The girl friend is an Yankees fan. When we are out she always pulls out her phone for score updated. Do it would be cool see a live feed of the games.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

03-10-09 05:26 PM
    I may be wrong, but if you run the cable out of the back of the set top box won't you only be able to access the channel that the set top box is tuned to?
    I think that is right. So I would need a card with an IR Blaster to be able to change the channel from my phone/computer.

Fortunately I have a room with a TV and set top box that we dont use much - so I would be fine with that setup.
    03-10-09 06:07 PM
    Speaking of which, does anyone know if its possible to use an IR blaster with Orb?

It seems to me like it would be.

FYI an IR Blaster is a device and program on your computer that allows it to emit Infrared waves - like those from a TV Remote. With a TV Tuner card, they allow you to change the channels from your computer.

It appears Orb is set up for this, but I wanted to know if anyone has tried it...
    03-10-09 06:13 PM
    Remember game 7 of the ALCS in 2003. That was cool. It was like 26 times cooler than 2004. Oh yeah and remember almost every other season since I was a kid and how Boston would lose to the Yankees all the time and how the Yankees would make the playoffs and Boston wouldn't. That was cool too. OHHH yeah and remember this past off season when the Yankees went out and made a bunch of great moves to build their team and Boston acted like pre Theo Boston and sat on their farm system, even after driving away the most dominant player in the game the previous season. Yeah that was so cool. Way off topic I know but I didn't start it. And I'm so excited for baseball. Hey MLB I would pay good money for baseball on my phone. Live full games that is.
    03-10-09 06:58 PM
    Remember game 7 of the ALCS in 2003. That was cool. It was like 26 times cooler than 2004. Oh yeah and remember almost every other season since I was a kid and how Boston would lose to the Yankees all the time and how the Yankees would make the playoffs and Boston wouldn't. That was cool too. OHHH yeah and remember this past off season when the Yankees went out and made a bunch of great moves to build their team and Boston acted like pre Theo Boston and sat on their farm system, even after driving away the most dominant player in the game the previous season. Yeah that was so cool. Way off topic I know but I didn't start it. And I'm so excited for baseball. Hey MLB I would pay good money for baseball on my phone. Live full games that is.
    I wouldnt get that excited. ARod out = third place AGAIN. Plus, rumor out of Yankee camp is that Sabathia just ate himself into a diabetic coma.... and their team defense is atrocious.

Should be a fun year!
    03-10-09 08:38 PM
    Forgive me for the off-topic rant here... but again with the 26? What is it with Yankee fans and their fixation with ancient history? No one cares that the 49ers won 5 Super Bowls. Perhaps I'm biased, but I think the last 5 years are more relevant to how your team is today. And in the last 5 years, Boston has won 2 championships. New York.... 0. And I'd say 2003 was much cooler... I was at Game 7, and it was a joy watching the biggest choke in sports history. Now, I'll give you that the Yankees made some big moves... but we all know how big moves have worked out for the Yankees in the last decade or so. It seems that ever since NY has acquired a certain superstar third baseman, the team doesn't seem to have that success they had back in the 90s. Sometimes the best moves are the ones not made. And what you call "sitting on the farm system" I call "not depleting the farm system" for overpriced and overrated talent. Theo's had a pretty good track record.... and holding onto the likes of Pedroia, Papelbon & Ellsbury seem to have served the team well. And I'd say that Manny drove himself out of town, not the other way around. There's a reason no one, not even Cashman, took a flier on him besides the Dodgers, and that's because he's a horrible team player with a money grubbing agent who held his team hostage.

With that said, we're all ball fans and it should be a great year. And Al, please let us know how things work out. I'm upgrading to the Storm, and would definitely be interested in any way to check out a Sox game easily on it.
    03-11-09 09:13 PM
    Yeah I kinda threw in the 26 as a joking reply to an earlier post but anyway what you said is all true, I just can't help myself. Been a huge Yankee fan for ever and the Arod era has been tough. Quite honestly the free agent market is lame with the new profit sharing agreement and the Yankees are suffering from that until they adjust and grow their own players. Not that that has stopped them from spending boat loads on slightly over the hill players. I love the Boston mentality but despise the team. You were at game 7 in 03? wow. Oh yeah the storm rules blah blah. operating system blah blah iphone comparison blah blah
    03-12-09 03:15 PM
    Sorry dude... it's hard to tell apart the joking from the heated debate sometimes. Hey, I respect your being a longtime fan. I think we both hate the bandwagon riders! You know, I have a feeling Tampa Bay isn't going to be able to match what they did last year.... it's hard to have a great year, it's even harder for a team to put together a string of great years (something I must admit the Yankees have been able to do multiple times). There are so many teams that look good on paper and just don't end up getting it done. My guess is that the Yankees and Sox will be battling each other until the very end.

Oh, and I meant to say I was at Game 7 in 2004, not 2003....Thank God. I think I would have hung myself from the rafters after Wakefield threw that ball down the pike to Aaron Boone! And about Game 7 in '04... I'm obviously a Sox guy, but let me tell you, I sat amongst Yankee fans and was treated with respect... even getting handshakes and pats on the back after the game. I'll never forget that. Of course, had I been sitting in the bleachers with my "B" hat on, it might've been a different story!

Regardless, I do not look forward to facing Sabathia, Burnett & Teixeira. Expensive moves, yes... but it's hard to see how you guys won't improve. May the best team win!

And I cannot wait to get my Storm.... and hopefully, I can find a way to watch some games on it.
    03-12-09 03:49 PM
    I woulld definitely go that route if i could be sure it would work... From everything I read on here SlingPlayer is touchy on the Storm and only works with certain Sling boxes... That scares me. Has anyone been successful with this?

EDIT: That is, anyone with my set up? Verizon Storm, Verizon FIOS TV, etc...
    I have the Slingbox Solo and the Storm 9530. I am sure it works! I use it all the time. It is seamless, you can read all you want here but the fact is that it works! The only thing is that it emulates the Bold or Pearl screen so it doesn't have full screen capability yet. But, IT WORKS!
    03-14-09 06:26 AM
    I went with the TV Tuner - and I am up and running! Everything works perfectly and looks great!
    03-19-09 04:50 PM
    To clarify here is what I did:

- I have a BlackBerry Storm 9500.
    - Im running the .75 OS.
    - I live in Rhode Island
    - My BlackBerry service provider is Verizon Wireless
    - My TV service provider is Verizon

1) I went to Radio Shack and bought the Hauppage WinTV-HVR-850 USB HDTV Adapter. This is a TV Tuner card that connects through your USB port. It costs $79.99 at Radio Shack.

Hauppauge� WinTV-HVR850 USB TV Tuner - RadioShack.com

2) I plugged this into the back USB port of my computer, installed the drivers, installed the WinTV program.

3) I ran a coaxial cable (a simple cable wire) from the TV-VCR out on the back of my set top box (my cable box) to the USB tuner card.

4) Using Orb, I set up my streaming TV connection.

Bam! TV on my Storm.

One caveat - I need to buy an IR blaster for the Tuner card/computer to be able to change the channel remotely. As of now I havent done this (I wanted to make sure it would work at all first). So for now I can only watch whatever channel I leave my TV on. I dont have to actually leave the TV on - just the set top box, but you know what I mean.

Fortunately, my major goal here was to be able to watch Sox games from my phone when I have to work nights. So all I have to do is leave the Cable Box tuned to NESN and leave my computer on (stand by/hibernate works fine).

The quality of video isnt spectacular - but Im still pretty pumped right now!
    03-19-09 05:00 PM
    Two more notes:

1) You can buy cheaper TV Tuner cards, especially ones that fit in PCI or PCI express slots. I prefer the ease of use of a USB version.

2) If you just want to watch your basic cable channels you can simply run a cable wire or split a cable wire into the back of the Tuner and youre in business. The channel I wanted to watch is encrypted. That is, it needs a set top box to decrypt it. OR a cable card - which is a card you can buy from your cable provider (not yet available - supposedly available in June) that is essentially the same as renting another set top box, and cost the same (5$ a month).
    03-19-09 09:03 PM
    I have the Slingbox Solo and the Storm 9530. I am sure it works! I use it all the time. It is seamless, you can read all you want here but the fact is that it works! The only thing is that it emulates the Bold or Pearl screen so it doesn't have full screen capability yet. But, IT WORKS!
    If you dont mind me asking, how did you install this on your phone, slings website doesnt allow PC downloads for BB device and when I try it from my phone it says device not suported
    03-19-09 09:16 PM
    why would you want to watch the redsoxs
    Its all about the yankees
    Bock Foston

H.E.L.L.S. yeah!
    03-20-09 01:09 AM
    now i remember the trouble with my mlb.tv subscription last year - it blacks out ALL of your local games. makes it completely worthless for my purposes. now the gameday audio does no such thing. i see on the site they have a mobile option for the gameday audio for $5 a month, but the normal gameday audio is $15 for the season. anyone ever try to stream this audio to the blackberry?
    03-28-09 08:43 AM
    Last year MLB offered the "mobile web premium" service, which included enhanced GameDay screens AND unlimited audio broadcasts. Every single game, home or away team radio feed (your choice). No blackouts of anything ever (it is radio feed only). Also includes video highlights -- when something happens in ANY game, a pop-up offers a video highlight in (more or less) real time.

It worked PERFECTLY on my Storm I (verizon). Cost: $14.95 for every game, every day, home and away all season plus playoffs.

I know that the iPhone version now includes VIDEO too (subject to local blackout rules based in IP address, and no national broadcasts ever). Not sure of cost but am confident it is more (perhaps $49.99 per season?) Am hoping that gets added to BlackBerry this season but am guessing it is an exclusive arrangement (sad).

Anyhow, I strongly recommend the mobil web premium package -- it's really great.
    Last edited by skmsw; 03-04-10 at 11:36 AM.
    03-04-10 11:33 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD