What games are available for the torch and how do they compare to the iphone 4?
    10-16-10 05:16 PM
    The Torch is not a gaming phone. I'm not going to go into a full list of game comparisons, but if games are your interest the Torch isn't going to satisfy. It doesn't even support OpenGL...

The best BB for games is the Storm2 and it is still lagging well behind the iPhone and Android devices in that department.
    10-16-10 05:35 PM
    WordRival is a good game. It is the same as iPhones Words with friends.
    10-16-10 05:52 PM
    No one is buying a Torch for its outstanding game selection.
    10-16-10 06:14 PM
    What games are available for the torch and how do they compare to the iphone 4?
    It's hard to take you seriously with that wink there and with one post to your name.

Seriously, skip the iphone and torch altogether and get yourself an actual dedicated portable gaming platform like the nintendo DS or playstation portable (PSP)

Iphone 4 has a dedicated graphics chip and so games will look prettier but mobile phone gaming is still quite limited in controls, function etc. the iphone 4 will have more 'gaming' options due to the fact that the torch is not a gaming platform and lacks open GL but the torch as a phone, it actually holds a reception
    10-16-10 06:18 PM
    To be perfectly honest they don't really match up at all. There are a few good ones for the Torch, but those are probably ports of versions originally for the iPhone. If you're looking for a gaming phone and pick a Blackberry prepare to be severely disappointed. Blackberry's are more about productivity so if you're productive what little selection we have relative to the iPhone shouldn't bother you much. That's how I feel about it anyhow.
    10-16-10 06:19 PM
    Thanks for everyone's imput. The wink was just a thanks for looking at my post. It is a serious post. I have always loved the blackberry and have the old 8010 so I was wondering if they had any games that were comparable related to the torch.
    10-16-10 07:37 PM
    I am not a Blackberry Torch user. What are some good for the blackberry torch? there is no way you can compare the Blackberry game to the Iphone game.
    10-16-10 08:04 PM
    ahh no worries jhnbaker41. It was just my mis-interpretation of it.

My g/f did buy a few games off appworld such as diner dash and for the most part it works well but I wouldn't call them the prettiest looking either.

It's not the easiest (apparently) to develop for but this should all change once QNX for blackberry is released into the wild. porting over from popular mobile platforms like symbian and iOS should makes it way over to RIM devices once a few handsets meet the graphic requirements that other platforms are offering.

I'd still recommend getting a dedicated portable gaming system like the nintendo DS.
    10-17-10 01:25 AM
    I'd still recommend getting a dedicated portable gaming system like the nintendo DS.
    A simple yet profound statement. I agree 100%.
    10-17-10 02:50 AM
    I'd agree that there are not nearly as many good games for the Torch as there are for the iPhone - though I do believe you should be able to have the same quality games on both or at least very close. I think the reason you don't see it very often is the market is so big for iPhone apps that companies that want to spend a lot on making a game tend to spend it on the iPhone version and as someone pointed out above possibly port it at that point to BlackBerry.

When we are building a game, at Concrete Software, we compare any similar games on the iPhone and make sure we believe we've built a better game though we are comparing an iPhone game to a BlackBerry game.

Of course this isn't for all games, again as mentioned above the Torch does not have OpenGL so we can't make any compelling 3D looking games but that doesn't mean you can't make the best casual game - for example a card game.
    10-17-10 06:53 PM
    I got my first chance to actually get a good look at the Torch and it is impressive to say the least. The games that you can get seem to be as good as any for the Iphone4 and it seems a bit more user friendly to me. I was excited when I saw that you can actually play a great looking Sim City on it. I will be using my smart phone for more than just games as I own a business. What types of apps does everyoneuse for their small business on a Torch and how does it help you manage your business lives?
    10-18-10 12:25 PM
    Most of the top selling iphone games don't even tend to utilize opengl. While it's a nice option, you can make very well made 2d games with minimal hardware.

The main issue is that apple has a lot more development because of the type of user base (more likely to spend $$ on games) and lack of device fragmentation. If you want to cover your bases on BB you basically have to make several versions of the game just to deal with the device fragmentation.

That said, there are companies that have made very fun games on the BB, so it's not really a hardware limitation nor should a lack of opengl result in a lack of games...
    10-18-10 02:42 PM
    As someone with the 3gs, I can personally tell you that the appeal of games wears off quickly. I really thought that I would be playing more games on the go, but I rarely take out my phone to do so. I heard bb just got wwf, so it looks like I may be jumping ship next summer haha
    10-18-10 03:57 PM
    As somebody who owns a Torch and (though not an iPhone 4) an iPod Touch, I'd say that:
    - If you want the best games without paying any money for them, get an iPod/iPhone
    - If you're willing to spend money on your games, the Torch is just as good as my iPod
    - If you want non-gaming apps, any blackberry is the way to go
    10-25-10 11:27 AM
    I own a BlackBerry Torch and all have to say to ant of this is that if I wanted to play video games (which I most definitely do!) than I play my PS3. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-10 10:15 PM
    As somebody who owns a Torch and (though not an iPhone 4) an iPod Touch, I'd say that:
    - If you want the best games without paying any money for them, get an iPod/iPhone
    - If you're willing to spend money on your games, the Torch is just as good as my iPod
    - If you want non-gaming apps, any blackberry is the way to go
    I respectfully disagree with your first and third statement, and I can't say anything about your second one.
    I keep looking through the app store on my ipod touch, and the free games (while they have nice graphics) SUCK. IMO, all the decent games on ipod/iphone are not free (but are quite easily pirated, so if you're into that crap get an iphone).
    As far as apps altogether, android imo has the best app selection. That being said, the majority of good android apps seem to be available for BB as well.
    Personally, I use my PSP if I feel like gaming. Like has been said, that's the way to go.
    11-06-10 06:21 PM
    On that subject I just beat Jeanne D'Arc on psp finally. Great game.
    11-08-10 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD