Just wanted to see if anyone had the low down on why the storm doesn't have games with the same quality and speed as the iphone.
    Don't get me wrong, I love my storm and will no part with it anytime soon. I was using my nephews iphone and I was surprised how much faster the game play is, and how much better the
    The picture quality was. Anyone know if that will be improving on the storm? Or maybe I havn't found the right games.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-09 05:40 PM
    Just wanted to see if anyone had the low down on why the storm doesn't have games with the same quality and speed as the iphone.
    Because the BB uses a java-based OS platform, which is outdated and limits what can be programmed for it.

Hence why everyone is pushing for a new OS overhaul, not just a 5.0 patch-up which is just a short term fix.
    09-29-09 05:47 PM
    due to the limitations of the OS source (java) RIM can not take full advantage of the onboard graphics accelerator. with that enabled who knows how much more the phone would be capable of, or how much of a resource draw it could be...

imo, the blackberry lineup isn't the ace device brand if you're looking for eye candy. function over form. not saying you can't want both, but if that's a major selling point for you maybe you should consider shopping around, or looking into a zune/itouch as a secondary gaming device. i know plenty of people who suppliment their blackberry with an itouch. and they're happy with both devices, each one has its merits and flaws, and IMO one fills in the void spaces of the other in some manner or another.
    09-29-09 06:54 PM
    I will never part with my iPod Touch for this reason. Love my Storm but it's not a gaming platform. Sure I could have gotten an iPhone but that has too many other issues.
    09-30-09 08:12 AM
    I have an ipod touch. The iphone is just a toy. I have the ipod for the games when I'm away.
    09-30-09 08:18 AM
    I really don't know what else to say Patches said it all.
    09-30-09 08:23 AM
    Gues I should get an iphone too.

09-30-09 05:37 PM
    Are there any games that are close?

09-30-09 07:24 PM
    I noticed the same thing, as I have had the iTouch since January and just love the apps on it, so I just downloaded a few games from app world and try to bring my iTouch with me if I'll have some downtime.
    09-30-09 08:50 PM
    The Blob and Tiki towers

also Air Traffic Controller

are easily iphone quality. Great games can be found on the storm. People are learning to code much better for it. The blob actually uses polys for some primitive 3d action. Tiki towers uses some physics processing but isn't always all that smooth. Both look GREAT though and play very well
    10-01-09 10:29 AM
    I has a Zune HD for my accelerated graphics gaming needs. Just hoping that MS gets some great developers working on games.
    10-01-09 11:27 AM
    I has a Zune HD for my accelerated graphics gaming needs. Just hoping that MS gets some great developers working on games.
    have you tried here?
    games

i got a couple games off here. I have been reading more and more about some people trying to port iphone/pod games over to Zune, MS needs to get their app marketplace off NOW

Yeah the berry is definitely limited, if you want games, go ZuneHD (its in its infancy, so its not fleshed out like competitors) or 3rd Gen Ipod Touch.

If you want full blown, omfg this amazing. PSP-GO which i think is out today and DSi are what you want.
    Last edited by devildrifterX; 10-01-09 at 12:59 PM.
    10-01-09 12:53 PM
    have you tried here?
    games

i got a couple games off here. I have been reading more and more about some people trying to port iphone/pod games over to Zune, MS needs to get their app marketplace off NOW

Yeah the berry is definitely limited, if you want games, go ZuneHD (its in its infancy, so its not fleshed out like competitors) or 3rd Gen Ipod Touch.

If you want full blown, omfg this amazing. PSP-GO which i think is out today and DSi are what you want.
    Wow, that guy's made a good deal of simple apps and games. I'm impressed he made a 3D model viewer! I'm feeling good about my ZHD now (not that I haven't been).

Maybe MS will do a holiday release of a few more games. And big name ones too. It'll definitely attract attention for them (even though the ZHD's being sold out all over the place now).

What I really want is to see other companies come out with these non-PSP, DSi level games so they can finally shut up Apple and their smug "only on the iPod/iPhone" commercials.
    10-01-09 02:55 PM
    Wow, that guy's made a good deal of simple apps and games. I'm impressed he made a 3D model viewer! I'm feeling good about my ZHD now (not that I haven't been).

Maybe MS will do a holiday release of a few more games. And big name ones too. It'll definitely attract attention for them (even though the ZHD's being sold out all over the place now).

What I really want is to see other companies come out with these non-PSP, DSi level games so they can finally shut up Apple and their smug "only on the iPod/iPhone" commercials.
    I hope that MS opens up their app store to devs soon, as well as launching world wide with the Zune, but i think they are taking a wait and see approach with US sales first (smart seeing as how they have been getting pizzowned by Apple in PMP sales).

I personally love those commercials, cause when i see people playing games on their iphone and try and show it off to me like i care or im impressed (cause im not in any way), i always say "If i wanted to play video games, id go home and play 360 on my 48 inch Bravia". Feelings are always hurt afterwards lol
    10-02-09 10:31 AM
    if the BB's have a graphics accelerator in them why is it inactive? only thing i can think of is it will effect the performance of the phone.....or could it be that the java based OS is what makes the phone so secure? at the end of the day i guess it boils down to BB targeting a different type of consumer.
    10-02-09 10:53 AM
    if the BB's have a graphics accelerator in them why is it inactive? only thing i can think of is it will effect the performance of the phone.....or could it be that the java based OS is what makes the phone so secure? at the end of the day i guess it boils down to BB targeting a different type of consumer.
    You pretty much answered your own question.

It should be better on battery life as well using graphics acceleration since it would take some of the load off the cpu from doing everything to a chip more efficient for outputting such tasks. This is why the Tegra is a big deal (kinda).

Also, the type of consumer RIM is targeting is the same as every other smart phone maker, if your buying a smartphone they want it to be theirs and they want a model for every possible segment of the market (Flip, Pearl, Curve, Storm, Bold). Apple has done well with the iPhone but im sure they know some people just WILL NOT give up a keyboard, and i expect Apple to eventually drop a model to capture that segment of qwerty keyboard users.
    10-02-09 11:07 AM
    I hope that MS opens up their app store to devs soon, as well as launching world wide with the Zune, but i think they are taking a wait and see approach with US sales first (smart seeing as how they have been getting pizzowned by Apple in PMP sales).

I personally love those commercials, cause when i see people playing games on their iphone and try and show it off to me like i care or im impressed (cause im not in any way), i always say "If i wanted to play video games, id go home and play 360 on my 48 inch Bravia". Feelings are always hurt afterwards lol
    The more I see those commercials, the more I realize that it's really just a commercial for the devs of those games. And the more I realize that there are zero commercials for the iPhone for its primary purpose: as a phone. And zero commercials for the iPod for the reason it was created: as a music player.

Sure no other device can touch them on the apps for now, but that's about the only thing Apple has going for them. Everyone else is catching up (and exceeding in places) on all fronts right now.

Functionally, there isn't a single thing that the iPhone can do that my Storm can't. None. It may not be as pretty, but the Storm can do it. The only leg up Apple has is the extras the apps give it.

Once RIM comes out with a device that can do 3D games and MS opens up its Marketplace to public dev submitions, Apple won't have the app leg to stand on any more.
    Last edited by Zipster; 10-02-09 at 11:18 AM.
    10-02-09 11:15 AM
    Yeah thats pretty much the main selling point right now on their ipod, "Buy our ****, even though you prolly have 3 ipods already! It plays gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaames!!!!" As a phone in a metropolis, its ******* horrible lol, in Daytona iphones are fine, go to Orlando and you are bound to drop a few calls.

RIM has a lot of work to do, and it will be a year or two before i think we see something that makes everyone say "Oh sh*t this is going to be amazing" and not just the blackberry addicts.

MS, Palm, and Google are bringing some serious heat, id say Apple loses its momentum unless they bring out another device and innovates in another space (namely their software, same sh*t for 2 years...wtf is multitasking at?) of cell phones we havent yet seen.
    10-02-09 11:39 AM
    Maybe people will realize how terrible the ipod/phone line is at actually playing music.

nahhhh people love being sheep

I just hope google continues to encroach on apple's hard policy lines
    10-02-09 11:54 AM
    The ZHD's already got the hardware and the "OS". All it needs is the apps.

BBs already are climbing in the amount of apps, since App World was released a few months ago. All it needs is an OS that can take advantage of 3D acceleration.

Even if the Apple fanboys don't want to admit it, a lot of companies are starting to get to the doorstep of Apple's house.

In hindsight, knowing how big of a disappointment the Apple Music Event was, if MS had done a similar event the day of the ZHD's release, it would have helped expose it much more in the media.

Debute the ZHD, show off its capabilities, its pricing points, a glimpse of games and apps being developed, and a bit of a roadmap as to MS's future plans regarding the games and apps. Very straight-forward and it would have blown the Apple event away!
    10-02-09 12:10 PM
    Maybe people will realize how terrible the ipod/phone line is at actually playing music.

nahhhh people love being sheep

I just hope google continues to encroach on apple's hard policy lines
    I'm a pro ($$/full time) musician and I make a good bit of my living from being able to listen to music on my ipod (hours and hours.. but i digress). What's wrong with it?
    10-11-09 05:43 PM
    the audio quality leaves much to be desired, especially without headphones...the speaker sucks balls!
    10-11-09 11:02 PM
    Damn the Apple hate is strong, oh well Apple is still waiting for someone to come and steal their momentum, lol.
    10-13-09 09:08 AM
    The ZHD's already got the hardware and the "OS". All it needs is the apps.

BBs already are climbing in the amount of apps, since App World was released a few months ago. All it needs is an OS that can take advantage of 3D acceleration.

Even if the Apple fanboys don't want to admit it, a lot of companies are starting to get to the doorstep of Apple's house.

In hindsight, knowing how big of a disappointment the Apple Music Event was, if MS had done a similar event the day of the ZHD's release, it would have helped expose it much more in the media.

Debute the ZHD, show off its capabilities, its pricing points, a glimpse of games and apps being developed, and a bit of a roadmap as to MS's future plans regarding the games and apps. Very straight-forward and it would have blown the Apple event away!
    But they didn't do that, did they?
    10-13-09 09:09 AM
    But they didn't do that, did they?
    Of course they didn't. MS and Apple like opposites. MS can come up with great technology, but they suck at marketing it. I seriously think that the vast majority of us could do a better job than MS's marketing team. Apple, on the other hand, has brilliantly marketed technology that has already been leapfroged by other companies.

Admit it or not, the iPhone hardware isn't exactly "cutting-edge" anymore, compared to what's out there. Apple marketing just floods the screens with their products to push out knowledge of any other brand. As much of a bully tactic as it is, it works. But when was the last time you saw a commercial showcasing the abilities of the iPhone itself? All I've seen lately is the "75,000 apps" commercials. To me, it's just saying that the iPhone and iPod are zombie husks and the apps are like the organism that takes it over to make it dance, wiggle, fart, show directions, or what have you.

There's a MS rep over at the anythingbutipod site that's been answering a lot of ZHD user questions and he seems to be indicating that around the Black Friday shopping season, they'll start pushing the advertising and release of newer games and apps.

So far, the games released are on-par with games I've seen on the iPhone/iPod. I'm willing to wait the month and reserve my overall judgement until then.
    10-13-09 09:25 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD