so today i just recently discovered that the navigation buttons (the "back" and "hang up" buttons) just randomly losing the backlight. Sometimes it doesnt light up at all and when i turn the phone off it lights up again and after using it couple of time the light turns off. i dont know whats wrong with it but has anybody experienced the same problem?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9981
    09-06-12 05:00 AM
    Omg, this sounds terrible. How can RIM sell such an expensive smartphone with such defects. I keep hearing that at a certain point of time (within 1 year) some parts of the phone will give up. I had mine with a battery leakage problem when the phone is off. Had it exchanged but my frens said that it wasn't a guarantee that that would be the end of my problems.
    filoinstyle likes this.
    09-08-12 07:45 AM
    i know im so upset, it didnt get dropped or anything it just happened for no reason...now the whole navigation buttons arent working bt the trackpad is...so i cant use the phone anymore and had to wait for a RMA package from RIM to send my phone back to them and get inspected. The thing is im in Australia and my phone will be sent to UK for that. Such an inconvenience for me i am very dissapointed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9981
    09-08-12 03:55 PM
    I know it is very frustrating. In Singapore, the RIM Asia Pacific HQ is here. I wrote to them but and they insist I call the number on the card. I did and was told to send the set back to Canada via a collection point in Singapore. I didn't accept their option and insisted they prepare a set for me to do a 1:1 exchange.

Thereafter I tested the set and it was working fine and the set was made in Turkey. A couple of days later RIM Canada sent me an email to offer me a full box exchange and asked me to send my set to Canada and they will send me a new set. I checked with my friends in Canada if sets coming out from Canada are made in Canada, he said "yes" and he advised that I keep my (made in Turkey) set. So I didn't take up the offer to do a full box exchange.

Now I am so afraid to use the 9981 as it doesn't give me the assurance that it is a reliable phone. Can you believe it? I have 2 P'9981 yet I am using the 9780 as my daily phone. This is a testimony of my trust in RIM and the P'9981. Sigh
    filoinstyle likes this.
    09-11-12 08:47 AM
    I know it is very frustrating. In Singapore, the RIM Asia Pacific HQ is here. I wrote to them but and they insist I call the number on the card. I did and was told to send the set back to Canada via a collection point in Singapore. I didn't accept their option and insisted they prepare a set for me to do a 1:1 exchange.

Thereafter I tested the set and it was working fine and the set was made in Turkey. A couple of days later RIM Canada sent me an email to offer me a full box exchange and asked me to send my set to Canada and they will send me a new set. I checked with my friends in Canada if sets coming out from Canada are made in Canada, he said "yes" and he advised that I keep my (made in Turkey) set. So I didn't take up the offer to do a full box exchange.

Now I am so afraid to use the 9981 as it doesn't give me the assurance that it is a reliable phone. Can you believe it? I have 2 P'9981 yet I am using the 9780 as my daily phone. This is a testimony of my trust in RIM and the P'9981. Sigh
    Oh no, this P'9981 issues are really bad if I know this would happen I would've not bought it. They didn't mention any second option but to actually just send my unit to them at UK for repair and they put me on a RMA service procedure which is a hassle and till now I haven't got the return package to put my phone in and send back to them when they said it should be here by now. Should I ring and demand for a 1:1 exchange or just wait for the RMA procedure because I am getting cranky now and my birthday is just days away and unfortunately I wont have my P'9981 with me for a trip. So frustrating I dont know what else to do up to the point of considering on buying another one but it wouldn't be worth it.
    09-11-12 08:53 AM
    i called the number on the back of the card.

i was given 2 options to either send in the phone for repairs, or have RIM send out a brand new headset in 2 business days, with a $1800 hold on my cc until i return the defect phone back to them. Postage was covered both ways.
    09-11-12 10:54 AM
    i called the number on the back of the card.

i was given 2 options to either send in the phone for repairs, or have RIM send out a brand new headset in 2 business days, with a $1800 hold on my cc until i return the defect phone back to them. Postage was covered both ways.
    Would it be a nice move to call them and ask how come I've never given two options and just told me send the phone back for repair?
    09-11-12 03:13 PM
    yes for sure.

their 24hrs support line was very quick and efficient.

I had my issue resolved in less then 10 minutes, followed by a conformation email stating everything.

let me know what happens.
    09-12-12 10:20 AM
    Yes, I think you should kick up a fuss and ask why you were not given other options. Make enuf noise and they will have a replacement set sent to you !st. Raggazzi_07's option is a good way to approach it.

I too am really angry with the service we get with buying this phone.
    09-12-12 10:56 AM
    Got my phone back from the repair facility. Turned out that they replaced my handset for a brand new one but theres no porsche card that came with it to back up my new pin...oh well doesnt matter as long as my phone is back im happy. Hopefully this phone will behave itself and not be suicidal as the other one.
    10-02-12 06:46 AM
    yeah i noticed that as well.

I guess you use the same card as before?
    10-03-12 11:13 AM
    Man, it really sucks that you guys are having such a cruddy time with your phones. I'm lucky enough to say that I have yet to run into these problems and hope I never do. It sucks when there are defects or things break down, but I take it as "it happens" no company is immune to it. It only becomes WTF to me when it happens but the company refuses to acknowledge it.

I'd say RIM is doing the bare minimum it could do. Not great but not terrible either. It's an opportunity lost to go above and beyond, and build back some of that goodwill they've lost these last few years.

That being said, there are far worse examples of companies that sell expensive/luxury items but give terrible customer support.
    10-03-12 02:39 PM
    Hey guys i have big issue with my BB Porsche.
    First 3 days eveything was working ok until backround light went off completely.
    Now is really hard to see menu even when i make picture is really dark.

Any help please??
    11-20-12 06:28 AM
    Hey guys i have big issue with my BB Porsche.
    First 3 days eveything was working ok until backround light went off completely.
    Now is really hard to see menu even when i make picture is really dark.

Any help please??
    so your LCD doesn't light up at all, have I tried rebooting the phone?
    11-21-12 02:26 AM
    Hello everyone! on my 9981 refuses to work the trackpad, after take out the battery everything starts to work, what could be the problem?
    06-19-15 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD