So this started with my frustration in trying to find a good flashlight app for my new 9850. My storm had a perfect one called e-office flashlight, but according to bb appworld and the e-office website, the 9850 doesn't show up as a compatible device. After tinkering around some, I figured out how to get the flashlight on my 9850. and guess what? It works perfectly on the 9850.

anyway, I created a thread to let everyone know how to do what I did and even posted links to the files to make it happen. But then PJD642 had the idea of having a thread dedicated to getting old apps on our new phones. That's what this thread is. I will keep this thread updated best I can. If I miss something, let me know.

1) So first, if you don't have it, you'll need to download and install BBSAK.

You can grab it here.

2) Download the corresponding COD file (see list below).
    3) in BBSAK, click the button that reads "install COD."
    4) direct the window to your downloaded COD and select it.
    5) BBSAK will then install the cod onto your phone.
    7) Poof! Done. In most cases your phone doesn't even need to reboot. The icon for your app should be in folder you have designated as your downloaded folder. (home is the default for the 9850).

You can also use BBSAK to obtain cod files for apps you own on your previous device.

1) Connect phone to computer and open BBSAK
    2) click the "Modify CODs" tab
    3) Select "read system"
    4) the CODs will appear in the right-hand panel
    5) Locate and highlight your corresponding COD file(s).
    6) select "save COD(s)
    7) the default location for your saved CODs will be "C:\Program Files\BBSAK\CODs"
    8) the files in that folder are the ones you can load into your 9850 following the first set of steps above.
    9) Please share your non-paid app CODs with others here if they are not otherwise availabe for the 9850
    NOTE: I personally don't use this method to get CODs. I do something a little different, but it takes longer and is more confusing for beginners. So if anyone finds any errors with my instructions, please let me know.

NOTE: I will try to keep links to cod downloads organized in the second post in this thread. CODs can be obtained via your application backup file. BBSAK is capable of gleaning this from your phone as well.

NOTE: Feel free to share your favorite 9850 incompatible apps here. Upload your cods to a file sharing site and post the link here. Also, let us know of any glitches, if any, we would need to suffer through to use these apps.

NOTE: Update us here in this thread if an app has an update giving us an official version for the 9850

** disclaimer ** I assume no liability for what this may/may not do to your phone. I highly suggest backing up your device before every attempt at loading CODs. If you are uncomfortable doing this, read more about it until you are comfortable or just pass it up altogether. Feel free to read around your friendly CB forums community for help and ask questions if needed.

Cheers to all.

** updated with instructions on obtaining your own COD files.
    Last edited by bobaloo; 09-20-11 at 10:51 AM.
    JerBru and vincentkong like this.
    09-17-11 04:50 PM
    There a few ways to install COD files. BBSAK is one of the easiest

click here to go to BBSAK website to download BBSAK.

Links to cod file downloads below:

1) E-Office Flashlight COD file

2) Ebay

3) Google Maps Google maps can also be downloaded by going to m.google.com/maps from your phone.

4) Google Quick Search

5) Solytare

6) Nickel Buddy's Coin Toss Works great, but doesn't take up whole screen.

7) WeatherBug works great, uses whole screen. Multiple CODs in .zip file. (I have this working on my 9850, but I used a different method to install it. If you're having problems installing this way, let me know and I'll update with instructions on another method. Though it should work using BBSAK.)

8) TD bank app
    Last edited by bobaloo; 10-20-11 at 01:49 PM.
    09-17-11 04:50 PM
    Funny... Phone comes loaded with blackberry protect but appworld says its unavailable...

What about RDM+? Not sure I get the gist of this post. Should I post a link to cods that aren't available in appworld? Or send them to you so you can post them in the first/second post? I've saved every cod I got my hands on since storm1, so if anyone has any requests, lemme know

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-11 05:41 PM
    Upload them to your favorite file share site and post the download link in this thread. Let us know what the cod is for. When I se that there's been a new cod posted, I'll add it to the list at the beginning of this thread. I'll post the link in the second.

And to answer your other question, the spirit of this thread is to keep un-updated apps available to those of us who have upgraded to the 9850 and feel like we may be missing out on things that were available to us on our old devices.

And I'm not very familiar with rdm+ but if it's not available for 9850, aNd you think people are missing it, then by all means share the cod.

09-17-11 07:23 PM
    how would i dl the cods? i want to get ups
    09-17-11 11:11 PM
    I don't know how to post things on a file-sharing site. Not that's its difficult, but I've just never done it and I'm not really interested in taking the time to learn just yet. I do however have a plethora of cods and am more than happy to share them via email/bbm. If someone wants me to send them, hit up the pin in my sig.

RDM+ is a program that allows you to manipulate your home pc with your bb. You can completely control your computer, including downloading/uploading files. Very useful app and well worth the money for me.

09-17-11 11:38 PM
    I don't know how to post things on a file-sharing site. Not that's its difficult, but I've just never done it and I'm not really interested in taking the time to learn just yet. I do however have a plethora of cods and am more than happy to share them via email/bbm. If someone wants me to send them, hit up the pin in my sig.

RDM+ is a program that allows you to manipulate your home pc with your bb. You can completely control your computer, including downloading/uploading files. Very useful app and well worth the money for me.

Nothing to learn really. Examples of file sharing sites are Mediafire.com, megaupload.com, rapidshare.com, and many others. Drop box is also capable of sharing designated files or folders with others. i personally like mediafire because they don't seem to hold back bandwidth for non-premium members. Anyway, register an account, and you can upload away. after the file is uploaded, it will have its own unique link that you can share for others to download.

If you aren't in the mood to figure out one of the file sharing sites, shoot me a PM. I'll give you an email address you can send any cods to.
    09-18-11 03:15 PM
    Here's an oldie:

Solytare
    Solytare.cod
    09-18-11 04:15 PM
    Has anyone tried Pattern Lock??? That's the app I really would like to get working on my 9850...
    zolt11 likes this.
    09-18-11 04:49 PM
    I have to wait till I'm back at work, which is where all my backup files are, but I'm going to add Nickel Buddy's Coin Toss app. It was a great app, and it works great on the 9850. It only takes up about half the screen, but it still looks okay and it works perfectly.

ill look into some others too
    09-18-11 04:54 PM
    Babaloo...don't you have an app called "one touch flashlight" available to you in appworld? I have this on my 9930 and it is terrific.

09-18-11 05:37 PM
    +1 on PatternLock.

Also, I'd love to get the FiOS Digital Voice and FiOS TV Remote DVR apps that I had on my 9550 working on my 9850. If anyone has pulled this off, please post. Thanks.
    09-18-11 07:00 PM
    The thing the OP failed to mention that is in order to get these apps / .cods.. you need to dump your old phone using BBSAK as well.. once dumped from your older phone, where the app was available... you can then load the .cods to your new phone, where the apps aren't available via BBSAK as well.
    fotodadi likes this.
    09-19-11 03:41 AM
    Lets just please be careful that you are NOT passing around an app that is a PAID app... Its fine if you are transferring it from your old to new phone, but Please dont share with others. Not cool to the devs.
    09-19-11 06:20 AM
    +1 on PatternLock.
    +2 on patternlock
    09-20-11 12:34 AM
    The thing the OP failed to mention that is in order to get these apps / .cods.. you need to dump your old phone using BBSAK as well.. once dumped from your older phone, where the app was available... you can then load the .cods to your new phone, where the apps aren't available via BBSAK as well.
    Thanks!!!

Great stuff. Just did it from my old phone to the new and have move my apps. However, are they are not 9850 specific, they arent filling up the screen correctly. But its better than not having them. and makes the wait for the correct ones so much easier.
    09-20-11 10:38 AM
    Okay. I updated the first post with instructions on how to get your COD files from your previous device.

So if there is an app you're missing because it's not available for your 9850, grab the COD from your old device and try installing it on the 9850. If it works out AND IT'S A NON-PAID APP, please share the cod with us here.

cheers
    09-20-11 10:55 AM
    So this started with my frustration in trying to find a good flashlight app for my new 9850. My storm had a perfect one called e-office flashlight, but according to bb appworld and the e-office website, the 9850 doesn't show up as a compatible device. After tinkering around some, I figured out how to get the flashlight on my 9850. and guess what? It works perfectly on the 9850.

anyway, I created a thread to let everyone know how to do what I did and even posted links to the files to make it happen. But then PJD642 had the idea of having a thread dedicated to getting old apps on our new phones. That's what this thread is. I will keep this thread updated best I can. If I miss something, let me know.

1) So first, if you don't have it, you'll need to download and install BBSAK.

You can grab it here.

2) Download the corresponding COD file (see list below).
    3) in BBSAK, click the button that reads "install COD."
    4) direct the window to your downloaded COD and select it.
    5) BBSAK will then install the cod onto your phone.
    7) Poof! Done. In most cases your phone doesn't even need to reboot. The icon for your app should be in folder you have designated as your downloaded folder. (home is the default for the 9850).

You can also use BBSAK to obtain cod files for apps you own on your previous device.

1) Connect phone to computer and open BBSAK
    2) click the "Modify CODs" tab
    3) Select "read system"
    4) the CODs will appear in the right-hand panel
    5) Locate and highlight your corresponding COD file(s).
    6) select "save COD(s)
    7) the default location for your saved CODs will be "C:\Program Files\BBSAK\CODs"
    8) the files in that folder are the ones you can load into your 9850 following the first set of steps above.
    9) Please share your non-paid app CODs with others here if they are not otherwise availabe for the 9850
    NOTE: I personally don't use this method to get CODs. I do something a little different, but it takes longer and is more confusing for beginners. So if anyone finds any errors with my instructions, please let me know.

NOTE: I will try to keep links to cod downloads organized in the second post in this thread. CODs can be obtained via your application backup file. BBSAK is capable of gleaning this from your phone as well.

NOTE: Feel free to share your favorite 9850 incompatible apps here. Upload your cods to a file sharing site and post the link here. Also, let us know of any glitches, if any, we would need to suffer through to use these apps.

NOTE: Update us here in this thread if an app has an update giving us an official version for the 9850

** disclaimer ** I assume no liability for what this may/may not do to your phone. I highly suggest backing up your device before every attempt at loading CODs. If you are uncomfortable doing this, read more about it until you are comfortable or just pass it up altogether. Feel free to read around your friendly CB forums community for help and ask questions if needed.

Cheers to all.

** updated with instructions on obtaining your own COD files.
    Hi. I tried this last night. I copied 2 apps (AIM instant messenger by RIM and AOL instant messenger) and 1 theme purchased through Blackberry World from my old Storm 9550. I followed the instructions and was able to copy their respective COD files on to my PC. But for some reason, when I copied the COD files to my Torch 9850, I didn't see the new COD's in the main menu at all. I wanted to point out that there was activity on my Torch when the files were being copied over. It looked like it went through a reboot. Any ideas on where the COD's went?

Thanks. Was anyone able to copy these particular COD's and install them to another BB with success? a) AIM instant messenger b) AOL instant messenger c) theme

Any ideas?
    09-20-11 02:49 PM
    If there was activity when the cods were being copied, I'd try reloading them. I turn off radio and wifi when doing anything like this just to be safe.

And isn't AOL instant messenger on the 9850 already? I moved my link to my junk folder.

Last edited by PJD642; 09-20-11 at 05:07 PM.
    09-20-11 03:17 PM
    Nothing to learn really. Examples of file sharing sites are Mediafire.com, megaupload.com, rapidshare.com, and many others. Drop box is also capable of sharing designated files or folders with others. i personally like mediafire because they don't seem to hold back bandwidth for non-premium members. Anyway, register an account, and you can upload away. after the file is uploaded, it will have its own unique link that you can share for others to download.

If you aren't in the mood to figure out one of the file sharing sites, shoot me a PM. I'll give you an email address you can send any cods to.

I have almost a gig of COD's dating back to 2009 on for the S1 (including dups). Everything from the old appworld COD's to just about any other useful app that came pre-loaded or not.

I'll try to get them all organized by name and date (dont know how to do app version number) and package them up for uploading. In the meantime, feel free to hit me up if anyone has a special request.

Will each COD need to have its own link? Any other pointers before i get started? Is this even going to be the slightest bit useful for anyone else?

EDIT: forgot to mention, I also have a Storm1 and Storm2 sittin around. I could download apps that would otherwise be unavailable to OS 7 users and post them/email them to someone to post
    Last edited by bmoney1229; 09-20-11 at 11:27 PM.
    09-20-11 11:24 PM
    Lets just please be careful that you are NOT passing around an app that is a PAID app... Its fine if you are transferring it from your old to new phone, but Please dont share with others. Not cool to the devs.

Good point and not planning on it. Do you think it would be okay to pass along the paid apps that require a unique registration code?
    09-20-11 11:30 PM
    If there was activity when the cods were being copied, I'd try reloading them. I turn off radio and wifi when doing anything like this just to be safe.

And isn't AOL instant messenger on the 9850 already? I moved my link to my junk folder.

Looks like I was able to finally see AOL instant messenger loaded. Yeah! No. The AOL instant messenger isn't available on the 9850. It isn't available on Blackberry World for OS 7 yet. Not sure what link you moved to your junk folder then.
    However, I gave up on trying to load the theme. It says it was successfully loaded but I didn't see it on the HOME page. The AOL instant messenger is already an accomplishment for me.
    09-20-11 11:42 PM
    Has anyone tried Pattern Lock??? That's the app I really would like to get working on my 9850...
    I transferred Patternlock from my Storm 2. It doesn't size correctly on the 9850 but it does sort of work. I have my contacts pattern locked but I can bypass by going through the phone app, and selecting the contacts tab.

09-21-11 07:06 AM
    Added Coin Toss by Nickel Buddy to the second post. One of my first favorite storm apps.

It flips a coin and keeps a count of heads/tails. Simple and looks nice. doesn't take up the whole screen, but still very usable.
    09-21-11 10:35 AM
    I have almost a gig of COD's dating back to 2009 on for the S1 (including dups). Everything from the old appworld COD's to just about any other useful app that came pre-loaded or not.

I'll try to get them all organized by name and date (dont know how to do app version number) and package them up for uploading. In the meantime, feel free to hit me up if anyone has a special request.

Will each COD need to have its own link? Any other pointers before i get started? Is this even going to be the slightest bit useful for anyone else?

EDIT: forgot to mention, I also have a Storm1 and Storm2 sittin around. I could download apps that would otherwise be unavailable to OS 7 users and post them/email them to someone to post
    I wouldn't go toooo crazy spending all the time organizing them and posting all of them. Maybe read through what you have and see what apps trigger a nostalgic feeling of stormy goodness. If any do and they're not avaialable on the 9850, then upload those.

I have my entire nearly three-year history of storm apps saved as well, so if there's something someone is looking for, let us know and I'll check to see if I have it.
    09-21-11 10:39 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD