .....
    Obviously Porsche saw RIM needed help.

Seriously, Porsche Design is just a marketing outlet to promote the Porsche brand by offering Porsche branded accessories. Several of their products are beautifully designed and overpriced, but fail in functionality. A good example was the 2009 Porsche Phone that Wired magazine said:

You can get away with a lot if you�re beautiful. Such is the case with the new Porsche Design P�9522 phone. In some ways, it�s a wonderful and capable cellphone, but in most others, it�s dumber than the gorgeous block of aluminum it was machined from.
    And yes, I do own a Porsche.
    10-20-11 02:18 PM
    Porsche cars are great looking. This thing is hideous. So sad that this is being released at a time RIM is getting hammered for their offerings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-11 05:42 PM
    The only thing I see associating with porsche is the brand name that's not even on the phone. It'll most likely be on the top to replace "Proceeding".

Just following in the steps of Adidas.
    10-20-11 07:40 PM
    That thing is hideous. I'm sorry but I just don't get the appeal even considering the exclusivity. It's so flat and lifeless.
    10-20-11 08:07 PM
    I have to agree, it's not so...attractive. I would like to get one though, in a few years it may just be a collectors item.
    10-24-11 01:31 PM
    "It is expected to be expensive judging by competing luxury smartphones such as the new TAG Heuer Link smartphone released earlier this year at a reported cost of $6,800 (Dh24,976) each."
    10-24-11 02:29 PM
    Not sure (maybe a European retailer or carrier??), but it's not in the photo shown in the CB News article:
    Porsche designed BlackBerry to be officially announced October 27th | CrackBerry.com
    Not sure myself, but I believe that is a photoshop mock up on the CB page.
    The sources they based that article upon shows the "Proceeding" on devices you can see are real.
    I'm sure they would/should replace that with BlackBerry or Porsche though.
    That "Proceeding" seems out of place to me.
    Porsche designed BlackBerry | t-break: Tech @ Its Fastest
    RIM unveiling Porsche design BlackBerry on 27th October | BlackBerry India
    10-24-11 05:07 PM
    I am hoping that the phone that is unveiled looks nothing like the pics we have seen so far. Remember how the first pics of the Style were ****-ugly but the released phone was not too bad-looking.
    10-24-11 05:21 PM
    I am hoping that the phone that is unveiled looks nothing like the pics we have seen so far. Remember how the first pics of the Style were ****-ugly but the released phone was not too bad-looking.
    Style wasn't changed in design by much, but it is one phone that isn't always the most photogenic.

The phone in the pics isn't, either.

10-24-11 05:46 PM
  21. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Its a niche product and will likely do very well! ....
    10-24-11 09:34 PM
    i don't think it's ugly like how most people have been saying it, but i do wish that the keyboard was a little different.
    10-25-11 01:55 AM
    Well, there's one BB that I would never buy. And if seone gave it to me I'd try to sell it on eBay.
    Who would buy such a hideous looking thing....whoever designed it was def overdosing on Back to the Future marathons.

10-25-11 05:44 AM
    I'm just going to assume the 'leaked' pic is a fake, or some failed prototype and the new one will actually be a reasonable looking phone.

What I do hope for is a re-skinned 9900. I'm all for premium phone brands for those with the cash to splash for them, especially if they're actually good phones! A premium skin of the 9900 would be awesome.

The problem comes in that if the phone isn't for the mass market, it won't develop the accessory after market, which is where the concept falls down IMO.

I just think of Vertu phones as a good example. But I guess if you're dropping $5k on a phone, covering it with a case is probably the last thing going through your head :P.

"Man, I really love this new Vertu, but it keeps falling out of my pants when I get out of my Ferrari! Wish I had an otterbox!" hah

-Dirk

P.s. Didn't get my invite, wtf? I live 5 min from Burj Khalifa - how did they screw that up?? :P
    Last edited by dirksqjaw; 10-25-11 at 09:08 PM.
    10-25-11 09:06 PM
    pretty cool looking, reminds of me of "Back to the Future"
    10-27-11 02:04 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD